Grupo M Textile Factory Santiago

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Just saw this article on the net, because this company may be going to Haiti with help of World Bank. What concerns does the World Bank actually have? Very interesting, I believe Hillbilly, you mentioned something about going to see this company when I visited Santiago. Just to bring some awareness... Anyone else heard anything on this and human rights violations?

Upon advice, here is the site. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.icftu.org/displaydocument.asp?Index=991218414&Language=EN

Last edited:

WINSTRIC

Jan 7, 2003
Hi Meridth.
I have been in Grupo M's screenprinting plant (DPI) in Santiago,
a number of times. It is clean and "state of the art". I at NO time
have seen or heard of Human Rights violations. And if I did I would be the FIRST to inform their customers and vendors. I have
seen many factories, in First World countries that would love too have facilites that nice. I am not saying, that an ISOLATED incident
could not happen, but it would be isolated. Grupo M has too much
too loose, for that kind of problems. The industry is too small and
close(rumor mill), I would hear it. Human Rights violations should NEVER BE TOLORATED. EVER. If Group M wants to build a factory in
Haiti, then God Bless Them. In my knowledge, there are not too many people willing to take that chance. They should be encouraged with whatever help possible. The Haitian Government
sure isnt helping the cause.

Regards,
Winston Strickland

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know Grupo M from a study I did in 1999 for an international development and campaigning organisation about conditions in DR free trade zones. They came out as a pretty positive example of good practice, abiding by the codes of conduct set by contractors such as Gap, Levi Strauss and co and others. PM me if you want more information.

The link you posted did not work for me, but I had heard about the case of them building a new factory on farming lands on the Haitian side of the border near Ouanaminthe. Is this what the article is about?

Chiri

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The link was working late last night. But you're right chiri it's not working now. Maybe Mere can fix it.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
I have no idea what happened to my link! It worked when I put it on there, Anna even went to it. Now, it totally disappeared and when I try the link I bookmarked, that doesn't work either, so it's a lost cause right now.
Thanks for the replies, good article, too bad it's lost now.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
IT WORKS AGAIN! I don't know what is going on, but the site works again, so go check it out if you get the chance and let me know what you think because everyone on the site has a differing opinion on what is going on in the factory. Let me know!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Mere,

You have to look at the source.
Anti-corporation
Anti-free trade
Anti- Capitalism

Sorry but one guy complaining with no evidence to back it up!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
screen printing in grupo plant

Winston -first time I saw your name on this board. Dont know if you read your PM but would like to contact you John (Ambassador Arts NYC) PM me with your E mail

Apologies to the moderator for going a little off base here--old friend, I think, that I would like to talk to