Digital Camera question

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
I just got a digital camera and I want to take it to the RD in the future but I do not know how to get the pictures onto a computer then onto a disk to have printed so I can clear the memory and take more pix. At home I just put them onto my laptop with a kodak program. I have never had any printed because I cant get a connection to the internet to send to any photo store and do not have a burner on my lap top.
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

jaymo517

Oct 4, 2003
Helps on the way

If I'm not mistaken, you have two choices.

1. Create a seperate folder on your desktop & copy your photos to that folder, that will save the photos & you can start over.

2. Depending on where you live, (I live in NYC), you now can take your memory card to CVS, Duane Reed, or Rite Aid photomat places & they can create a CD or real photos from your memory card

Hope I am right, thats how I've been taking photos in DR

Camera

Every camera is different some will upload direct from camera to hard drive via the software that comes with the camers, mine you plug in the USB cable turn on camera and it automatically senses the camera is attached to the computer and upload program start instantly.
Others require you to start the software and put the card into a card reader.
Best read the instruction manual, no one will be able to help you unless they no the make and model of your camera and what software you have.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If you were able to get them on you computer, shrink them a bit and put them on floppy's.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Are you worried your camera will run out of space?

1)Just bring the laptop along and you can unload the photos as you go.

or

2)Bring the software and cable along and unload photos in one of many internet cafes here, email them to yourself. (open 2 or 3 new Yahoo email accounts if you don't think they'll fit)

or

3) get some extra (larger) memory cards for the camera, depending on the type of card it takes there are cards out there that can hold literally thousands of pictures, though they may cost almost as much as your camera. A reasonably sized memory card upgrade won't cost that much and will hold over a hundred good quality pictures.

If you post the model of the camera I can tell you what kind of memory card to get. (there are 6 different types, not cross compatible)

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
MEmory card

I have a memory card for this camera (kodak 3.1 dx) The card can hold like 250 pix. But i take alot and I dont want to bring my lap top with me out of fear it will get stolen. I just have to figure out if I can download my program onto a computer there and then email the file to myself.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
well if 250 pictures isn't enough for you then your email inbox is going to fill up fast.

You are probably going to have to get some more memory cards, they are only 35 bucks or so from what I can tell.

If you are stopping in Santiago on your trip I can burn pictures to CD for you, let me know if there's any way I can help. (I have the memory cards too, but they will be cheaper for you if you buy them in the states)

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Re: MEmory card

Raquel said:
I have a memory card for this camera (kodak 3.1 dx) The card can hold like 250 pix. But i take alot and I dont want to bring my lap top with me out of fear it will get stolen. I just have to figure out if I can download my program onto a computer there and then email the file to myself.

I say take your laptop, it will save you alot of troubles. I took my cam with me on my last trip and dumped all of the photos on to my friends computer. My plan was almost the same as yours, but instead of emailing I planned on uploading them to my Sony Imagestation webpage. The problem that I ran into was that it took forever to upload one folder because it was large and he had 56k. In the end I just bought him a burner and sent it to DR via air mail. That was my experience, but here are some of the chances you'll be taking:
1. Your software my not be compatible with the computer you plan on using.
2. A public internet cafe might not let you install the software.
3. Your email service most likely has a limit to how big the attachments may be.
4. If you take alot of photos, you're going to spend alot of hours attaching each photo one by one.

These are only some things to think about. I know if I had a laptop, I would've definately taken it to save myself all the trouble I've gone through trying to get my photos. Good luck.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Raquel, I travel....

a lot and have same issues as you. I don't like hauling my laptop around, mainly because it's quite a load in the backpack. I'd advise just going ahead and buying an extra 256K memory card [Compact Flash I think] for your camera. Price Club has them for about $45.

It may also help to practice a little discipline and cull out bad shots as you go.

Best, P

DRFLaCo

Apr 29, 2003
plaza.ufl.edu
Digital Camera - DR Visit

Leave the Lap-Top at home.

Instead purchase some additional memory cards; camera stores, E-Bay or Office Supply Store for the camera. Review and delete pictures as you take them.

Create a CD when you get back home as well uploading some all to a on-line photo album; yahoo.photos.com.

Make sure to carry extra 'sets' of batteries for the camer. Shame if you could not take all those pictures due to lacking power to run camera or flash.

One last suggestion. Purchase some disposable 35MM cameras. Some with equipped with flash and suitable to use around water. Take the pictures and upon return from your trip, take the camera to have them processed and images put on a diskett or if you have enough make a CD (approximately 5X24 images will fit on a single CD).

A combination of digital as well as use of 35MM print camera by several members of same family resulted in over eight hundred pictures during a visit in 1999 to country. Albums; Carlos, Ott and La_Romana is on-line: http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~ufflaco/Dominican_Republic

Carlos Alejandro Delgado
Gainesville, FL
http://plaza.ufl.edu/flaco
DR: 1949-1966; 1999

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
Pix in the wallet

Racquel, get yourself what is known as a picture or image wallet.
These are handy small, walkmansize gadget that can store all the pix you take on a trip. Just plug the USB cord on your digicam and presto.
You might also consider going to a public internet cafe and specifically ask for a PC running on Windows2000 or XP. These OS should identify your cameras USB and configure automatically, allowing you to send your pix ahead to your mailbox.
I would not recommend sending your treasured photos to a hotmail or yahoo adress, or putting them on one of these free storage-sites on the web.
In Santo Domingo, look for a well-equiped internetcafe. I used http://www.derematecenter.com . Will do it again, but this time I bring my own blanc CD-Rs to burn my pix on. Hope this helps!