Playa Grande Rumors?

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Is it true that Playa Grande is totally gone? This was one of the best spots in the DR. I hear it's all gone now. Is the beach right after (non-commercial portion) still there?

Anybody has pictures of it now. I have great pictures of the beach then but wonder what it looks like now.

Thanks,

ecarignan

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Apparently all that's left are big rocks and a steep drop from the parking lot to the sea. Some hurricane took it away. May be Isabelle.

Any info would be much appreciated..

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I think Playa Grande is still intact. I have family and friends who live near the beach and they haven't mentioned a thing.

I have heard a rumour that a new hotel might be set up beside Caribbean Village on Playa Grande. We'll see if that happens or not.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
HB knows more but...

Yes, the old Playa Grande stomping ground is gone, all washed away. A shell of a beach bar is still there.

This destruction occured during/from Georges I believe - but it may have been a less significant storm. The area before is still the golf course and the area after will be another golf course by the same people. There is a model of it in the clubhouse of Playa Grande Golf Course.

There is also a newer resort up on the hill, the name escapes me, but I believe it was - in essence - to replace the Playa Grande of old.

This is just information I've heard from various sources while golfing up there, I'm sure one of the Nor'Coasters knows more definitive details and they probably weren't drinking as many beers as I was when I heard it.

Last edited:

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
From Sosua Info Club

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:40:33 -0000
Subject: Playa Grande

For those of you who have visited Playa Grande and love to go back,
I'm sorry to say that it's gone. Wiped out by God only knows. Where
there was sand from the tree line, and out anywhere from 100 to 200
feet to the water, there is now just a drop into the ocean and a
bunch of huge exposed rocks.
It's always been one of my favorite spots, here on the North coast
and I really hope Mother Nature sees fit to give it back to us one
day.
The good news is that whatever storm or water condition that managed
to steal the sand away from Playa Grande, it had no effect
whatsoever on Playa Caleton, just East of Rio San Juan.
While Playa Caleton doesn't have those great "boogy board" type
waves, it's a great place to go for a swim.
Marco.
PS: Exchange rate is climbing everyday. It's up to 34.3 pesos to the
US dollar.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Bad joke???

I was playing golf there Sunday and the beach looked lovely as usual...

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Re: Bad joke???

DR Mpe said:
I was playing golf there Sunday and the beach looked lovely as usual...
No, but what you are looking at is just the Playa Grande Beach. I believe what the OP was asking about was the Hotel/Club - whatever, that was called Playa Grande.

Again, from what I understand, when you get to hole 13 (I believe - whatever green looks over the beach) the old Playa Grande was tucked into that closer corner. Next time look down there and you'll see where the walkway/stairtower was destroyed, and the remains of a building/outdoor bar, something.

I haven't been down to the beach yet, but it looked great from the green/tee. Really nice waves - on a calm day from all indications - an off-shore breeze was stacking up consistent bands of 3-4' waves, maybe taller. It looked very sparsely populated - another bonus.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Playa Grande

I guess I should have been a bit more precise in my original post in our Yahoo group.
The beach I was describing, always known to me as Playa Grande, is the beach that you access from the North coast highway, that enters a huge parking lot approx. 1/2 mile wide, set amongst the trees, with the food casetas to your left as you enter. That is the part of the beach that has been washed away as of approx. 1 month. It is possible to swim in the area directly in front of the casetas, but the rest of it seems too dangerous, as there are huge rocks sticking out all over the place. From the treeline, the land drops off at a sharp angle, straight into the ocean.
As I remember Playa Grande, the distance from the tree line to the water was similar in distance to Cabarete beach, from the restaurants to the water. Now it's approx 10 feet.
This is no joke. I wish it was.
Marco.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Thanks Marco for the clarifications. That's a very bad news. This place was so beautifull. I wonder if it's safe to swim and hang out on the beach right after the parking lot (the unpopulated beach) or was that washed away too?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Playa Grande

I didn't go to the far end of the beach, but from where I stood, it looked worse in the easterly direction.
If I'm out that way again soon, I'll let you know.
Marco.