Any way to sidestep ticket change penalty from SDQ- DFW ?

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
I have two US visitors here who want to delay their trip back to Texas from Oct 10 (Fri) to Oct 14 (Tue) while sticking to the same flight schedules:

AA 1218 SDQ- SJU 14:40- 15:37
AA601 SJU- DFW 17:03-21:03

They flights were booked using AAdavantage miles and I was told that if they want to make this change, they will EACH have to pay US$110 !!

I'm aware that seating availability is not an issue on those flights and on Oct 14, and I seem to remember that if they just show up at the airport, they could fly stand-by. But AA said that they will still have to pay US$110.

My quesions is: Is there no longer such a thing as a "stand-by" anymore where one get on the flight assuming availiability ? Or does "stand-by" apply only to flight change to an earlier date instead to a later date (as is their case now) ?

Will appreciate any feedback on this.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Unless in Premium Class they Charge Fees

Formosano2000 said:
[snip]

They flights were booked using AAdavantage miles and I was told that if they want to make this change, they will EACH have to pay US$110 !!

I'm aware that seating availability is not an issue on those flights and on Oct 14, and I seem to remember that if they just show up at the airport, they could fly stand-by. But AA said that they will still have to pay US$110.

My quesions is: Is there no longer such a thing as a "stand-by" anymore where one get on the flight assuming availiability ? Or does "stand-by" apply only to flight change to an earlier date instead to a later date (as is their case now) ?

Will appreciate any feedback on this.

Standby works a lot better if you are going back a day or three earlier or at least earlier on the same day - to "decide" to change from the 10th to the 14th amounts to a no-show on the 10th, kissing the return flight goodbye.

(Specifically, they have to be told in advance of the 10th to KNOW you are not there on the 10th for a reason - you plan to go later) and as such you have to change the date of your flight.

So you have to rebook and pay their change fee.

If you want a lot of advice on this subject (and I mean a LOT) go to www.flyertalk.com then into the Milestalk area and the AA forum and ask there and get the same info from another group that covers only this sort of thing.

If they were flying in J/1st class on points they don't charge to change those flights but if you cancel it outright they do charge to put the points back.

Frankly to extend a trip that cost zero for $220 for 2 persons is so inconsequential, I'd say not to dilly-dally (and lose the LIMITED seat inventory on the 14th) just change it PDQ and not freak out over the fees.

Last edited:

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Other airlines dont charge any pennalty for Awards tickets or earn miles ticket....amazing AA will charge for that...there no fare value on thoses tkt..just taxes..

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Thanks !

Thanks for the advice, Rick !

I had them change tickets the proper way through AA and pay the penalty. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Thanks again.