Driving in Dominican Rep.

rediwat

Oct 7, 2003
I am coming to Punta Cana in January for a week and would like to rent a car. Would much appreciate comments from people who have done so and can write about their experiences. I plan to use the rental to play golf at some places a bit away from where I am staying, at the Fiesta Princess. Also, does anyone know the cost for a taxi in Punta Cana? Our agent claimed that a 1/2 hour taxi could cost 30-40 US. Is that true?

IN addition, we plan to drive over to Casa de campo to play golf at Teeth of the Dog. Any comments on roads over there, problems with driving, etc.. (please give both good and bad experiences with driving)..much appreciated.

Steven

White Rock, BC
(Canada)

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
May God be with you!!

Although I don't feel like discouraging you from renting a car... You have a real challenge ahead IF you go for it.

Driving in the DR is INSANE, specially on the roads connecting different towns... NEVER drive at night: Cars and bikes with no lights, people crossing major avenues at any point, no road signs, not even a mere line on the road - Motorbikes and minibuses overtaking you from your right... Anything is acceptable when it comes to driving, so beware!

Taxis are indeed very expensive in PUJ, so I would suggest that you try to negotiate with a taxi driver (from the resort - so you have someone to claim in case things don't go as planned) a good rate to take you to all the places you want to go... Bargain.

OR, check if an employee of the hotel with a car is willing to act as a driver... I'm sure you'll get a much better deal that way and they will make some extra $$$.

If you are adventurous AND a good driver, go for it. If not, forget it!

Have fun anyway.

Yan-Yan

You need to be honest with yourself, How good a driver are you!!!
I personally like driving in DR because everyday is a new adventure but the first time I drove there I needed a drink and since then I have found out I drive better drunk there than sober!!!:cool: you will save money renting than using taxis everywhere, but please dont drive from casa de campo to punta cana at night!!!! because I fear we will never hear from you again.
Other than that have fun and be careful. Be an offensive driver in DR always remember A good offense is better than defense.:cool:
Pat

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Just be careful

Driving in DR is a piece of cake to me because I drive amongst NYC taxi drivers and bridge & tunnel people. On the road in DR always be alert. Driving at night is a mess due to no streetlights, any signs or bad visibility. Please purchase the insurance. Earlier this year I drove from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana. It was an experience. I almost had one real bad accident. The roads after the sun goes down are very dark with people crossing and mopeds dashing out from the side. I made it safely. Now I always drive in DR you just must be careful. Like someone in an earlier post said. It depends on your driving skills.
Enjoy

rediwat

Oct 7, 2003
DFriving in the Dominican Republic

Thanks to those of you who have been so kind to reply. I have heard all the stories, and realize renting a car is not the choice of everyone, to say the least.

Yet, I am heartened that several of you have commented that things are much better if one drives in the day, which is the only time I plan on driving. Also, the fact that several have commented on the need to have good driving skills...which, fortunately, I do have...36 years of having a license and the one accident occurred when a drive plowed into me at a stop sign...so, of course, it can happen...I know that. But I was not at fault. Though, if one is in a serious accident, I guess, in the end, who is at fault is irrelevant. I realize it is risky to drive in another country with the lack of safeguards, and many drivers, apparently, not having drivers licenses. By the way, is that actually true? Anyone know for sure if that is the case? Also, what about the police? Is there any police presence on the road, at all? Or only to try to get a ?Bribe?" I hate to say that, sounds like stereotyping. I am only printing what I have heard, not what I necessarily believe in this regard. I still have not made a decision. I am thinking that since I am in a country and region (Punta Cana) in which perhaps there are not many rentals, perhaps I can just wait until I get to Punta Cana and then decide for myself. Any thoughts on that approach are much appreciated. Again, thanks to all who have resonded so far.

Steven

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Like someone on the board once said (I think it was Hillbilly), to drive in the DR, you need 8 eyes like a spider... That's quite true, 4 eyes for the four corners of the car, and 2 eyes for front and back and 2 more for what is going to dash out at you from totally unexpected angles. Then you're still short of a few eyes for the cows, horses, donkeys, dogs, goats (chivos), etc etc and cute little Dominican babies on the side of the road. It took me six months before I could get on the road without needing a drink after the journey! Yeah, I've driven in New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Rome and a few other European Countries, and Central America. New York cabs have a system that one can figure out - Dominican drivers also have a system, which you have to figure out as you go.

rediwat

Oct 7, 2003
Rental Companies for cars

Just wondering from people who have rented a car, what companies have they used and what have been their experiences?
I have had a difficulty with most companies just figuring out what they cover and the rest of the meaning of their rules and regs.

On the other hand, the EuropeCar insurance company has been, refreshingly, clear and to the point with all their information. yet, I don't know yet how good they really are...since I have not rented yet. Anyone can help with information in this regard?

Again, thanks very much.

Steven.
White Rock, BC
(Canada)

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Just be careful

curlando said:
Driving in DR is a piece of cake to me because I drive amongst NYC taxi drivers and bridge & tunnel people. On the road in DR always be alert.

I think driving in NYC and Italy is much worse than driving in the DR. You're right is a piece of cake by comparison.

Just be alert.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For the past two weeks I have been driving in England. It's like everything is in slow motion :) People give way, stay in lane and stick to the rules, it's so boring!

Speed cameras, red light cameras, CCTV cameras, Cops, helicopters, speed bumps, traffic wardens, unmarked cars etc etc. You can't have fun driving in the UK anymore :(

Just use common sense and be vary aware of your surroundings when you drive in the DR and you should be fine.

If you can avoid driving at night and only stick to the major roads, I'm sure you will be a better driver at the end of the "experience".

Matt & Nan

Sep 19, 2003
We rented a car in Sosua and drove to Las Terrenas in Samana. Sorry I can't remember the place we rented from. We paid $240.00 US for the week.Driving was more than fine. What a view the whole trip. We did no driving at night.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Rediwat - Have you checked into public buses to get you where you want to go? Cheapest way to go.

If you rent a car at your resort, expect to pay big bucks. It was $65/day at Casa de Campo. Check with your credit card company before coming down to see if they insure rentals when using their card. You'll save bux.

You should be ok thru the day if you rent. Just wear seat belt and keep alert. Don't drive fast; the unexpected potholes can cause you to lose control - or a scooter to lose control & you sure don't want to plow in to one of those!

Matt & Nan - That's a little high for the week, unless you were renting an SUV.

Little_Monkey

Sep 2, 2002
National Car rental

I would suggest National Car Rental. I have used them in the past and they seem fair. Don't use the small car rental places because the could rip you off......(so I have heard)

Driving in the DR is so different and crazy....Just use caution at all times and have a beer and have fun. It's a roller coaster ride !!!

...Little Monkey

P.S. It's not so bad, just be careful.

barbchuck

Oct 14, 2003
Can anyone suggest a good driving tour/route from la Romana?

My hubby and I are definitely renting a car, like we always do.
We have driven on so many Islands..St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, The Abacos, Cancun, Puerto Rico, all over! We love seeing the "REAL country! The people and how they live..we love to get some Culture.
Not worried about the roads, drivers, driving skills..
But,
worried about the trip we take IE: crime, car jacking, hustlers...beggars..
We are in the business of building luxury homes, and enjoy looking at the upscale, wealthy areas of each place we go.
Where are the "rich" neighborhoods?
How do we get ther from La Romana?
And a nice scenic route near the sea would be nice as well.

Thanks,

Barb