Phoning home??

Neverest

Oct 5, 2003
any advice? i need to call home while in DR on trip next wk..
what do you all suggest as the most cost effective way to reach out and touch loved ones left behind?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Use a Calling Shop, Oddly Enough, They are Chock a Block with Phones

If you go to a Codetel calling office and use a phone there ( the ones in Boca Chica are even metered while you talk) you will make an affordable call. Probably less than your US carrier to the DR, per minute. Quality is fine.

DO NOT !!! Use the "idiot tourist phones" with the "HOT" logo/designation that take credit cards unless you are happy paying $5 or more per minute vs. about 4 pesos, which is about 15 cents.

If you want a lot if privacy scrunch up in the booth when you call. They can be a little loud but not so bad you cannot call.

You can also buy Codetel cards and find a free Codetel blue phone (well not free, but you use the Codetel card with it vs. coins) and use that, dial 611 for directions, step by step in English.

This may apply to pay phones if you can find one that works and is reasonably clean. Stick to the calling offices.

Don't dial direct from the hotel, of course this advice is the same for the criminally high phone rates in a US hotel too.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with going to the codetel office. Don't be surprised at the guard with the shot gun. He's just there making sure nobody makes a new call before the old calls are paid for, and keeping people calm while waiting for the computer to say the phone is ready again, I think.
:)
mk

Neverest

Oct 5, 2003
phoning US

thanks you guys, home is North Carolina, in the US.
We're going to be staying at the Riu Palace, is there a Codetel phone wfin walking distance of these big hotels??
Really looking forward to it...and we're not scared of the guns 'less they point 'em at US!! tks d-