Reducing rental commissions

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hi,

I've decided to move to a nicer place. I'm looking for suggestions on ways to keep down the commission realtors/lawyers want to charge.

I've been through the apartment search game before in Santiago. As usual the real estate people are totally disorganized and don't show many properties, are late, etc. Yet, they immediately expect 1 month commission for their "work" if I decide I like the place. Some even are extra "generous" and offer to pay for the contract.

Their impressive work involves opening the door and showing the house. And they expect to make RD $10,000 for that. I don't mind paying for good service, but I find these guys to be really bad.

I've tried advertising in the newspaper to find leads, but that just ended up being time consuming and not producing good results.

Does anyone have any thoughts on avoiding this/negotiating it down?

Adrian

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Rental Commissions

Rental commission and sales commissions are absolutely insane here on the "Big Rock". I would rather pass these savings on to the customer rather than GIVE pesos away to those who do nothing but lay a snare and wait for a prey to step into it. I bought apartments here in Sousa and renovated in such a way that it created curb appeal and value for the customer . Through blood, sweat and tears I labored only to have to give 9 or 10% commission or a month's rental to someone who's only job is as you so elegantly stated"open the door for you". I wish there were a way for two bodies to reach each other rather than having to pay for the obvious.There are no codes of ethics governing this business. Seems to me everyone is in bed with each other. Value should be created with inventory not exorbiant commissions driving. Everyone in this world have two things in common. (1) To earning a living. (2) To get value for what they pay for. I get pretty snarly if these two components don't come into play. This is just my take on the matter and in no way should my thoughts and opinions foster any retributions or ill will to those in the business. I'm just a "po" "ol" country boy from Texas!!!

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Yeah, I agree with what you write - they are really frustrating.

I'm going to experiment with this tomorrow:

I'm setting up to offer a bunch of motoconcho drivers from RD $50- RD $100 per house they find me that meets my specifications. Hopefully this will motivate them. I have a friend that knows a bunch of them, and they trust her.

I'm giving them a list of suburbs to scan tomorrow and tuesday in Santiago. At the end, I hope to have a decent list of all the available places where I want to live for about US $30.

I may get lucky and find a house whos owners do not charge commission, as sometimes people know about unadvertised houses in the colmados, and the motoconchos may find these.

We'll see what happens. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results.

Adrian

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
haha.. well it hasn't quite turned into a "total motoconcho onslaught".

I set this up via my assistant, who decided she only wanted to work with her motoconcho driver friend. No, I don't know why. Yes, I trust her.

Anyways, I talked with her today, and they've found 2 more places so far, in areas that I like. So even with just those its turned out great.

I'm happy, because I was in Jarabacoa, studying some marketing strategies, and have invested zero time in this.

My total cost is about $5 so far. I expect they'll find at least one or two more places this afternoon.

Adrian

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I'm looking for a house to move to also, and would love not to pay someone a "commission". The whole idea of a commission that is paid by the customer directly over and above the price of a service offends me completely, especially when I'm the one paying it.

Unfortunately good rental properties do seem to be at a premium and rarely stay on the market for fmore than a day or two (in my experience) In previous apartment hunting adventures I've had places rented out from under me from not acting fast enough - so I'm sure I'll end up paying a commission all the same.