May he rest in peace, Johnny Honda.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
May he rest in peace.

I've just been informed that one of our posters and a good friend Johnny Honda passed away last night. I'll post details concerning the funeral as I get them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What a shock! Please post details re cause of death. Accident on his motorcycle? illness?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I'm at a lost!!!

Our condolences to his loved one's

I will surly miss his comments and opinions.

Tim H.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm in shock!

My heart goes out to his family, he was a one of a kind guy!

Please, as soon as anyone has any info, please post it here.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Me too!

Robert said:
I'm in shock!
I barely knew Johnny. But we'd shared stories and drinks on several occasions at Eddy's. We had planned to get together again as soon as he got back from Canada. He told me of his retirement plans with great enthusiasm that night there in Eddy's. He was finally ready to give up the rat race, even here, for some peace. This is so sad.

From the Sousa Message board at Yahoo:

"With great sadness we must report the loss of a Sosua friend. Johnny Cromier or as most knew him Johnny Honda passed away Monday morning October 13, 2003 of kidney failure. We all knew Johnny as a story teller and friend to Dominicans and ExPats alike. If you have an interesting story about your rememberence of him why not take time to share it with others via this message board. Our thoughts go out to his wife Evelyn in los Jaliscos, his family in Canada, and his many friends in Sosua and through out the world."

Goodbye, Johnny. You made another good friend, and you will be missed. I will try to do what you asked. Rest in Peace.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Up Date

I've just been informed that he died of liver and lung complications. His body is at this minute at his home. A decision is to be made how it will be disposed of.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Johnny Honda

L-JOHNNYHONDA.JPG

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
what the hell?????

Oh my god, he just called me last weekend, I was away and didn't have cel signal. I guess he also had a bad signal because I didn't understand a word he said on the answering service because his sound was cutting and chopping. I tried to call him back but I heard a recording that his phone was disconnected. I am shocked to hear that he passed away just like that. I know he left a wife and maybe a kid or 2 behind.
Now I am sorry why I didn't take the time out to see him. May his soul rest in peace.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Mon ami Jean Cormier,

I did not know Johnny Honda for a long time but I learned quickly to like him. Before our annual trip to the DR's North Coast, earlier this year, I began corresponding with Johnny because I had a few questions which I thought he would be the best to answer and he was a former fellow Maritimer (being from Moncton, NB, Canada). A couple of times he hinted that there was something that I might do for him and eventually he asked if I would be willing to bring him some Atlantic Scallops as they were unavailable in the DR. Well I agreed immediately and we made plans for him to meet our arriving flight to get the scallops. Murphy's Law was in effect and we were early, and he was late, so we went to our resort in Rio san Juan and jammed the cold pack of ten pounds of scallops in the mini-fridge. I had a couple of cell phone numbers for Johnny but this was Easter weekend and he was at his in-laws for a family gathering so it was the next day until we connected. Johnny ended up driving all the way to Bahia Principe to get the scallops and we met a few days later at the Britannia Pub to shoot the sh*t as was his way. He was very appreciative and invited us to stay at his home during our stay but we had a fairly tight schedule so we made plans to do that on our next trip. Sadly that will not now be possible. It will be our profound loss.

Rest well Jean.

Gregg Andrews
Dartmouth, NS
Canada

RIP Johnny Honda

Although I never met the man, I certainly was impressed with his rhetoric and his posts. I would have liked it if he had come further west on his last bike tour hopefully he got to hook up withothers in Toronto and Hamilton.
I will post an .RIP in the Media Gallery so we can remember the man-
Jean Cormier aka "Johnny Honda"

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We are so fortunate to have briefly met Johnny at the last reunion in July. DR1's man in black will surely be missed.

Jan & Doug

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
RIP

At KingofDice's get together at the Jaragua, he was the first to introduce himself to me and almost instantly we were engaged in good banter and great stories.

He was someone with a style that I admired, his own. Before I saw him last he offered a weekend trip up to his place to see the area and meet his family.

Not taking him up on it is certainly a loss for me, but his passing is a loss for everyone that's met him, and most importantly his family, of whom he spoke very fondly.

See you on the other side Johnny Honda. I'll be the guy that looks like me.....although I'll probably be able to pick you out first, with all that bling bling.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
May he rest in peace!

I just knew him at Eddy's last get together and remember having a drink or two with him.

Nice person and someone who will be talked about cherishly for a long time.

Goodbye amigo....

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
can't believe it...

I'm in shock! Hard to believe I won't hear his bike pulling up in front of my apartment. Just yesterday I heard a Harly ourside and looked out to see if it was him. Guess I'll never hear his bike again, only in my memories.
He is..was..hard to use the word was when refering to him..a great guy. We had alot of laughs together. And some good drinking too! The friends he made of my neighbors here will be shocked to hear hes gone too.
Always will love my Johny Honda! Hope he gets to ride his bike in the sky forever!
Love ya Johny.....

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Never had the pleasure of meeting Johnny. Now I know why I was thinking about time-shares...
Bon voyage, Johnny.
mk

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Johnny Honda was a good person, a friend and the first DR1 person I got to know. He helped us buy our first car in the DR and gave advice and a helpful hand wherever and whenever he could. Go Well Johnny! I cannot ever repay your kindness to us. My thoughts and support are with your family.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Never met him but exchanged emails several times. As a fellow Harley rider we had a commonality.
Keep the wind in your face buddy. Cya someday.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OMG I can't believe. I was looking forward to seeing him in Nov.

Ricktoronto did Johhny get in touch with you when he came to Toronto? He said he would email but I didn't hear from him. OMG

Condoluces to the Family. We'll miss you Johnny.