moving to DR

beckham7

Oct 15, 2003
www.sillyproducts.com
HI,

Being Canadian and sick of this place ,well I would like to move to the Dominican Republic.
I have an 8yo child and would like to find a reasonable house or apartement (3 rooms),in a nice neighbourhood...I need internet and satellite TV
Anyone with an offerplease contact me at pierre472@sympatico.ca

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
you are bound to get lots of help here...some good, some bad.

...............but, be warned. dominicans do not like manchester united fans.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'd wait for a couple of months and see how things pan out.

Just today we had:

a) a decent sized earthquake
b) long enough power outages 14hrs that most people's backup systems ran out
c) flooding due to heavy rain

Combine these with a bad economy, and things are a bit complicated. If you can sit it out for a couple of months, things should sort themselves out.

fcred

Oct 9, 2002
Pierre472....

What do you consider to be a nice neighborhood? I visited a nice local family in a barrio in Puerto Plata a few weeks ago... basically a three room house... possibly 300 sq. ft. max... a fridge, a TV with cable (seems to meet your key requirements) a few chairs... and the best sancocho I have had in years...wow.... we will be spending New Year's Eve with them on the beach enjoying local rum, and living it up! Should be fun!

On the other hand.. there are some nice places on Anacaona Ave in Santo Domingo (the Forest Hill of the D.R... but really just a bunch of high rises in a row in front of a park)... a modest apartment will run you anywhere from US$2,000 to $6,000 per month... yes.. that is US$. Of course, the new Torre Caribe, is going for somewhat more.. like $8,000 to $12,000... yes... that is US$... so don't forget to bring cash.

Bottom line... get yourself a good agent... one with a reputation and references... Notwithstanding all my inherent sarcasm.. I will forward to by e-mail the name and telephone number of a reputable individual. He helped me find a reasonable place.. he also helped a number of other people I know, to their satisfaction without collecting at both ends.

Good Luck.

fcred

PhMB

Sep 30, 2003
cheap rent in Santo Domingo

some people really say anything just to post something

Anacaona does not have only high rent buildings

I live on Anacaona , in a 170 sq meters appart , ( that is roughly 2000 square feet ) all caoba , very good quality , cuarto de servicio , very good area , front of the park , no planta full but as we are 300 meters from Ambajador Hotel there is not a lot of blackouts , a lot of trees and lawn , and I pay only 700 US$ included mantenimiento . SEA VIEW , PARK VIEW , etc

I have found a lot of apparts with good service and cheap prices . of course if you just read the news or just go to the first real estate agent you can pay the same apt for 1500 $

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Viva el Real

Beckham,

There are very nice places all over the island. All very different from each other, so perhaps, if you'd like to tell us in more detail (ie: uurban or rural, ocean front or beach front, mountain or campo, apartment or house) what sort of place you have in mind, maybe we can give you more specific information.