Rice and Beans (Dominican Style)

Franke

Jul 20, 2003
Hi gang, I am sure that this has been addressed many times. I am hoping someone can help me out. I was to DR for about 4 weeks this summer and flew my daughter down to visit with me for 10 days...what a wonderful experience we had. She and I loved the rice and beans that so many friends shared with us. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a recipe that is fairly easy to follow...I will be heading out to the supermarket in a few hours to pick up the necessary ingredients. PLEASE HELP. As always...it is much appreciated. :) Have a great weekend...stay safe always. Franke

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What is so special about eating white boiled rice with beans that seems straight from a can. I mean, totally tasteless food, simply to fill the stomach.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Rice & Beans???!!!!!

What a way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!

Add a tbls of chili powders, some onions, a dash of garlic and cook till they fall apart. Then pour over the rice and pig out!!!

Them's good beans, man.

Texas Bill

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"Add a tbls of chili powders, some onions, a dash of garlic and cook till they fall apart. Then pour over the rice and pig out!!!" texas Bill.

Did you just mention spicing up the food? Haven't you learned anything in DR in all of those years? Spicing up food is an eternal sin in DR.
This is the only place where they serve you beans without having a single bean in it. Hahahaha figure this out for yourself.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
It comes in 3 flavors, red (most common, probably) white, and black (the best).

I eat lots of them in the DR, out of cans usually. As has been noted, the servings of such in restaurants is usually so small as to be insignificant.

I see the black beans sold in the US, sometimes labelled "Frijoles Negroes".

They're good, although not quite as good as blackeyed peas, of course.

For weightwatchers, leguminous veggies are probably THE most important food. Eating them gives one both protein and carbohydrate while giving one a "full" feeling.

As Texas Bill says, a few onions really spices them up.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I'll post this on Aunt Clara's site

This is not a Dominican recipe.

Take the black beans and cook really well. mash them to a paste adding salt, pepper and red chili peppers or jalape?os all mashed up. You can use a blender for this.

Put a little oil in a good iron skillet and heat the mash until it has the consistency of mashed potatoes, more or less. You have to keep moving it to get this consistency. You can add a bit of chicken broth if overdone.

This can be spread on casava bread, any toast, eaten with any meal, or appetizers. it can be as hot as you like it.

Bill, if you will let me know when you are coming, I'll have it ready for you to take back...Debebe, you too!

I have seen my sons rave of the beans or the texture of the rice. Of course, our cook doesn't "just" make the beans or "just" cook the rice. I can agree that plain, they are boring outta your gourd!

How about chickpeas and rice? Guandules,guisados, are to die for. With fried whatever....mmmmm, good...

You just don't eat in the right places...

HB

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Mmmm... rice and beans are the best! Especially with the black bean sauce and con con! mmmmmm.... i'm so hungry! Anyways, Hillbilly's recipe sounds the closest to the way i saw it made. heat with the oil, and chicken block first. Reminds me of Dominican spaghetti, amazing!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Rice and Beans (Dominican Styls)

Here I go again!!!
Delete if you wish since this recipe isn't Dominican.

Cook the Red or Pintos until almost mush and thick. A little oil in the iron skillet and reheat (refrito) until just before crisping.

Fry out some salt pork slices until just before crisp.

Spread the beans onto a flour tortillo thickly; place the strips of salt pork on one corner(?), roll up and pig out.

The salt pork adds just the right amount of salty flavor and the juice adds to the flavor. The combination is Ohhhh so gooooood.

Try it, you'll like it!!

Bean&pork burrito.

Luis, I'm bringing the car to Santiago early Monday morning and will probably be around all day. Will call and arrange a time with you for a short visit since you have classes.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
No body can beat my grandma's Rice and Beans no matter with real beans (PICANTE) Dominican style>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

who said no beans? aaaaaaaaah! i'm so hungry besides it's been a long time since eating Rice and Beans my diet forbid those delicacies lol!

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
you know you guys are right, rice and beans are tastless food. For a real food, I always go with meatloaf and potatoes, real taste real food (hahaha) (Para el gusto se hicieron los colores) you guys are too much!!

Last edited:

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
You guys are making me homesick...and hungary. I love red beans and rice. I grew up on it. But I agree with HB. My favorite is guandules and rice with some platanos maduros on the side. In fact, I think I'll have some tonight!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't forget the "Coco"!

"Habichuelas con Coco",or the greatest of all,"Guandules con Coco"! My mother-in-law cooks in our house.The beans,guandules,or anything else are never bland! She always starts with onions,garlic,pepers,and her "Home-Made" Sason!Even her "meatballs" are moist and tender,where most dominicans fry them into "rocks" before "stewing" them in some sauce!
Shrimp,or fish "Stewed with Coconut","Guisado con Coco",are really to die for!
I go home for lunch everyday at noon.There is always rice,beans,and meat.For variation,usually some steamed vegetables,and salads with cucumbers and tomatos.Some days there is a Soup,or "Sancocho",tuna salad with "Elbow macaroni,shredded cabbage,avocado,and fresh squeezed juices,or Fruit "Smoothies"!
Then there are the "Arepas",Pudins,Arroz con leche,Maicenas,Arepitas,Maduros Fritos!No wonder I can't lose any weight!

How about "Locrio de:arenque,pollo,longaniza,o carne de todos tipos??"Bacalao",sserved any way you want,and don't forget "Asopao de mariscos"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:cool:

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Moro de guandules con chivo guisado...and a little bit of dulce de naranja en almibar for dessert. Best meal ever! Darn I wish I was home.