Santo Domingo

Seany

Oct 19, 2003
www.angelfire.com
We are staying in Puerto Plata. We would like to visit Santo Domingo, but it seems so far. Anyone have an opinion as to whether it is really worth the trek? What must we see if we do go?

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I think la capital is a definite if you are young or love the nightlife. It has all the hot clubs and plenty more to do. I would recommend going to the colonial zone and visiting all of the historical sites in addition to club hopping.

Seany

Oct 19, 2003
www.angelfire.com
Thanks JDub, I'm not sure about clubs as if its 4 hours from our hotel I'm worried about travelling back in the middle of the night. Do the AI resorts close their gates at some time or are they always open? And are there night buses or would it be a taxi?

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Unfortunately, you would have to call up a taxi in the late hours. Too bad you can't spend a night in a hotel in SD because it has alot of great sites to visit

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What is your time frame in the D.R.? If it is one week, you are really going have to go non-stop to get your recreation and tours in, especially if you want to go to the Capital. You can help the posters help you make a decision. Provide a list of activities and things you're interested to do while visiting. I'm sure somebody will respond.

Also, the AI resorts are open at all hours, although there may be a few exceptions and unassisted night travel is dangerous because of the bad condition of the roads and public unrest in certain areas. A place suggested to avoid at night is Villas Altagracia on the Autopista Duarte, the main highway between Santiago and Santo Domingo. Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is what you do

You get the very earliest bus to Santo Domingo, either Metro or Caribe Tours. You explore the Colonial Zone. (Just get a cab at the metro station and tell him Zona ColoniAL..)

visit the Museo de Casas Reales and the Alc?zar de Col?n. Walk around and see the first cathedral and the plaza. Walk down Conde street.

Find a nice little hotel-there are a lot of them, you can ask here for a favorite one as a guide.

That evening you hit all the good clubs: Bamboo, Montecristo, Pop Lounge, Praia, Tr?o...and there are a bunch I have never heard about....

Hit the sack at three or four in the am and take a late afternoon or early evening bus back to POP. Take a taxi from the bus station to the hotel. Two days of A-I food you miss but think of the fun you will have.

Try and get in touch with jan or jojocho or some of the denizens of Santo Domingo on this board....might be fun, you never know..

HB

Seany

Oct 19, 2003
www.angelfire.com
Thanks for replies so far. PJT, we are in the DR for 2 weeks, and expect to relax at the hotel one day, and take a tour the next day, and so on for the 14 days. As well as Santo Domingo we are thinking of including the following:

Visit to Puerto Plata, including going up the Cable Car to the botanical gardens, visit a rum factory and seeing cigars being made, amber museum.

Sosua and Carbarete for nice beaches and some local shopping

Whale Watching in Samana

Jungle Safari or Monster Jeep tour, whichever seems best

Catamaran trip somewhere - recommendations?

Jarabacoa - just to experience the cool air and waterfalls

I think there's more than enough we'll miss off the schedule to make a return trip again.

We'll think about the club-life but perhaps will reserve that for next time too, we are not big clubbing people really.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wow, where are you going to go to take a vacation from your vacation afterwards? I think I would be hospitalized after a vacation like that!.

The Dominican Republic may be a little bigger of a place than you first thought. I would stay on the North Coast and possibly Jarabacoa and Santiago. You will have a lot on your plate right there.