Internet fares vs. travel agent fares

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Hi,

Just thought I'd relate an experience I had recently regarding the above.

These days everybody seems to think that travel related bargains can be found on the Internet only. Maybe it is not always so. I searched the net for a reasonable fare round trip Miami-Santiago (STI) in February. The best I could find was $ 394 via Hotwire.com. Then I asked my local travel agent here in Norway, and right away he gave me a quote of NOK 2,600 - which translates to USD 360. All taxes included.

I do not know if one might experience the same thing in the US and elsewhere, but personally from now on I will always include my local travel agent in my searches for travel bargains.

Paulino - aka Henning

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
fares

You can get much cheaper flights then it is!

well see...

Martinair

If you purchase on-line or in The Netherlands you will get...

(preview for HIGH SEASON)

Amsterdam to Santo Domingo ? 998 (inc.tax and costs ?1120)

If you buy on Germany or Belgium or some travel agents that have connection with the airline they can sell some seats for a cheaper price

Amsterdam to Santo Domingo ? 517 (inc tax and costs ? 630)

you see the diference!

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
no it is not, airline offer lower fares for electronic tickets with exclusive webfares. Some travel agents have non-published fares for travel packages, they are low, but remember that for example in USA travel agents add 20 USD fee for all tickets, so airline offers cheaper service.

In this case exchange rate for local currency and avoid of some taxes made it cheaper.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Aviastar dont you understand the class codes

Y = Eco
C = Business
F = First
B = Economy (other fare)
Q = Economy Discount fare

etc...

Travel agents sell 10 Q seats for the lowest price (not all travel agents only some agents that have connection with the airline etc.) and others on availability of classes and prices every class have his own price!

If you buy by the airline it is also what cheaper.

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Electronic ticket cost $1 dollar to the airline, paper ticket cost around $25 dollars. Often airlines offer low internet fares because they save money on both the ticket and not paying the travel agent comission. That's why even Aeromar (and others) can offer their exclusive online fares, they are just cutting the middle guy.

In the US and other parts of the world, travel agents are starting to charge $15-30 dollars per transaction to the passenger for selling airline tickets. Some travel agents can get cheaper unpublished fares just for the fact that they buy a certain amount of seats. Of course, this tickets are with more restriction and less benefits that standard fares bought directly from the airline.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Aviastar airlines will never offer lower fares if you buy ahead of time with a travel agent you will take advantage of their allotment they will always have a lower rate unless their allocation has been sold out also make sure that your travel agent works with a wholesaler in any case if the airline has a sale travel agents are kept away for a bit.

Erickxson

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
GRS said:
[
In the US and other parts of the world, travel agents are starting to charge $15-30 dollars per transaction to the passenger for selling airline tickets. [/B]

I checked our local agents and they were adding $50. on to the price.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
wow, what a discussion, aviastar doesn't know the difference between booking classes, it is new for me. But thank you for notice, I will review my poor skills and I promise that soon I will be able to satisfy all Aeromar's fanats. It seems that I was a bad student at my university amd missed that subject. But thanks God we have the world's greatest manager here, Mr Christian Garcia Polnaco proved us with Aeromar's results last months, now we know how to work if we wish to have the world's greatest airline. The difference between me and that person is remarkble, I am beyond dr1.com aviation forum. And Polancos should learn about currency factors, sometimes when you calculate total fare in the third currency, like in NOK for example it will be much cheaper when you will calculate final result to USD. Just think, are you sure that ROE that was used by travel agent to calculate this ticket was the same exchange rate used by this forum user to calculate USD from NOK, what a thread!