Ice Crean for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Ice cream for the children
Helados Bon has opened a shop in the Najayo Jail in San Cristobal. The proceeds of the sales will be used to buy food for the estimated 250 children living with their incarcerated mothers in Najayo, the second largest pen in the DR. The ice cream shop is adjacent to the prison's medical area. In addition to ice cream, the shop will also sell juices and jams produced by the company. Inmates will work in the shop, receiving a commission on sales as remuneration.
Another money launder bussiness?
Curious.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
First thing that came to me...

250 children, innocent children, growing up, living part of there life with there incarcerated mothers? Does this actually happen? They grow up in a prison? Wow! I had no idea...

fidelista

Oct 3, 2003
saintjohn.rebelyouth.ca
Something similar to Cuba should be tried ..

In solidarity,
Shaney from da block

This is a Dominican Thread.We don't care what they do in Cuba! Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Irony/Helados Bon/Clinica

Tony C said:

Anybody see the irony in the fact that the Helodos Bon shop will be next to the Medical facility?

Yes, I see a certain irony because of the pervasive and increasing diabetes in this country. A solid diet of chuletas, helados, y Brugal and less and less manual labor (leave it for the Haitians) = obesity and diabetes. Avoiding it might be the only advantage of poverty.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Irony/Helados Bon/Clinica

arturo said:

Anybody see the irony in the fact that the Helodos Bon shop will be next to the Medical facility?

Yes, I see a certain irony because of the pervasive and increasing diabetes in this country. A solid diet of chuletas, helados, y Brugal and less and less manual labor (leave it for the Haitians) = obesity and diabetes. Avoiding it might be the only advantage of poverty.

I guess not!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"No Good Deed Goes Un-Punished"!!!!!!!!

"Helados Bon"(besides making the best ice-cream,juices,and "marmeladas" in the World!)is one of the few Dominican companies that actually "gives back" to the Dominican Republic,and it's people!!
The have been actively involved in Re-Forestation for many years.They plant mango trees not only to provide mangos,but employment in areas of extreme poverty!
To blame "Diabetes" on ice-cream is like suing "MacDonalds because you are FAT! "That Dog Don't Hunt"!
I salute "Helados Bon" for yet another example of "Doing" something about a problem,not just giving excuses of why, "Nothing Can Be Done",,like many of us!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccris Ccccccolon

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Amazing that some people will try and make something that is charitable seem like it is a disaster and bad.

Edited to add:

I have met the people that own the Company. I am hopeful that they come to my Thanksgiving Dinner in Sosua. Why not come George so you can meet them and discuss all the things charitable YOU do for the country?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.