Dominicans en NY

La Reyna

Oct 20, 2003
Hello Everybody !!!!!

I am half Dominicana and half Swiss, and I am living in Europe.
I NEED YOUR HELP FOLKS!

I will travel to New York next Spring and I am looking for ideas
and adresses where to go. Means, can somebody tell me where
I can go out to dance (Dominican Parties?????Merengue, Bachata, Salsa?)

Where can I get Dominican stuff, like Sazon
para cocinar, Gelatina y to esta vaina????

Where can I eat Dominican food?

Where is the best adress to get my hair and nails done????

And now, I'm sure, you ask yourself, "why isn't she going to the
Dominican Republic????????

Answer: Ticket to DR= 1000 $$$$$
Ticket to NY= 250 $$$$$$$

Thanx a lot folks !

Kisses La Reyna

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It will cost you more than the difference you would spend on the ticket to live in NYC. I would spend the extra money and go to the DR.

There were a couple of places in Upper Manhattan you may want to check out. On DR K at 114 Dyckman St. Anywhere in Washington Heights you will find Dominican this and Dominican that. Look for a thread about a DR1 NYC ReUnion it will give you a bunch of places we considered getting together at. About 100 posts.

Have fun either way but reconsider.

Scott

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
DR-K is a good place. YOu can also do a day trip to Washington Heights if you're brave enough. You'll feel like you're right in the island.

For good dancing you can't wrong go with the Copabana. You can find their location as well as calendar of upcoming events at their website (http://www.copacabanany.com/).

The of the former Latin Quarters are opening up a new club within the next couple of weeks that you might want to check out. The name of the Club is "LQ" and it's located on 511 Lexington Ave and I think it's between 49th and 50th street.

Both of these places are great if you're looking for good dancing and a classy and generally older crowd.

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
What Eschott said. Look at that thread about the reunion in NYC.

Umbrella
DR-K
Mirage
Jubilliee

Those are some of the main places we were considering. Those should be the best option for you too.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
TO LA REYNA Re: Dominicans en NY

La Reyna said:
...Where can I get Dominican stuff, like Sazon
para cocinar, Gelatina y to esta vaina????

Where can I eat Dominican food?

Where is the best adress to get my hair and nails done????
You'll find a great variety of supermarkets, bodegas, restaurants, and salones de belleza in NYC's Washington Heights and Inwood sectors - - from ~ 158th Street and up, esp. on Broadway or St. Nicholas Avenue, to Dyckman, Sherman, Academy, or Post Avenues. For the true "Dominican experience", this is where you would want to go. (Forget the higher-end, more upscale variety downtown.* Besides, no one will cook or set your hair in rollers better than a dominicana! ;) )

And on 159th Street and Broadway there's this little "hole in the wall" called 'Restaurant Margot'. The (Dominican) food is excellent! The place is tiny, but I swear you'll feel like you're in the DR. This place I recommend. You must try their pollo asado and arepitas de yuca.....yum!

There's also El Mambi Restaurant, a couple of El Floriditas, and countless Caridad Restaurants. All their chefs/cooks are Dominican.

*For dancing, though, the CopaCabana, located mid-downtown on 34th St. and 11-12th Ave., is THE place to go.

Have fun!

-Indie

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I have a serious craving for Pasteles en Hoja. Anyone know any good places (even take-out where I could keep them at home) in NYC??

La Reyna

Oct 20, 2003
GRACIAS!!!!!

Hello Amigitos y Amigitas!

Thank you very much for your help! And keep on posting!!!!!

If somebody wants to travel to Switzerland, i'll love to give you
some ideas where to go....

Besitos La Reyna

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Pasteles en hojas

Bugsey34 said:
I have a serious craving for Pasteles en Hoja. Anyone know any good places (even take-out where I could keep them at home) in NYC??

The lady who comes in to help me out once a month is Puerto Rican, she cooks all kinds of stuff for me the weekend she stays over. If you like, I can freeze a few of those for you and ship it to you.

Her cooking is superb! PM me the quantity you'd like.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
I didn't know swiss spoke Spanish and said (TO' ESA VAINA)

You will not have a problem finding Dominicans in New York we are about to be the BIGGEST Spanish Speaking Group in that City

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Bugs I am sure my parents can get their hands on them. I will talk to them and hopefully they can get it before they go back to DR for the winter.

La Reyna

Oct 20, 2003
ERICKXSON said:
I didn't know swiss spoke Spanish and said (TO' ESA VAINA)

You will not have a problem finding Dominicans in New York we are about to be the BIGGEST Spanish Speaking Group in that City

Mi amor !

I said I'm half Dominican (en mi corazon 100%) and half Swiss,
mi Mami es del Cibao and my father is Swiss...
So, thats why I speak Spanish.....

In Switzerland, there is a part where they speak German, another one where they speak French, and a part where they
speak Italian and last but not least a part where they speak Romano.....

And we have to know at least 2 of these........

Besitos La Reyna