internet/cyber cafe

jarabe28

Oct 21, 2003
Hello everyone. I am looking into opening a cyber cafe in the DR. I'm from DR living in the US (Alabama). I just got my Bachelors in Computer Science and have been working as a programmer ever since. I've saved some money (all of it invested in the stock market) and I'm really interested in this cyber cafe. I'm visiting the DR next month and will be looking more into the business and location. I'm not rich so I need to find out how much more money I need to open an Internet cafe. I can either buy or build the computers myself and my prima is a Computer major in DR so she or me will manage the business. Can you please give me some info/tips on a location that this business can be successful (high tourist traffic); my family lives in Nagua and Santo Domingo so these are the preferable locations. Any of you own or know about Cyber cafes in DR? Gracias.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know about Nagua, but there are a number of cyber cafes in Santiago. At least 3 on the Conde.

No need for more in most tourist areas. I am in Sosua and there are a number of them here.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
Not a good idea anymore. The people who opened up a few years ago made some money when there was no ADSL/FLASH, but it seems that with the introduction of adsl to the bigger cities EVERYONE with a little networking knowledge has an internet cafe and at less than a peso a minute and the economy the way it is .......................

Depending on how much you have saved you might be better off just investing the money. You will probably make more. Then open
up the cafe for a place to hang out ;)

A business can't solely rely on tourism it needs to have a STRONG local clientele as evidenced by what happened after 9/11. I personally know 4 businesses that went belly up in tourist areas/zones.

If you do I would go with Nagua because you might be the first to open up there??????

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Forget it...

Not to be a bubble buster... but their is not enough demand for the ones that are here. The only way it would work if their was something super special about yours...

Some friends once talked about a real cafe with coffee and snacks and such as in the US and that may work as it would be a bit different... but I am still not convinced... I mean most people charge a peso and a half per minute. Three dollars an hour is not much unless you are packed and then I am not sure it would still yield a great profit.

Just my 2 cents though...

GG

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
GirlieGirl, the figures of Juan are correct. In Santo Domingo, one of the places he mentioned, the internet cafes are charging 35-40 pesos an hour. That is what I paid on the Conde a few weeks ago.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Ken...

I am sure you are right... I am just talking about Cabarete which is always a little more than elsewhere. An hour here is 60 - 90 RD.

GG

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here in Santiago

there must be dozens. Even in barrios like Ciruelitos there are at least four....and that is low income.

some of them also do typing/preparation of documents and other secretarial services..just to make ends meet.

You would probably do better finding a bookie there in the states that wants to go off shore and set up his operation here. There are three of four that do that.

HB

platanon

Oct 17, 2003
hey I own an internet cafe in one of the barrios here in Santo domingo and let me tell is not a piece of cake. I have to charge 20 pesos an hour to compete around here. And for that fee is not worth it. I am lucky that I also have a call center and activate cell phones. I had the same idea as you and is not working out too good.

Hey give me some more info on the bookie idea.....I'll love to find a bookie to setup shop here....ja..ja..ja.

Anyways I'll stick to tourists areas....and probably look into nagua...if you'll be the only you'll probably do better stay off Santo Domingo...that's my advice.

Also think of something else to do in the shop. Call center, using VOIP for international calls....but be carefull....very carefull because most VOIP companies...don't have good rates to the Dominican Republic...for example net2phone.com ..for Local and long distance withing the US there are other alternatives...

Anyways email me if you want to know the truth...I am not saying don't do it....but is not as profitable as before and now you really have to do good research before you change those dollars into pesos....is very hard to get them back.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
i have 2 cyber cafes in La CAPITAL i charge DR$1.00 per minute and so far im doing pretty good i suggest you come down and try your luck make sure YOU ARE NOT USING THOSE CHEAP COMPUTERS MOST INTERNET CAFE USE invest money and you'll get money back.

One bad Renegade.

jarabe28

Oct 21, 2003
internet cafe

Gracias a todos for your comments. I see that I need to be very careful before I make the decision to open my internet shop. I will do more research and be reasonable. I hope this works for me. I plan to offer snacks and coffee besides the regular internet access and charge for extras like digital camera, faxing, CD burning, headphones, etc. I want to learn more about this call center and using a bookie; excuse my ignorance but I dont know what a bookie is. Gracias.