Internet question?

RanCin

Oct 20, 2003
So what's the real scoop? I can be on line for hours at times... will I be paying by the minute? How often are there power outages and how does this effectively shut you down? Are there wirelss connection avalible? Would I have a problem bringing in a laptop on a trip there?
Thank you kindly for any info :) Cindy

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola RanCin!!!!

If you staying in an AI, you should have no problem.
If your staying in a rented place, is the connection already installed?
If not, it could take up to, 30 days at the worst to get one.

I use Codetel, Flash, ADSL.
I pay $ 750. Pesos a month, unlimited use.
Very reliable, never had any down time.
I have automatic back-up, for when the juice goes down, this does not affect the on-line service.

Can you provide some more details on where, and how you expect to utilize you connection???
In a fixed location? Name of a town???

There are some real knowledgable members in this area.
But some more info will definitely be needed.

Thanks
Tim H.:cool:

Last edited:

RanCin

Oct 20, 2003
Thanks Timex :) We will be at El neptuno in Nov. to look for property and then a move to Sosua or near by. You have already eased my mind quiet a bit. The interent price sounds great as well as the connection. And if it takes a while we are very patient.
No one ever died from not connecting lol... and as far as the usage for me it would be daily bus. and family connections as well as games.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RanCin, my wife and I live in A3, El Neptuno. Feel free to stop by and get acquainted.

I, too, have flash/ADSL from Codetel. My charges currently are RD$795 for plan VIP, which means unlimited time on line, and $995 for the phone service and everything not covered in the $795. Plus tax.

If power goes off and you have no backup system (such as a generator or inverter), then you are out of luck. But you will be a rare foreign resident if you don't have some sort of backup. El Neptuno has a generator, which keeps me in business when the power is out.

You will be far from first person traveling with a laptop. Seems to be very common these days.

Wherever you located in the Sosua area you will be able to get dialup service. But ADSL is not everywhere. You must be within a certain distance of where service initiates. So if you want ADSL rather than dialup, that is something to ask about when you consider a property.

Hope to meet you in November. Will you be here on the 27th for the DR1 get together?

RanCin

Oct 20, 2003
Thanks, Ken we would love to stop by and meet you and your wife and really appreciate the hositality and internet info. And no I regret to say we won't be able to be there for this Thanksgiving party but by next year..... who knows. Oh and btw who ever started this site should get a hand.. clap clap! Lives will be changed forever because of this site... and minds will be opened. Most excellent idea and greatly appreciated!
Cindy :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Looking forward to meeting you. We've lived in the DR a long time and will be happy to help you in any way we can.

platanon

Oct 17, 2003
sorry to butt in...but centennial (http://www.centennialrd.com/) has a 3g internet service thru a 3g cellualr phone.....that's if you want to go high tech ad use it wherever they have cell phone service. check their website I think they advertise upto 144k connection is nice for a mobile internet connection and wireless. They are the pioneer in 3G because they are the only ones that offer it....Codetel is bigger but slower in developing and deploying new technologies.....anyways I don't know how they do it with the cellphone plans for tourist or non-dominicans because all their plans require a "cedula" a Dominican ID ..anyways that's another option...not cheap though Your Wireless plan of choice and 1500 pesos a month...it is unlimited though.

ps.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
NO WAY they get 144k... I have it in the states and it is slower than a naked old lady climbing over a barbed wire fence. Try typing on a freaking cell phone!

Good when you are taking a dump and need something to do though!

platanon

Oct 17, 2003
not talking about internet using your cell phone baby....

talking about using your 3G cell phone with a data cable connected to your computer.....3G means(Third Generation) meaning that is faster then your old 14k connection that was before thru a cell phone.

so Cellphone----data cable-----PC or labtop thru usb port. 144k I don't know about it...haven't used it...but even is 56k to 70k always on connection anywhere you go with your laptops...that's freedom....the 144k is what they say...don't know more than that....

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
I have the centennial 3g in my laptop since 3 months and I''m very happy with it so far, you dont even need a celular, it also works with a Gtrans card, a PCMCIA card.

Its more expensive than adsl (1700 month) but they set it up in minutes, and yes, you get 144k, I usually download data at 15 kb/s in SD!! , and its very nice to have internet everywhere without wires :)

be aware that it only works in certain cities

also, I have noted several places where the g3 connection works fine and my crappy orange cel does not

regards

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
claudius_2k said:
I have the centennial 3g in my laptop since 3 months and I''m very happy with it so far, you dont even need a celular, it also works with a Gtrans card, a PCMCIA card.

Its more expensive than adsl (1700 month) but they set it up in minutes, and yes, you get 144k, I usually download data at 15 kb/s in SD!! , and its very nice to have internet everywhere without wires :)

be aware that it only works in certain cities

also, I have noted several places where the g3 connection works fine and my crappy orange cel does not

regards

Hey Claudious How can I Get a hold of one of those let me know please.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
platanon said:
not talking about internet using your cell phone baby....

talking about using your 3G cell phone with a data cable connected to your computer.....3G means(Third Generation) meaning that is faster then your old 14k connection that was before thru a cell phone.

so Cellphone----data cable-----PC or labtop thru usb port. 144k I don't know about it...haven't used it...but even is 56k to 70k always on connection anywhere you go with your laptops...that's freedom....the 144k is what they say...don't know more than that....
I have a 3g Samsung a500 phone now for about a year. Nice phone, but no where near 144k. Also strength of the signal means better bandwidth for some reason which I don't understand. 50 bux a month is pretty expensive considering I pay less for my cable modem. If they gave unlimited cell phone usage I would consider it even at a higher price if it gets better than 56k dialup which of course it always negotiates downward from there. I even have the 6 pin cable for the phone but never used it.

Regards,
Scott