Sea Horse Ranch

Ms Jazzy

May 18, 2003
I'll be going to the DR in Nov. and plan on staying for 1 year before deciding whether or not to continue. From what I can tell, it seems SHR is considered the nicest community on the NC. I was wondering if this title is deserved or if they're somewhat overated. Does anyone have reliable info on what a 3 BDR would cost there? I'd like to spend $1,500 - $2,000 US per month. Is there somewhere with comparable living conditions that may provide a better value? Any suggestions or contact info for an appropriate realtor would be greatly appreciated.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Ms. Jazzy,

Sea Horse Ranch is without a doubt the premiere housing development on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. The homes there are valued from approximately $ 500,000.00 usd to a few that are well over 10 million usd, with the average value around $ 650,000.00 usd (my guess). It is a beautiful project with an ocean front restaurant, an expansive esquestrian center, community walk ways and pool, etc. There are houses for rent by individual owners and also through the office itself. If you rent through the office, they can handle all of your service needs with housekeepers, gardeners, chefs, etc. This is a class operation designed for those who don't like to compromise. Rental rates should start at around $ 3000 usd per month up to many times that depending on the house you choose. Maintenance and utilities are extra.

Hope this helps, Sandy

Sep 20, 2003
is there any place like the sea horse ranch located in or near santo domingo?

does the sea horse ranch have there own generators?

do any of the gated communities around santo domingo have their own generators?

Ms Jazzy

May 18, 2003
Hi Sandy and Ken,

Thanks for the info. I went to the SHR site and the only prices I found were weekly and started at about $3,000. How would I get in touch with individual owners? I suspect that may be less expensive. In case SHR isn't feasible where else might I try? My main concern is the ability to have Directv and hi speed internet installed. I'm not necessarily looking for "world class" just something nice with the comforts of home (such as constant power, etc) I want to spend $1,500 - $2,000. Thanks.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Terramar Estates or Casa Linda are both nice areas, although they are across the road from the ocean (not within walking distance). We looked at a beautiful house in Terramar for $750 plus utilities. It actually rented for about $1200, I think. Remax handles those rentals and Casa Linda has it's own website.

There are some beautiful two bedroom houses in Perla Marina. I think that the address is 8 Perla Marina. There are four houses in the complex. They are private with private backyards, but they do share a pool. Andre is the name of the contact person. I know that he has a website, but I don't remember the address. He rents long term and the houses are within walking distance of a nice, but often rough beach.

Playa Laguna or Escondido Bay is in the same geographic region. The beach is calmer, but not as private. Some of the houses in there are very, very nice.

I think that you will find many nice homes for rent within your price range including utilities. However, many of the places are only two bedroom. It depends on how big of a house you need.

Remax, American Realty, or Century 21 may be able to help you.

Mainer

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Why don't you just book a hotel room for a couple of weeks and go to the different gated communities and see for yourself what is the best value. Some of the realtor sites mentioned above can help show you rental houses.

A friend of mine recently bought in Escondida Bay. She looked at SHR, but thought the houses were over rated (the ones that were for sale at the time were high-priced but not in very good condition)

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Best Advice....

Listen to JANH above.
Best idea is to just come on down and take a room for a couple of weeks. You'll then be in the best position to look for just what you want and at the best prices.
Peter

sami

Aug 7, 2003
don't forget Bahia de Arena.....24 hour power, security, cable . Villas and apts. Ask to speak with Gundula
she will help you

Ms Jazzy

May 18, 2003
Thanks everyone,

Just wanted to mention that I didn't plan on renting over the internet :classic: I just want to hit the ground running. I will come down and look into the places mentioned. Any suggestions on a nice hotel with nearby hi speed internet access? Also, should I hire a driver to take me or just cab it? If a driver makes more sense, any recommendations?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Regarding driver, depends on what you want. Do you speak any Spanish so that you could give instructions to any cab that took you or would you like to be sure you had a driver that spoke English. If the latter, I can recommend a young cab driver who speaks English and who often is called upon to provide service for someone--including several regular posters on dr1 when they need his van for some reason. If you are interested, I can help you line him up when you get to Sosua, or I can give you his cell number so that you can call him in advance.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ms Jazzy said:
I'll be going to the DR in Nov. and plan on staying for 1 year before deciding whether or not to continue. From what I can tell, it seems SHR is considered the nicest community on the NC. I was wondering if this title is deserved or if they're somewhat overated. Does anyone have reliable info on what a 3 BDR would cost there? I'd like to spend $1,500 - $2,000 US per month. Is there somewhere with comparable living conditions that may provide a better value? Any suggestions or contact info for an appropriate realtor would be greatly appreciated.
You won't get a nice place for that money in Sea Horse Ranch.
A cheap lot is 190k without a house.

There are better values but not better neighborhoods or homes or security. So maybe it isn't better value but cheaper digs.

All the Realtors have listings there but the owners sons wife rents out places right on the project.

Good luck, they are very nice people.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Ms Jazzy,

I highly recommed Hotel Villa Taina in the heart of Cabarete. It is ocean-front, extremely clean and quiet. The owners run the hotel and it shows. They have DSL connection in every room. I believe that it is one of the best values around. You can check out their website at www.villataina.com

Sandy

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I would be surprised if Casa Linda has High Speed Internet. This is no where near a Sea Horse Ranch type of place. Most places are NOT anywhere up to the standards of SHR. You can live there for about 5 days out of the month for the money you wish to spend so you may want to think about changing your standards:)

Matter of fact I am not sure that SHR has High Speed internet. I would check with them.

Love your handle...
Escott

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ms Jazzy - You could hire a driver (in fact the one Ken mentioned was a godsend to us), or a realtor could take you to all the communities. (Most are between Sosua and Cabarete)

Maybe you could just ask to rent for 1 month, instead of a year's lease - in case you don't like the area (dogs barking, etc).

Since you want a 3-bedroom, I liked Escondida Bay. It is right next to SHR, in fact you use their service road to get to Escondida. The houses are nice and many looked to be around 1800 sq ft.

Miko

May 23, 2003
you may want to check this place

You may also want to check out the Nanny Estate. It's right on the ocean, with security, power back-up and internet connection.
The web site is: cabaretebeachhouses.com

Ms Jazzy

May 18, 2003
Thanks everyone,

Escott, are you saying SHR costs $9,000/month? Personally, I think anyone would be crazy to pay anything close to that in the DR. My standards aren't really all that high. Clean, modern, constant power/water, Directv, and hi speed net. I'm not after "lifestyles of the rich & famous" Out of curiousity, where do you stay?

The Directv is a concern because of the 6' dish requirement. Does anyone know if rental properties would allow me to install this? Basically, the ability to receive US DTV is the reason I'm choosing the DR over Rio. So, if no DTV then back to Ipanema for me.

The reason I decided on $2,000 max is because I've read of many people living very nicely while paying half that. I figured 2K would be plenty for a 2 - 3 BDR (the third would be maids quarters) Anyone know ballpark prices on any of the other properties mentioned?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I bought a 2 bedroom Condo in Sosua at the complex El Neptuno. I also bought a building lot just under 3/4 acre in Lomas Mironas which is across the highway from SeaHorseRanch but nothing like it in terms of services. I don't think we have High Speed internet there either. I was going to start building on it until...

I am or I think I am also buying a 2 family attached house in Cabarete with Kite beach directly in front of it. My luck the woman who is on the title died 4 years ago and didn't find this out until after I came to terms on it and it will take 3-6 months to get clear title.

I rent my condo out for about 450 a week when I am not there just for informational purposes. Not trying to rent it to you. You may want to call Ina at Century21 Juan Perdomo Realty in Sosua. I have been successful with her. Others recommend Dean Brown of the same agency who I know and like but haven't done business with him.

Good luck Neighbor! Call me when you get into town. I will be down Nov. 5th. 853-6158 is my cell in the DR. I would be happy to show you around and give you my thoughts.

Edited to Add:

If I thought SHR was a great deal I would be living there. I did consider buying a lot there for future building. 190k is expensive but will probably hold its value and you simply cant ask for a finer neighborhood. I usually can drive into every community but haven't been able to crash SHR. I do drive right into CL and they do wave to me:) One time they wouldnt let me into Lomas Mironas after going in 20 times and I already owned a lot there:) Go figger...

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Casa Linda (where we have a home) rents their homes from $800-1000 US a month. the management provides daily maid service for $7/day. The rental cost includes daily pool/gardener. I don't know if it includes electricity. Most homes are 2 bedroom and 1200-1400 sq ft. Each has private pool/gated community. 24 hr electricity and cable.

Casa Linda is on other side of highway from SHR.

I can't think of anyone I know there that would rent their homes for a whole year, but some must; otherwise, the management wouldn't be advertising it on their website.

you can view their website at Http://www.casalindaonline.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Codetel plan for high speed internet is called Flash. It gives you ADSL. I know that it is available in SHR. I have a friend living there who has it. But it is not available everywhere in the area. You must be within a certain distance of the central point. I don't know where the line is as you go from Sosua toward Cabarete, except I do know that the development Perla Marina does not have it. It is further from Sosua than Casa Linda and Lomas Mironas.