I said that I would let you know

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
Dear all,

Firstly I would like to thank all of you who posted replies to my origional questions. All of the comments that were made proved most usefull in, not only my decision to move, but also the preperation that is required. Since my last post I have done some serious 'Lurking' and would like to give special thanks Scott, Ken, Xanadu and Timex for their informative replies to other related questions posted on this board.

I am flying into POP on the 29th of November for 10 days and during that time I intend to meet with Alberto, open a bank account and view some rental properties.

After my return to the UK I will be relocating permanantly from the last week in November with my family joining about a week later.

But..... I could do with some help (please) I had found a property that sounded ideal (2 bedrooms, 1 Bath, and a pool near to Sosua) with A3T property, I had been in discussions with Tay and was almost sure it would have fit the bill for a year whilst considering a possible purchase, today however I discovered it has been let already :-(

I would be most appreciative if anyone here could send me any details of properties that they know of which would be suitable for rent, if anyone sees any adverts in the papers or stuck to lamp posts etc. I would be very keen to have the details so that I can arrange possible viewings. Being in the country for only 10 days puts me on quite a tight schedule and if I can set an agenda before I leave my time can be better utilised.

Thanks in anticipation

Nick

P.S. If anyone has a moment and would like to meet up for a presidente whilst I am in country, just let me know.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have a moment whilst driving between PoP airport & Puerto Plata town - maybe the 3 of us could snesk a quick one in then??!! Might even manage a beer or two as well!!! - Grahame.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hell I am always down for a Brewski, especially if we can hook Grahame to pay! He is a swell guy for a Brit. Wait you are both Brits. Ok I will bring Robert with me. He likes free beer and doesn't care whom he keeps company with anyway! LOL

Too bad you miss my Thanksgiving Bash where we from the US thank Gawd we are free of the English Empire! I love the Brits that come to this.

Escott

Edited to add:

I will be happy to show you around Sosua and Cabarete. I don't know much else well enough other than those places. Anything I can do to help you out just let me know. Cellphone in DR is 853-6158

Last edited:

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
I got Dibs!@

Hi Nick and Grahame and of course Scott,

Don't forget, Kim and I are doing the same thing November 1-15th. We rented a house for 2 weeks and are doing basically the same thing. Our move will actually occur early summer when our son gets out of school, but we will meet with Alberto, tour property and similar activities. Perhaps we can get together in convoy?

:)
Gary and Kimberly

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Graham,

Don't forget out Golf Outing and if anyone wants to join the more the merrier.

I will be in Sosua from November 1-9, I am also in for a Beer anytime !

Regards,

Barry.

Last edited:

nickkieswetter

Aug 6, 2003
wow, did I pick a popular time to take a trip! looks like everyone and their mother is out on the north coast from the 1st!;)

Grahame, if you need to stop for a drink on the way from the airport to the hotel I am sure that will be alright with us!
Scott, thankyou for your kind offer and I shall most certainly give you a call once I am in town....I think that your advice should be at least worth a beer or two!! Gary, I have a new mobile number that I am going to be using during my stay in the DR I shall post it on here as soon as I know what it is, give me a call and I am sure that we can start to form a convoy (yanks say the funniest things:cool: )
Thanks guys, and yes it is a shame that I am going to miss your thanksgiving party Scott....I always wondered what you guys were giving thanks for!! I always thought it was a celebration of our brave and intrepid colonization of the free world??? Your telling me I am wrong after all these years? (I think perhaps its best discussed over a cold one any case!!)

Regards

Nick

P.S. Grahame has already told me that on DR1, as is on most of the island, infact throughout the world BRITS ARE BEST!:knockedou

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
It is not to say that I think Grahame's thoughts unreliable in EVERY case but sometimes you just need to take them with a grain of salt. We shall celebrate your arrival in good form after we and of course every reasonable and civilized person will be the US Thanksgiving.

See you soon.

Escott

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
"It is not to say that I think Grahame's thoughts unreliable in EVERY case but sometimes you just need to take them with a grain of salt".

I TRUST Scott that this only refers to Nick's comments about the failed colanisation programme & the FACT that "Brits are BEST!! The fact that US of A citizens still haven't learned to speak our language correctly, can't play a decent game of Rugby, & can pick a range of Presidents to RUIN (sorry that should read RUN - I think) your country, proves that we Brits. STILL have something to teach you!! Don't get so touchy about our superiorty Old Boy, we don't try to ram it down your throat ALL the time - we are NOT CNN or Washington!!

By the way. I understand you have some cables for my TENS units which you picked up from AZB for me, is that correct?? I think you were going to deliver them to me here at home but forgot, is that true? Surely you wouldn't forget your poor old Brit friend!!?? Let me know when you are around & I will come pick them up from you.

"She who must be Obeyed" & I will be at the next get together to celebrate giving the US back to the natives, but we will only be there to have 'Drinkies' due to earlier commitments procluding us from joining in on the Turkey & trimmings!!

An ALL BRIT (unless it suits me to be otherwise) - Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Glad to see your making the leap Nick!

And...

For a little bit of fun go to Google and type in "ignorant americans".

We must have a lot of them on DR1 as we appear in the first page of results.

I'm more British than BushBaby, I even look like Mr. Bean :)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I beg your pardon !!

"...can pick a range of Presidents to RUIN (sorry that should read RUN - I think) your country..."

What, are you so ashamed of Munich and it's WW2 aftermath in which we had to bail you (and everybody else) out that you want us to fail the same way?

Or is it because you (Great Britain) used to be the only superpower that you're jealous?

Sorry Robert, but if someone has the right to bash the US on this board then someone else has the right to defend it, even though it is politically incorrect to do so.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My, my Andy, touchy to a bit of British humour aren't we??? If you read the original posts you will see this was all done very much tongue in cheek with referrences being made to Thanksgiving celebrations & who was celebrating, the North Americans or the Brits?!! If someone can "knock" the Brits. in humour, then surely we can respond in the same format, i.e. humour? Or are you suggesting we should just roll over & say "Thank you Mr. US of A, YOU'RE the BEST!!".

By the way, did you know that today is the anniversary of the USA's invasion of Grenada?? Just to keep this thread 'Caribbean' if not Dominican!!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
To the Honorable Gentleman BushBaby:

This is not the 1st time you've done this, and your attack on the US was unprovoked.

It's a joke when you talk about the rebellious colonists, and I would be the first to laugh. You might even be right. The rebellion might not even have happened had it been put to a popular vote, especially in the South. But that was a long time ago and has nothing to do with today's reality.

The only president I liked was Thomas Jefferson, who defined the term "liberal" - absolute right to self defense, freedom of speech, etc. - in other words the antithesis of what passes for "liberal" today in our Orwellian politically correct world.

The most Jefferson-like president recently was Reagan, whom you bash because he recued Grenada from a violent Communist takeover (with help from both Cuba and N. Korea).

Now you attack Bush because he rescued Iraq from a brutal dictator who murdered hundreds of thousands of people. I posted a comment before the Iraq war saying that there were (or should be) higher priorities. That does not change the fact that millions of people have now been freed and that it's a good thing.

Even King George III would probably have agreed.

I haven't seen you say anything about Clinton invading Haiti to replace one dictator with an even worse one simply because the latter had politically correct skin color.

No, I don't like Bush either, I'd much rather have a more Jeffersonian type. But Bush is doing a lot more than his predecessor to try to preserve (conserve) what is left of what is great about the US. The stand has to be made somewhere.

Undoubtedly, as a leftist, you call yourself a "liberal", trying to gain respectability by hijacking a fine old word.

Hypocricy doesn't bother leftists, in fact they deny the very existence of any rules of objectivity.

If you dislike the US so much, why don't you remove yourself from its sphere of influence (which definitely includes the DR)? After all, your own safety, just as in Grenada, is to a certain extent guaranteed by US marines not so far away.

Maybe Cuba would suit you better.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
BushBaby said:
[BBy the way. I understand you have some cables for my TENS units which you picked up from AZB for me, is that correct?? I think you were going to deliver them to me here at home but forgot, is that true? Surely you wouldn't forget your poor old Brit friend!!?? Let me know when you are around & I will come pick them up from you. [/B]
Yup, sorry screwed up. In me glove compartment.

I arrive on the 5th for 31 days you lucky blog.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Andy I called Grahame unreliable ever since he was dragged into this by the Newbie who didn't know what he was starting. I am affraid I started this.

Well you can get even with these uncivilized people by coming to my Thanksgiving Dinner in Sosua so we can celebrate the cleansing of ourselves of these crude and rude peoples.

I am the last one to stand for USA Bashing and I think you know it. Only one I still have the need to get even with on this thread is Robert who will pay for his words he writes. I may even log on as Robert and delete him for his transgressions.

Escott
Temporarily writing from the land of the free and the home of the brave...

PS> does anyone remember Grahame going off on AZB for writing some BS about all the beautiful women he brought to Thanksgiving or Easter dinner in his new SUV. Guess tongue in cheek is something we all need to appreciate more when we are on a message board and cant see the laugh lines around the eyes.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I like "humour" as much as anyone, including sarcasm. Viewpoints that can't be examined are usually not worth having.

Political correctness is the ultimate such viewpoint. How ironic that their current whipping boy is the son of the president who rang in the New World Order, of which political correctness seems to be a part. The leftists should be proud.

Thanks for your efforts at toning down the rhetoric, Escott. I too want that to happen, but I had to say my piece. What isn't defended won't be around long. And no, you were not responsible for what YOU did not say.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ok, how about this. There is a high water tower we can climb and pick off the Brits as they walk by. We can always recognize them because they look so damn funny looking. You take the first and I will take out the second. We may get somewhere in a few weeks with a lot of Ammo!:)

You coming to my Turkey dinner where we plan on Roasting a Brit with an apple in his mouth? LOL

Scott