You saw it here first!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
This is a joke, I hope. The DR does not need less competition in the telecom sector, but rather more true competition!

If this happens, it would make an excellent argument for finally adopting that Competition Law the Congress has been sitting on for the last 7 yrs or so! :mad:

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
You think Tricom cares about competition when it is going under? You think the government cares more about monopolies than losing face in the international community with yet another big company going under?

Tricom already started selling bits and pieces a while back. Bell South bought their Panama branch. If Verizon doesn't buy it somebody else will.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I bought 360 shares of Tricom , beginning in November of 2000 based on a glowing article in Forbes magazine that TriCom was one of the 20 best managed small companies on the NYSE. I still felt that was true, until about a year ago, when I could not bear to see my investment in TriCom withered down.

However, I believe that TriCom President, Arturo Pellerano has done the best he can to manage the company and keep it afloat, amid the declining peso valuation. Most of TriCom's short term and long-term debt required payment in American dollars, yet their income was chiefly derived in pesos. This made for a continous string of losses on their balance sheet. And if TriCom had not acquired a major cable company in Santo Domingo about 2 years ago, then I'm sure their losses would have been even more dramatic.

Sadly, I could not take any more blood-letting and sold my TriCom stock more than a year ago.

What I would really like to see is a bonafide stock exchange in Santo Domingo, where you buy and sell shares in Dominican companies. Golo is smart enough to make it work. And Criss is honest enough to make it legit.

Well, someday, perhaps in the year 2012.