Usad

bendaco

Oct 23, 2003
Is the UASD the best choioce for medical school in DR? I am considering helping fund the medical education of a Haitian man I know. He has been unable to go to medical school in Haiti because he did not score well enough on a test there (although I understand he did fairly well). I am a physician myself and met this man while on a medical mission to Pastor Cassy's school and orphanage in Port-au-Prince.

Is an enterance exam required for admission? Why do they not have a website? I noted that many US physicians have gotten their degree at USAD.

Last edited:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
If you mean the UASD (Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo), that is the "goverment run" university... IMO, it is definitely not one of the better institutions in the country...

I would have to say that UNIBE (Universidad Iberoamericana...my sister is in her 4th year of medicine there) would probably be one of the better med schools in the D.R..

bendaco

Oct 23, 2003
Medical school in DR

Is UASD a "bad" school? And does anyone know why they have no website - that seems like a bad sign. How can I get more info on the school? Must I write to them? Are there any websites that evaluate the DR Medical schools?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I, personally, would call it a bad school... Since its a goverment run institution, it has a lot of "problems". If its not the professors going on strike because they havent been paid in months or being paid too little its the students rioting because they pay for their education and professors dont show up. A few years back I had my car pegged with a rock when I found myself "too close" to the UASD while they were rioting... learned real quick to stay away from those "flash" points while driving in the D.R...

The one time I did enter into the school to drop off a co-worker, the classrooms and buildings looked pretty beat up and I saw no signs of A/C...

I have heard tuition is extremely cheap though...

As far as I know, there arent any websites that evaluate D.R. schools. I'm not sure if the UASD has a website but I highly doubt it...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is pretty much a waste of time and money.

there are several options open to you.
If you speak, read and write Spanish there are at least three good schools that will prepare you for the Boards and a residency in the US
If you are looking for you MD in English...there is a program at UNIBE, but I will not venture to opine on its quality.

HB

bendaco

Oct 23, 2003
Hillbilly, this guy just wants to practice in Haiti

Hillbilly, Tell me, would a haitian who graduated from UASD be at a great disadvantage compared to other Haitian physicians? I understand it is a pretty cheap education. He is dirt poor, of course, and I will have to raise the funds in the US to put him through schjool.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If he is Haitian

And SMART, I mean willing to work his butt off...send him to PUCMM in Santiago...Haitians have a special deal there. A semester would cost less than 800 dollars maybe including room and board.
A fabulous investment IF he can cut the mustard.

There are over 50 Haitians studying medicine there right now.

All classes are in Spanish.

HB