need a new fridge - where to buy best?

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
hi,
my fridge broke, cannot be repaired, I need to buy a new one.

I'm looking for a good brand name, like Whirlpool, Siemens, Bosch (or what else is good?) , with a seperate top freezer, Total volume not less than 14 cu ft, economic on power consumption.

I live at the Northcoast, so it should be a store in Santiago or even better Puerto Plata.
I plan to buy one this saturday, but I won't have much time for going to store to store looking around.

1) Anybody can give me info, where (in which store) can I get the best deal?
2) Any recommendations what brand I should get?
3) Since I bought my last frigde 10 years ago, I have no idea how much they cost now here. Anybody knows more or less?

Thanks in advance for your info!

quaqualita

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Should also be one that can stand up to the power situation in the DR and is capable to being repaired. We have the deluxe model of Bio by Samsung and it has worked well for us. The freezer compartment is at the top. Don't know about capacity.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you care about saving money, you could run an ad in the newspaper saying you want to buy a used fridge.

It'll take an extra day or two, and you'll have to go and look at a couple.

I did that when I first arrived here and was saving $$$. I bought a big used fridge that doesn't look great, but stays very cold and handles the electricity perfectly. It can be without power all day, and the food stays fine.

I was able to negotiate the price down further as I was the only buyer and they needed to sell.

Another way to do this is to ask a fridge repair guy if he knows anyone that needs to sell. I also did that to buy a washing machine, again which works perfectly.

Adrian "the used stuff guy"

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
thanks for your replies.
OK, if there are no other suggestions, I will go to Plaza Lama on satturday.
I checked there online flyer on their website and saw a few once, for around 25000 - 29000 Pesos, wow. Maybe (hopefully) they have other models in stock, which are not quite as expensive.

Yes Ken, you are right, it should be a fridge which handles the (almost no) power situation well and is isolated extreamly good to stay cold, even when the power is out many hrs.

adrainb, I used to be like you: getting used items in good quality and saving a lot $. However, a few months ago, I bought a used fridge - the one what broke down now. I'm lucky, the guy who sold it to us is a friend and he is so nice and will give me most of the money back we paid for it. It could have been different, cause buying something used, I usually will not have any garantee on it - it can break down the next day. You can be lucky or you are not.
I'm right now at this point, that I want a new, great fridge, which I know will run without problems for many many years.

Any other suggestions/experiences what kind of model / brand I should get?

quaqualita

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Scott, Plaza Llama is WAY overpriced on EVERYTHING they sell from TV's to computers, to appliances, and far from the best in terms of price and selection. Went shopping with Mr. JanH for a new TV a few weeks ago. A model similar to what we wanted was around 12K in Plaza Llama. A similar model, with better features by a better company cost us $6600 at PriceMart. I ended up buying three altogether it was such a good deal. A few weeks ago Plaza LLama was selling little 13" LCD computer monitors, about $250 in the states, for $13K Pesos! It was more than the computers!

Quaqualita, if you go to Calle el Sol in Santiago check our Plaza Llama first, then walk two blocks down the street and check out La Sirena for a refrigerator. Both La Sirena's have a good selection at much better prices. La Opera had a few, too, but in my opinion buy furniture at La Opera, appliances at La Sirena or PriceMart.

Prices ranged a few weeks ago from around $10K for a good brand mid-sized refrigerator up to around $55K for a gigantic side-by-side with all the bells and whistles like through the door ice & water, etc. You should easily be able to pick up what you're looking for with $15K or less.

If you want help while you're in Santiago look up Alba. I am sure she'd be happy to go along and show you some of the lesser known places too. Problem is she's going to be here in Sosua Saturday afternoon on for about a week.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Thanks XR, great info, ok.. since Plaza Lama and La Sirena are almost next door I will check out both. I'm planning to go this saturday, but in case we won't make it and go next week I will glady meet up with Alba. Thanks for the offer!

Scott, the one I had WAS one, that I could switch from power to propane. Since we are planning to run soon most of our power from solar, we thought it's a good idea to get a propane fridge and then I got the great offer to get a used one in good shape- so we got it.
We had it run on power and only when the power was out for many hrs we switched to gas. Worked great at the beginning, but I think this fridge couldn't handle very well the different (sometimes high as 120V and sometimes low as 80V) power, off and on. I'm not a technician, but I think that's why it broke at the end. It started not to cool very well anymore. We had very very hot weather when we noticed the problem with the fridge, so at first we thought it's normal. But then it got worst and worst every day, until it totally stopped to work.

It took us several days to find a technician for it. Most local "fridge repairs" can't handle propane fridges. Also, I never felt very comfortable having the fridge running on propane. As a child I witnessed a house blowing up because of a broken gas line - so I still have this "propane-phobia". My water heater is also on propane, but this is outside of the house installed, I'm fine with this - inside is a different story.

And, what we also noticed. Being without power - having no or only one fan running on batteries: running the fridge on propane, there is a little flame on the bottom, which extreamly heats up the house/kitchen.

So therefore, we decided to go back to a "normal" electric fridge. Much cheaper to buy new, easier to repair in case they break, no propane danger in the house, no heating up the whole place.

quaqualita

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
quaqualita, thanks for sharing your experience with propane refrigerators. This is good information.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Propane Phobia...

Well, you just talked me out of wanting a propane Refrig..I had planned on that already but I refuse to have gas heat in my home so figured a flame near my refrig would send me over the edge with nervousness..Thanks for the info and let us know where you get your fridge..Yes I am...I am taking notes..:) PAM

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
XR is right, go check prices in la sirena in calle del sol and also in pricesmart (like costco).
Also there is another la sirena on bartelome colon av. (above Pola supermarket).
Forget about power surges if you are buying japanese or a korean brands, they are made for these types of fluctuations for the the 3rd world electric.
I was given a used fridge (a gift by a dominican that I didn't even know), a Hatachi which is working rock solid for 4 years now. It has survived all kinds of Hi-low power fluctuations and still keep on ticking. It looks almost brand new. This fellow had a huge import business of used fridges and washer/dryer from japan. Then Hippolito changed the law and now you can't bring in used fridges anymore to this country. This man sold almost new looking fridges for the fraction of the new fridge prices. He was my patient and the funny thing was, I couldn't help the guy because he had 2 surgeries performed on his spine. After paying for my services he gave me a almost new fridge. Speaking of real dominicans, he was one of them.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ken said:
quaqualita, thanks for sharing your experience with propane refrigerators. This is good information.
I second that emotion but I am still going to look into them. I don't see how a new one can break down. They burn so clean and are preferred for furnaces. Heat is another story but if you can go back and forth...

Man now I have to give this more thought. You stinker!:)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AZB said:

Forget about power surges if you are buying japanese or a korean brands, they are made for these types of fluctuations for the the 3rd world electric.

I agree, AZB. That is why we have a Samsung refrigerator and an LG TV. Those brands may not be popular, or even known, in the US, but they are best for the DR.,

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
fridges

better bring your own pick up
as plaza lama and la serena and price smart wont deliver.
if no pick up buy from Bellon forexample they will deliver.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No they don't deliver. But in Santiago you can pay a taxi-pickup 100 pesos to take a truck full of furniture or appliances right to your house and unload it for you. La Sirena and La Opera will even call one for you right on the spot.

I would assume they could do the same for you for transport back to Sosua - for a higher fee of course. But probably 500 pesos would do it.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
If you do have to do that be sure and buy or bring some blankets to wrap it up nicely or they'll likely scratch it all up before it ever gets to you.

Last edited:

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
I bought both a fridge with a top freezer and also a stand alone chest freezer. After spending the entire day in Santo Domingo searching for the best price, it was a toss up between "Carrefour" and "PriceSmart. Plaza Llama was the most expensive. I bought from "Carrefour".You need to hire a truck or go, as I did, in a large taxivan. ps... inspect the fridge for damage even though it is in a nice looking cardboard box before leaving the store. I transported it all the way to Boca Chica and left it standing upright for 24 hours to let the gas re-settle. When I removed the cardboard box I found the freezer damaged on the top.I had to go through the same adventure all over again the next day. Good Hunting and have a COLD Presedente for me!

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
My next question was actually going to be about transportation, good to know now that this stores in Santiago won't deliver. But we have a friend with a pickup, so I will hook up with him (or at least his car).

Escott said:
I second that emotion but I am still going to look into them. I don't see how a new one can break down.

Right, a new propane fridge will probably last a while. However, what I learnt now is, once there is a problem with the gas system of such a fridge, the whole system needs to be replaced completely, it can't be repaired. Parts alone would cost about 12,000 Pesos plus work.
The one I bought was used and in a very good shape, with a new gas system just installed. Back then when I bought mine I checked for prices for a new one. This was before the Dollar went up so much. A new one back then was about 30,000 Pesos, so, I don't know, but I guess now they are at least 45,000 to 60,000 Pesos.
This would be about 30 to 40K more than a same size electric frigde.
50K+ Pesos just for a frigde, this is just way too much for my taste, I paid less for my car.

quaqualita

Miko

May 23, 2003
also looking for a fridge

anyone has the web site for any of the stores (if they have one). Would like to check out the prices if possible or at least ask them about what they have in stock.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
got my new fridge!

we had planned to go tomorrow to Santiago and check out the stores recommended in this thread to get a new fridge.

Yesterday my husband was in Puerto Plata and since he was allready there he decided to go window shopping and check out the prices there for a fridge.
He went into Distribuidora Gonzalez and there he saw right away: this beautyfull, mid size, Korean brand (DAEWOO) fridge, 2 doors, freezer on the top, economic in power consumption - just what we wanted!
The price was 14200 Pesos (12800 + tax). Since I daubt, that I get a fridge like this cheaper in Santiago, we decided to buy this one. My husband didn't have that much money with him, but no problem: They offered to deliver the fridge to our house in Cabarete (for free!) and that we pay to the delivery guys at home. Isn't that a great deal??
The fridge came with a 6 month guarantee. Whenever there is a problem with it, I just need to call the store and their technicians will come to our house and fix it.
The stuff in Distribuidora Gonzalez was extreamly friendly and nice, and they offered great service. Whatever household items I will need in the future, that's from now on the first place I will check out.

Thanks anyway for all your usefull info where I should go in Santiago and all the help you offered. But I'm glad, that I don't need now to go through the hassle and drive to Santiago and arrange the transportation of the fridge myself.

quaqualita

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Quaqualita, you were wise to buy the refrig immediately if it was what you were looking for. Anybody who has lived in this country for any time knows that when you see something that is just what you are looking for you should buy it immediately because it probably won't be there in the future when you go back to buy it.