English speakers in Santo Domingo

Sarah-Jane

Oct 23, 2003
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have been staying in Caberete for the past 6 weeks and are now in the capital to stay for a few days. We are thinking of moving to SD for a few months, but haven?t got very good Spanish yet, which makes it a bit lonely here!

We were wondering if there many English people or English speakers around and where is the best place to hook up with them for advice and making new mates? We?re staying at Hotel Jerusalem in the Colonial area.

Also my boyfriend is a DJ (playing deep tribal house/ techno) and is looking for work here. Any suggestions?

All advice welcome. Cheers :cool:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do a search on thread titles with the keyword 'english' and you will get plenty of information, including this thread

Coco's restaurant in the Colonial Zone is English/Welsh run and a good focal point, it is on C/Padre Billini esq C/Isabel la Catolica. Good food too, and real ales. Not far from where you are staying, by the way.

The Helen Kellogg Library on Av Independencia in Gazcue is another.

On the other hand, it may be to your advantage not to seek out English speakers, so that you learn more Spanish by immersion...

Good luck and don't hesitate to contact me if you need more info.

Chiri

Sarah-Jane

Oct 23, 2003
Thanks for your help Chiri- will def try the places you recommend.

On another note, you mentioned learning more Spanish, which I am really keen to do, but unfortunately we didn?t have time to get a good teach yourself Spanish book and dictionary back at home, so have been relying on the back of the guide book!

Any ideas where i can get one in the city? So far have only seen Spanish bookshops.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
spanish book

Originally posted by Sarah-Jane [/irecommend.

Any ideas where i can get one in the city? So far have only seen Spanish bookshops. [/B][/QUOTE

buy a Spanish to English dictionary and read it from back to front :}