Good places to eat Sosua/Cabarete

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Great to have these. I went to a restaurant that was recommended to me by Camdem Tom. In Cabarete behind the pool at Cita del Sol whose name I cant remember. Very good.

I like for an expensive restaurant in Sosua Pier Giorgio.

I like for inexpensive food Rockys in Sosua.

Lets get everyones thoughts!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Scott, glad you enjoyed it. It's called Casa del Camarones. Mary and I enjoy it often. Great food, great service, great atmosphere, very reasonable prices.

Another hidden place we like is Toma la Luna. It's located behind the Velero on the east point. It's owned by a Sicilian chef and his French wife. Good food, medium pricing, very personal service, and Mary thinks it's the most romantic atmosphere in Cabarete.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Across from Britania is that "Shnitzel House"? Great portions at a good price, enjoy eating there everytime I am in Sosua.
WebDev

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Cabarete, the well-known spots.

Fine dining in Cabarete: Mirro's. Right on the water, right next to Jose Macyntires (sp?). Great food, all kinds, nice spices. Owner is Morrocan, she usually has some funky selections as well as something for everyone. Limited, but good wine list.

You may not get many recommendations for the place on the street, she's apparently pissed off a lot of people for various reasons, but I've always found the food, service and vibe to be great.

Lax has great pizza and other food items, I really like the atmosphere. Everywhere has outdoor seating but none more creative than the built-into-the-beach couch. Hammocks, etc.

There is also a fine pizza joint at the far (east) end on the left, don't remember the name.

Cabarete is what I always dreamed the Caribbean lifestyle to be. Hasn't let me down yet.

Thanksgiving 2003 for me.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In Sosua

Super breakfast, great lunches and dinners "La Roca" The best Pizza in Sosua "Marua Mai" a bit pricy but delecious. "On the Waterfront" and Scott's favorite "Pier Giorgio" for romantic or business dinners.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Restaurants - I Know!

Ok, let's start with Miro's - I know, I worked there for a very short period of time with a wonderful chef who has since quite (as I did) and Morena, the most kind, sweetest lady that I've met here in the DR. Miro's food turns out pretty good for the most part, but beware - the kitchen is an absolute cesspool. DISGUSTING!! While I worked there they had a persistant problem with raw sewage running into the KITCHEN!! The ownder (Lydia) absolutely refused to get it fixed during the time that I worked there ...... she claimed it was her neighbors fault and that he should fix it. Come on people - if your restaurant is being flooded by sh*t you're going to fix it right?!?! Don't mean to 'dump' on anyone - I call 'em as I sees 'em.
Now, on to more positive things ...... good restaurants - Toma la Luna is definately good. I've had wonderful experiences there, food was always good, portions are a little big for my taste, service has always been enjoyable.
Lax is a favorite of mine, not only because I know most of the people who work there but because the atmosphere is "Lax".
Jose Oshey's is OK. Prices are a bit high for what you get, but then again, if you're an American tourist looking for your 'comfort zone' then Jose Oshey's is probably it.
For breakfast is it definately Dick's Bakery. Cafe grande con leche is the best in Cabarete (besides for Koaba Hotel).
Then, of course there is Papi's or La Casita - WOW!! Their camarones (sp?) are the best I've ever had!

I'm sorry if I have put anyone off with the beginning of this post, but I feel people should be aware of the 'behind the scenes' happenings - especially if you're trusting a restaurant to prepare food that is HYGENIC and tasty. I'll enjoy reading the other members posts in regards to this thread.

Stay well,
Amy

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cliff... Jose O'shays?

Eddy... Glad I made you a believer:) Jesus I take Eddy, Cris Colon and Robert to dinner at a romantic place? Hell was I thinking? LOL

Amy... If it makes the food taste better I am all for it.

Camden Tom... I went there twice then next time down for a week. Going down for a month and then 2 months and I will be considered a regular. I will make note of the other place. I don't need romantic, I need good food:) Maybe I need a girlfriend and then romantic? Hell I don't know what the hell I need!

There is also a small Nazi joint up the street from Eddy that serves Thai food which is decent. Tam tam bar.

What is the name of that German restaurant that has HUGE portions with bland taste at a cheap price? Cant remember the name of it but I take people there to impress them with my cunning. Plate overflows with food for no money:)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Escott said:
Amy... If it makes the food taste better I am all for it.[/B]

Eddy - yuck!!

Escott said:
What is the name of that German restaurant that has HUGE portions with bland taste at a cheap price? Cant remember the name of it but I take people there to impress them with my cunning. Plate overflows with food for no money:) [/B]

On the main road on Cabarete? The Heksenkessel?

Stay well,
Amy

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Re: Restaurants - I Know!

amy2761 said:
but beware - the kitchen is an absolute cesspool. DISGUSTING!! While I worked there they had a persistant problem with raw sewage running into the KITCHEN!! The ownder (Lydia) absolutely refused to get it fixed during the time that I worked there ...... she claimed it was her neighbors fault and that he should fix it. Amy
Yup, pretty much what I heard. That was after eating there a couple times, I'm going to have to reluctantly pass on Miro's unless that's been resolved.

Amy, good call on the bakery, the most important meal of the day - cafe con leche. Lax is my favorite as well.

Escott: Yes, Jose O'sheas/Shays. Jose McIntyres is in Boston.

You can take me out of Boston, but you can't take the Boston out of me.

"Wayyyhh's my freakin caahhkey's? Wicked pissah!"

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Scott - I was considering that dinner with Criss & Rob more like a business dinner. I know you have something going with AZB so don't want to get him mad at me and Rob is stuck between Iliana and Bianca and Criss is just to BIG. LOL

Amy ? Was that "Yuk" meant personally. I only laughed at your pig I didn't eat it.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Is is called the Dusselldorf - Big portions - small money - decent food.

Who has the best Italian food in Sosua ?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Oct/Nov

Not a good time to try all the best places here in Cabarete!!
Papy's La Cosita - closed for holiday and low season - re-opens on 20.11.03.
Vento is closed also.
I hear that Barrio Latino has been sold? (To French people)? Obviously not making enough money for Onno?
The house of Prawns behind the Cita del Sol - bad news I'm afraid! Christian the guy who managed it got fired and then in desperation took his own life the other day??
I also hear that the Mabuhay (Loisa's Asian restaurant - which did NOT have good food) has been sold to Swiss people?
Quite a few other places closed for the low season so at night there are long parts of no lights and no music - but it's still a fun place to go.
Sewerage? Rats popping in and out of kitchens? So what's new?? But I'm gonna catch the little cheeky rat which dashes helter skelter from Barrio to Onno's every night - even if I have to sit at La Cosita (Presidente still only RD$40) and drink myself silly. Tourists smile or shake their heads as I jump up and dash across the sand ready to drop kick the little b*****d!
If you're in Cabarete please don't feed the beach dogs as they are becoming a real problem!!
Jose O'Sheys? Tourist pub!!! Where else are you charged RD$48.60 for a small glass of post mixed Sprite? AND his beer prices?? His food is good and well priced though even if he recently increased his prices, just use the free rum punch tickets he gives out and eat and run!!
There are of course many choices around our little town so you'll have to make up your own minds which one suits? Everybody has their favourites.
Peter

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Sorry to hear about Christain

Was he the French chef or the greeter and seater guy?

BTW I think Hexenkessel is very good. Big portions, very reasonable prices, a little too much exhaust.

Last edited: