"Expat Database" at DR1?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
After reading a thread that Ken posted it got me thinking.
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26727

How about an "Expat Database" at DR1?

You could choose to display or not display certain details? Your info could be made available only to your registered next of kin?

It also might be handy if someone is looking for a particular type of trades person or skill.

I would like some input on this from other posters as I think this is a good idea.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Robert,

I think that would be very useful to all of us trying to band together down here to survive and make this a better place. But what form would it take? We have lists now of birthdays and such in other threads. Great info, but hard to access from a posting in a thread. I would be great if anyone on DR1 could have access to anyone else's location, professions, contact info like phone numbers, even birthdays, anniversaries, etc. - with the proviso that each member would choose what is publicly available or not.

Does the forum software DR1 is using allow that kind of information to be added and accessed to the 'report' you get when you click on a member's name? That would seem to be the way to do it if it is at all possible!

Tom (aka XR)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would have the software written do do whatever we feel is needed. That's why I'm looking for feedback. I need input on... it should do this, it should do that type of stuff.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
My personal opinion Robert is that when you click on a user name and get the 'Profile' page, that the extra information should be available there. Birthday, anniversary, location, pone, cell, profession, a few words about me, whatever. Even next of kin and all of that. The user should be able to include or exclude any of that information from being publicly viewed. But, it should also be able to be entered even if not viewable publicly so that there is a record that DR1 has should something happen to the person that can be passed along quickly to friends and relatives in the case of a mishap, or accident of some kind.

If that could be incorporated into the software that runs the site, great! If not a stand alone program easily could collect the data and allow other DR1 members to view the public stuff through a seperate URL I would guess.

Just thinking outloud with my programmer's hat on for a minute!

;)

Tom (aka XR)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
yes, I agree with Tom ..... maybe a box where we can enter a bit about if we live here or how often we come ...... a mini calendar to let other folks know when the next visit will be. Do you work in the DR? That kind of thing.
Robert, what kind of info do you think would be most practical?

Stay well,
Amy

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Robert it could easily be done using PHP and a Mysql Database, i think it would be best to open a separate section.

Erickxson
(I sell Mobile phones, i'm not one)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
OK. I am going to bed ...

But to get this on-track to what Robert needs to know, how about we all post then what information should be there and available as opposed to how to do it. Rob's a smart guy, he'll find a way to get there. If you doubt that, just check out his photos with Eddy's Angels. How he managed THAT I'll never know, so this should be a snap!

To get things started:
  • Birthday
  • Arrival Date in DR
  • Phone/Cellphone/Fax
  • City-Area-Location
  • Actual Address if Available
  • Favorite/Most-Hated DR1 Moderator
  • Favorite Eddy's Angel (Robert is Disqualified)
Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
LOL! That was funny "Erickson"!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
been in the business too long..

This is an automated response....

Specification - first draft
Expat Database for the Dominican Republic

Description
A searchable database with web-based data entry forms containing personal, geographic, hobbies and interests, skills and health information about expats in the DR.

Preferred development environment
PHP/MySQL

Functionality and Use
Robert, you can fill out the remainder!

Access Restrictions and Databse Ownership and Availability
This is the one issue that bothers me about this type of thing - I do not particularly want for example my ex-husband's new wife searching out exactly how old I am ;) Example, I found out a few months ago that said ex-husband donated 1,000 South African bucks for the development of an Indie film - I could have stayed without this information as it just pissed me off - given that the bum never paid any child support. ;) And this all on the internet....

Another issue that bothers me - the business of providing addresses for spammers. This database sounds a perfect harvesting ground for this --- (I have had to delist myself on a few databases for South African expats for exactly this reason)

The internet is a wonderful place and I work in cyberspace daily. But, for having my information floating about even for the best of reasons, does not seem a good idea to me. So, my vote would be NO! for a public searchable database. For a non-public, request based database, where a request goes to the database, the 'receiver' is contacted to verify that he/she wants to divulge the information, and then only information is released, my vote would be YES.

So the question is, how far do you want to go (read how much do you want to spend) for a database development such as this Robert? And, can your current profile functionality on DR1 not be simply extended a little to cater for more geographic, interests and hobby type information? Seems to me that you have the basics in place with the profiles and the private messaging?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
To get things started:
  • Birthday
    September 26, 1963
  • Arrival Date in DR
    January 22, 1999
  • Phone/Cellphone/Fax/E-mail
    Home 809.542.0053
    Cell 809.471.7591
    Work 809.542.3356
    Home e-mail, TimHollis2003@yahoo.com
  • City-Area-Location
    S/D, Haina, Barrio China
  • Actual Address if Available
    #2 Penetration
  • Blood Type/Allergies
    O-/ None ( Except to Hard Work & Poverty!)
  • Current Medications/Pre-Existing Conditions
    None/None
  • Next Of Kin
    Carol & Eugen Hollis, 631.226.2036
  • Favorite/Most-Hated DR1 Moderator
    Love all of them!
  • Favorite Eddy's Angel (Robert is Disqualified)
    None, my wife is #1!!!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I share Chris' concern about public availability. Everything on the internet is available to anyone who knows how to get it, and spammers have the knowledge and tools. If Timex chooses to make his phone numbers, email addressess, etc., etc., available to the world, that is his business. But I don't wish to.

For emergency information, I think what we are planning on doing in Sosua is better, in that the information will be in the hands of those who will know soonest if something bad happens.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ken, Chris, it's all out there anyway and not hard to dig up.

I was not suggesting anything be set out you didn't want to have available. On the other hand I would like to be able to contact some DR1 members more directly, or say Happy Birthday, or call up and say 'Hey I see you dig wells on the side? I need one buddy can you help or give advice?' without having to sift through 5 years of posts.

What I was envisioning was somehow adding that info as much as possible to the Profile page and letting each member make three choices about each item requested:
  • Enter it and click Share Public to allow the information to be displayed right on the profile page to anyone who views the profile
  • Enter it and click Share Private to force any request for that piece of information to send an e-mail or PM to you requesting your permission before providing it to the person who asked for it.
  • Enter it and click Keep Private to allow DR1 to collect the information to be divulged by DR1 only as needed in the event of emergency or other previously defined circumstance.
  • Don't enter it and skip the field completely
Such a system addresses both the providing of the information, and the security concerns simultaneously.

This would allow you to post as much or as little information for immediate vieweing as you would like, and it would only be accessible to DR1 account holders through certain message board functions so Spambots and the like would have a tough time harvesting any of it.

One other last thought after seeing your posts Chris, Ken. Chris probably does this anyway, but, I use multiple e-mail accounts. My firends have the important ones, and I never ever use those to sign up for any access to anything on the web so I never get spammed at those addresses. I use rotating e-mail addresses that I change frequently for things such as this. Like TOM-NOV-2003@CALIENTEMAIL.COM. Then, when spammers hit it too hard, it just gets changed to TOM-DEC-2003@CALIENTEMAIL.COM. So it would be easy and advisable for members to just use an account or cell, etc. that allows others to reach them but can be changed quickly with little or no hassle.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have multiple email accounts.

Without posting all the info, it is very easy to contact another board participant. Just click on the PM or email button under one of his/her posts. For board members you desire to establish a more personal relationship with, you can PM or email them to start the relationship, then exchange phone numbers and anything else you desire.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Excellent stuff!

The option to display or not display pieces of information will be entirely up to each individual.

I'm thinking it will be a separate area on DR1. The database development etc is no problem. I have Russians that eat this type of work up all day long.

Avoiding spam bots is not an issue. Nobody will ever get to see the "real" email address, just like the message board.

I will let the thread run for a week or so, then draw up a list of features based on posters feedback.

Keep the input flowing!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ken said:
Without posting all the info, it is very easy to contact another board participant. Just click on the PM or email button under one of his/her posts. For board members you desire to establish a more personal relationship with, you can PM or email them to start the relationship, then exchange phone numbers and anything else you desire.
True, but that's missing my point.

I don't know who I might want to contact!

I located Chris entirely by chance when I needed an internet solution a year ago. Having known that this DR1'er had such a business I would have saved months of hassles and headaches. That's the kind of information that's invaluable.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This thread is not about PM issues, don't hijack it.

If you have PM issues, email me directly.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
XanaduRanch said:

I located Chris entirely by chance when I needed an internet solution a year ago. Having known that this DR1'er had such a business I would have saved months of hassles and headaches. That's the kind of information that's invaluable.

Tom (aka XR)

The good thing is, the database can serve as a means of contact in an emergency and also to put people together.

A massive amount of interaction between posters behind the scenes happens, the database would also help facilitate this.

At the end of the day, people need people...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is it possible to send in all info much like we do in uploading pictures and that way only Robert or whomever is in charge sees the info but when doing a search for the username or looking for an expect in a certain feild, the names would come up and then could be pm ed or emailed as we do now ?

That would keep all info private and the person being cantacted can choose whether or not to reply.

Hope this makes sense. ;)