Electrical outlets

M

Matt Dahlberg

Hi!

Can I expect to find a grounded outlet (3-pin US style) in my hotel room on Flamenco Beach? I need to know since I'm bringing electrical appliances that use the grounded kind. Thanks in advance.

Matt

D

DR One

I would check about the grounding...

This is a problem in the DR, I have been in many buildings and they are not properly grounded, especially older ones. Most electricians here appear not to worry. I have never seen an earth leakage trip!

Rob.

M

Matt Dahlberg

Re: I would check about the grounding...

But I will be able to fit my 3-prong plug, athough it's not properly grounded? Or is it more likely that the hotel room only features the 2-pin type (without the earth hole), leaving my appliances unusable?

Matt

K

Ken

Matt, Bring a simple adaptor to connect your 3 prong to a two prong outlet. Many facilities have grounded outlets while others do not- Ken

C

C. Stering

Your main concern will be electronic devices that require a grounded outlet to accomodae a surge protection device. Computers, or laptops operating with a modem (and some electronic test equipment) should be used with a surge protection device. Other equipment with three wire cords (grounding--3 prong) are safe to use on a 2 wire outlet. If you are using a 3 wire appliance that requires grounding, you also have to be aware of polarization (the hot wire,and the neutral wire or white wire,{{WHICH Should be Grounded!!! }} at the building electrical service entrance device-circut breaker box).

If your appliance doesn't require grounding, or a poloraized outlet, then as suggested, the 2 to 3 wire adapter should be fine. Some Dominican electricians do not understand the importance of a polarized and grounded system.

Regards, CES

S

Siggi

Check before trying

Hello Matt, you should check and test the socket. When there is a 3 pin socket installed then it?s not sure that the ground is conected. Also the ground often is conected wrong and gives no real ground, like that what you know from your country. Take care of you Siggi

C

C. Stering

Check before Using, Good Advise!

You should ALWAYS check an unknown outlet before using it with equip. that requires a reliable ground, (earth/ tierra) such as PCs, or laptops with a modem and surge protection device. A good way to do this is with a 'receptacle tester' (about US$4.00 at Radio Shack, or a hardware store) that simply plugs into the outlet. Neon lites, on the tester, indicate good or fault, such as; open ground, open neutral, open hot, hot/ground reversed, hot/neutral reversed, and correct. The tester is about the size of a 3 wire cord cap that you'd find on a heavy duty extension cord.

Regards .........................CES

PS, see posts by me above .......

C

C. Stering

The reason the 'GFI' (ground fault interrupter), or 'earth leakage device', did not trip is because the ground fault path can not be completed in a 'floating system' (ungrounded neutral). The 'GFI' detects current flow from the hot wire to (through) anything that is electrically grounded (YOU as part of the path, or a short circuted wire).

Regards .............. CES

you