health practices for Dominicans

J

J Williamson

URGENT!!!! need information on topic for college paper due 5/19/99. problems finding information in ENGLISH. Any information would be helpful. thanks!!

M

Myra Pina, M.D.

I am a graduate of a medical school in the Dominican Republic. I am not sure what type of information you need, but I can tell you that medical practice is essentially the same on the island as in the States. For example, the immunization schedules are quite similar. If you're looking for information regarding "country medicine", I can tell you that people in the rural areas, are inclined to go to "healers" or "witch doctors"( for lack of a better word) for their ailments. These "healers" ("curanderos") practice a "holistic" type of medicine (rely on herbs, homemade remedies, etc.).

The women rely on midwives for births. Keep in mind that these midwives are not nurses or any type of allied health personnel.

Regular medical visits are not common. A "medical visit" to the "curandero" is more common. A visit to a doctor is done as a last resource when all else has failed or the pain is too great.

Health practices in the urban areas, on the other hand, are similar to those seen in any major city of the United States. One difference is the physician's bedside manner. A Dominican physician is much more friendlier and patient with his/her patients. Time is taken to build a patient-doctor relationship.

I don't know what else to tell you. I hope that what I have provided will be of some use to you.

Myra D. Pina, M.D. Graduate of INTEC, 1987 (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)