Transport to Constanza

Carla

Jan 24, 2003
Does anybody know how to get from the capital to Constanza by public transport-as Caribe tours does not have it in its itinerary...quick answers would be appreciated
thanks carla

Carla

Jan 24, 2003
is there a metro page in the net? I find getting information on the phone still very difficult as my spanish is not really all that good yet...
carla

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Try Espinal.

It's not quite as prestigious as the other lines, but might have more routes.

Edited to add:

If all else fails, go to Kilometer Nueve (all taxi drivers know it) and ask. Most of the buses pause there on their way north.

You can also ask at Plaza Independencia, near the Conde.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
All of my travels to Constanza have been by private vehicle and for that reason it is difficult to pull the loose ends in to get some concrete information for you on public transport

The distance from S.D. to Constanza is about 135 km, 2.5 - 3 hrs travel time. You are most likely going to have to change buses at Bonao. I do think Ken has it right with Caribe Tours as far as getting to Bonao. Bonao is the town having the nearest access to the primary mountain road to Constanza from the Autopista Duarte. I would recommend when you get on the bus from Santo Domingo to Bonao ask the driver and/or the other passengers where to drop you off, the nearest parada (bus stop) in Bonao for the guaguas going to Constanza. Best to start of early am, that way you increase your chances make a prompt interchange at Bonao without having overnight there. If you have the courage and really want to enjoy the vista of the ride, sit on the right side of the guagua. The guaguas do not operate at night for very obvious reasons.

If you have not made any accomodation arrangements for Constanza, I have a few suggestions. Regards, PJT

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
PJT is right, only local buses go to constanza from Bonao if you are coming from SD. You can take caribe tours to bonao or simply take the local bus (example transporte espinal, as we have it in santiago). These buses will take you straight to the parada in bonao where you would be able to take the next bus straight to constanza without having to take a taxi to another parada if you come by caribe tours. These local buses are full and don't often have a/c. Don't worry the trip to constanza is a uphill ride where the weather is always cold. Do bring warm clothes when you reach constanza. It gets quite cold there at night.
have a safe trip.
Regards, AZB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
On the safe trip note: There is a little little chapel on a turnout at the highest point on the mountain road to Constanza. You thank God for his blessing on the guagua to make there. Then you pray the brakes don't fail downside on the way into the Constanza valley. A little mountain humor and regards, PJT