Best Place to Buy a Laptop?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A friend in Sosua wants to buy a laptop computer. He spent a day in Santiago, but found mainly desktops. He plans to go to Santo Domingo to look next week. Where do you recommend that he go? Are laptops the scarce item there that they seem to be in Santiago?

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Try these places...

Samanel
Galaxia Computers
Micro Gallery

Or GBM if you want to go all the way and get an IBM

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken, we've always bought laptops online (dell or similar) and shipped down. Somehow I have a problem with buying a laptop here - it may be in my head though! From a repubtable dealer in the US, one can get a 3-year international warranty, a little extra but well worth the money - at least for us this far. Both Richard and I have had laptops totally rebuilt for no money under our international warranties.

diaz

Aug 7, 2003
What do you meant totally rebuilt for no money under your international warrenty?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I can only give advice on buying an Apple laptop in Santo Domingo. We have a couple of people here that know their stuff. American owned businesses.

Everything else I import and service myself. The prices here are steep and the service is not that good in my opinion.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Like Jojocho said.

I get my odds & ends at the link below

SAMANEL

Two Toshiba laptops for sale, from their main web, page.

Toshiba Satellite A10-SP127
Procesador Celeron 2.0 GHz, 256Mb SDRAM, 30Gb Disco Duro, DVD/CD-Writer, Fax Modem V.92, 56K, Floppy 3.5" 1.44MB, Video 32MB Intel 852GM, tarjeta de red 10/100, Windows XP Profesional Espa?ol, Pantalla 15" TFT RD$41,900. Cuotas de RD$1,967.
$1197. U.S. @ 35 - 1.

Toshiba Satellite A10-SP177 Procesador P4 2.2 Ghz, 512Mb SDRAM 40 GB Disco Duro, DVD/CD-Writer, Fax Modem 56K, Floppy 3.5" 1.44MB, tarjeta de red 10/100, Windows XP Profesional Espa?ol, Pantalla 15"TFT RD$55,700 ? cuotas de RD$2,615.
$1591. U.S.@ 35-1

Tim H.

tjy

Oct 15, 2003
A few more places to try...

I also believe that you might be able to find better deals in the States, but I have seen laptops at the following 2 places in Santiago:

1. Computer Shop
Av J P Duarte 45 (near Calle Las Carreras)
Santiago
(809) 971-8033

2. (don't remember the name)
Calle Bartolome Colon (across the street from the new Ferreteria Ochoa, near cross street of Avenida 27 de Febrero)

You might also want to try:
Cecomsa
Carr Gurabo Km 1
Santiago
(809) 581-5288

And finally...
Superpagesdr.com will give you a long list of vendors if you search for "computadoras ventas". Good luck.

Mel Laird

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 18, 2003
Chris said:
Ken, we've always bought laptops online (dell or similar) and shipped down. Somehow I have a problem with buying a laptop here - it may be in my head though! From a repubtable dealer in the US, one can get a 3-year international warranty, a little extra but well worth the money - at least for us this far. Both Richard and I have had laptops totally rebuilt for no money under our international warranties.

Likewise Chris, when I have had a "serious" problem with my HP or Compaq, I call tech service and they overnight a FedEx box, pick it up and I have a refurbished unit within 3-4 days.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
I have had very good luck with Plaza Lama, but be very careful with their computers (compaq) as they have been known(first hand) to scavenge the new modems and special graphics cards and replace them with old crap. That was in Santo Domingo.

Jose Solano

Nov 4, 2004
Laptop Solutions

I know a fellow who, in a way, has specialize dealing with foreign people and tourist. He sells all kind of computer equipment including Laptops with warranty.

You can reach him at his celphone 880-3753 and his name is Armando Rodrigo.

Good luck...

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
laptop drive

Does Plaza Lama, or anyplace else in Santiago, sell laptop hard drives?

My laptop is currently eating its drive. I plan on getting a replacement on Saturday.

Thanks

Rare Earth

Oct 22, 2004
Best Place to Buy a Laptop

Bring it by hand from the US, making look is not new. Local importers charge to much of a premium making the price unnecesary high. But if you have no choice, order a Dell by Internet or visit CECOMSA at Sarasota or Bolivar (can't remember exact location)

Jose Solano said:
I know a fellow who, in a way, has specialize dealing with foreign people and tourist. He sells all kind of computer equipment including Laptops with warranty.

You can reach him at his celphone 880-3753 and his name is Armando Rodrigo.

Good luck...