Another strong one in santiago. freakin earthquake

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We were just hit by another strong earthquake in santiago at 6:45pm. This was really strong and shook the house for some time. It must have lasted 10 seconds. I mean, really shook the house and moved it side to side like a train.
Damn, when will this sh*t end?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Another One!

Just felt another quick jolt. 6:45PM AST, 28-OCT-2003. Very short, but enough to make me sway on my feet. I was putting in a computer monitor for Alba, on a little metal stand and the damn thing about fell off and I staggered sideways. Definitely felt that one!

Tom (aka XR)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Felt it here in Pto.Pta

I was reading DR1 and the monitor started sliding over my desk....It must have been at leat a 5.5 and lasted about ten seconds, my dogs are not barking as much any more they must be getting used to it.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Cabarete, 6:45 pm
I was in the car just coming home, didn't feel it. But my husband says, that in the house my alarm went off and a few seconds later doors and windows started shaking. Hope everybody is ok out there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I felt it in Sosua, also. Not like AZB reports for Santiago, however. But this was the first time since this all started that I heard it. Not nearly as loud as before, more like a heavily loaded truck rumbling through the building. It was strong enough here for me to think it must have been quite strong somewhere.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Pretty Good Trace, too!

I wonder if the USGS will report this one. From the previous traces I have seen this looks like, and felt here like another 5.0+. And if you felt it in the Capital, too, I would guess so. AZB, how did Santiago fare? You guys feel that? I sure did!

Tom (aka XR)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Didn't realize until I posted that two threads were going.

Back to just one now Ken. Thank you Timex!

Last edited by a moderator:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
OK, It's not my field, but ...

What is it about not predicting Earthquakes? Is it just me or does anybody else look at the long period heliograms from Puerto Rico? Check out the Mayaguez site in Puerto Rico. It's center, left. The short period chart (red) shows a sharp little earthquake. But look at the Long period chart (green). It's been all over the map for hours. I've seen these quakes 75% of the time coming in these periods of longwave activity that the experts keep telling me I can't feel, yet I do.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Ken I am trying to merge the threads as soon as Timex wakes up! That's what the "Beyond" part of "Weather & Beyond" is all about. I will not be accepting threads about other natural disasters like CC, etc. however.

Last edited:

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
4.8, 8 miles SSE Puerto Plata

it's posted on UGS:
14 km (8 miles) SSE (147?) from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

pretty close to us.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
To be honest Adrian, I haven't felt a lot of the other ones here. I have felt the continual vibration long period stuff about every day. Even tonight I was about to fall over in the house, and my sister-in-law Chiqui felt it too, but Cristian and Alba working 20 feet outside the window didn't feel a thing standing in the yard. Go figure.

I had Rock 'n Roll music playing loudly (it's just that kind of a day here at Xanadu) so I didn't hear it like Ken did, or mistook it for too much bass in the Devo recording playing at the time.

;)

Tom (aka XR)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thanks Gringo!

That's a neat new link I haven't seen before. I am going to have to change the sticky links to include some earthquake stuff. I will definitely add that one, too!

Tom (aka XR)
Looking for some Devo style flower pots to wear on my head to help fend off the falling concrete.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I heard it, too. First thought it was a big truck or something until the stove started shaking.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Just an aside

I was on the Rio Damajagua this past weekend and on the trail leading up to it, the side of a nearby mountain (a significant amount of mtn.) had come down and covered parts of the trail - not while I was there, but during the bigger earthquake a few weeks ago.

The trail had about a foot or two of blonde dirt/mud covering it in some spots. There were also large boulders that had come falling down off some of the taller walls/overhangs.

In addition, some of the pools below the many waterfalls were changed - walls collapsed, broken. Lots of debris around the river.

I'd never been before, so I'm just going by what everyone else was saying about the differences - just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm sure the trail changes on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I felt it here in the capital. I thought I was dizzy for a second or two and then I saw my coffee moving.
I am starting to get a bit paranoid!!!

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Ditto

Felt it here in Villa Gonzalez. Lasted at least 6 to 8 seconds, then just sort of rumbled. Danny heard it coming, but the dog just sat there. Not sure what that means. I had my normal panic attack. I tend to get that way when sitting under a concrete roof with a ceiling fan swinging over my head and my chair dancing across the room! Gotta make another booze run tomorrow. If this keeps up, I'll be an alcoholic.

By the way, did anyone notice the demonstration debris between the Central Market and traffic circle (on the way out of Santiago headed north)? Heard about 25 cars had their windows smashed. Does that count as "Beyond"?

Dianne

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not BEYOND enough for the D.R.

Anywhere else, yes. Here, probably no. They ought to be heading down to Santo Domingo to break a few windows in those new Jeepetas they've bought for old Baldy's crowd instead of harrassing those few folks actually working for a living.

Tom (aka XR)