Homeschooling in the DR

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Tim,

I know there is a thread going on this, but I cannot find it.

I had posted before about homeschooling programs that give a child a Diploma upon graduation. The programs that I listed require a US address for shipping, and stuff needs to be sent to the school on a somewhat regular basis for grading, etc.

Agape is a mail service set up for missions, and, as HB has stated before, Christian homeschool supplies may possibly be sent this way. We have had supplies sent to the mission (for the mission) at a cost of $1.00 per pound. We got a group to send supplies, and we paid the customs. I believe that they paid the cost to ship the stuff to Florida.

Another option is an internet school which eliminates the shipping issue. Switched on Schoolhouse is a program which allows all testing to be sent via the internet. I am sure that there are other secular programs that are accredited in the US.

Switched on Schoolhouse is a program of Alpha Omega. The website is AOP.com. I am not suggesting anyone use or not use this program, as I have never tried it. I am just saying that such programs exist. With a diploma and transcripts from an accredited homeschool program, students take the ACTs or SATs and have gotten admitted into almost any US college. The higher ranking and more expensive schools (Harvard, Yale, Johns Hopkins) have a very good acceptance rate for homeschooled students. (A homeschooled young man received an $80,000 scholarship to Johns Hopkins for this school year.)

I have had many, many questions about this.
Hope this helps.
Mainer