Dollars fall in value

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
on the front page of DR1 is a bit confusing to me. Why would it fall in value?

It mention the IMF getting back on track and I went to the IMF website and low and behold the DR has drawn down there line of credit so far (80%+-) that there is less than 100 million left. How does that fare well even if they get it back together with the IMF.

I stated all along I thought that the DR was going to take the IMF to the cleaners and I don't think there is prayer number 1 of them being paid back.

Dominican Republic 8/29/03 date agreed upon 8/28/05 expiration of agreement 438m Total commited 350 Total withdrawn 93 Most that they can take according to the agreement even if they agree to give it to the DR.

What a freakin disaster!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Scott,

I have been buying lots of computer parts to repair things damaged by the power situation this week and I am not seeing any big changes in the exchange rates on my credit cards. Saturday I received 35.30:1, and yesterday 34.96:1. So 1/3 of 1 Peso less per dollar over that time.

Tom (aka XR)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I changed at 35.70 in Puerto Plata yesterday & I see today Yahoo is quoting exchange at 36.10 (normally about 0.50 what one can get on the street I have found).

The only thing I see the dollar falling against is the GB P & Euros (we discount the Yen because they don't play fair!!) & I doubt that situation will last much longer. - Grahame.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
BushBaby said:
The only thing I see the dollar falling against is the GB P & Euros (we discount the Yen because they don't play fair!!) & I doubt that situation will last much longer. - Grahame.

The Canadian dollar is up bigtime against the US dollar this year.
The Loonie is up around 20% so far this year.
This is a massive move in a very short time.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Oh stop, no one uses the Canadian Dollar. Even though Canada is most famous for being the northern neighbor of the US there isn't a market for your money.

This is a DR related post and if you exchange CANADIAN for DR you get screwed compared to swapping C for US D and then swapping US D for RD Pesos.

Who gives a crap about Canadian money anyway.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If i want to buy groceries or gas

Escott said:
Oh stop, no one uses the Canadian Dollar. Even though Canada is most famous for being the northern neighbor of the US there isn't a market for your money.
Who gives a crap about Canadian money anyway.

I give a crap since I live here. The post was off topic though you got that right. If it was meant to imply bring CAD$ to the DR that's for Nimrods pure and simple.

Actually to his point the fact that the CAD has gained 20% against the US$ means people do want it and there is less of a market for your money to be honest.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
The dollar's strength or weakness on the world market has nothing to do with the peso's performance relative to the dollar. Occasional strength in the peso is likely to be very rapid knee-jerk, followed by persistent (not necessarily fast) decline.

Back to the world market, although the dollar has been weak lately, it's not guaranteed to stay that way.

It has been in a 40 year bear market - originally weakening in the Kennedy administration. Since then, I think that it has made a new low (against hard currencies) under each successive president. Under Clinton, the dollar made its low early in his first administration, then improved dramatically.

Early this year the dollar started weakening rapidly against the other hard currencies. By the early summer, it was approaching its all time lows against the Euro and Swiss Franc. Then it recovered quite a bit before turning down again.

It's still not quite as low as it was in the early summer, though, and it's not a foregone conclusion that it will make a new all time low against the Euro especially. The Euro is not nearly as "hard" as the Swiss or yen. The reason is that the 3 original hard currencies (German Mark, Dutch Guilder, and Austrian Schilling) were greatly diluted when they got mixed with the weaker currencies to make the composite Euro. Already the Euro is being strained by deficit spending by some of its members. (Pity the poor Dutch, Germans, and Austrians who got snookered).

Furthermore, even though currency trends are very persistent, even they don't last forever. Which will it be ... will the dollar drop to new lows against the Swiss and Euro ... or will it break a 40 year trend and recover?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Bretton Woods Economic conference just after WWII set up the IMF to implement a fixed exchange rate between most world currencies. Currencies were not allowed to truly float until the US$ gold standard was removed in 1971.

It took many years to unwind the effects of 25 years of a global fixed exchange rate regime. Since the early 80's, the US$ has fluctuated a lot , but the net effect has been very little change.

Mel Laird

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 18, 2003
US Dollar

IS a manisfestation of the US Govt. Long as the dollar is down, you can afford to ship cheap goods to US and we still buy then for nothing, but you can afford to produce them AT profit

It is NOT GOOD to have you home currency strong against anothers, what does it serve except selling averages of the currency?

US productives are attractive as the cost is low, ofsetting balances to Canada and Mexio,,,and o maybe Japan

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: If i want to buy groceries or gas

ricktoronto said:
I give a crap since I live here. The post was off topic though you got that right. If it was meant to imply bring CAD$ to the DR that's for Nimrods pure and simple.

Actually to his point the fact that the CAD has gained 20% against the US$ means people do want it and there is less of a market for your money to be honest.
We are talking about the fall of the PESO compared to the US dollar and a article in the Daily News of DR1. It said that the PESO should recover with the IMF agreement back on track and my POINT is that the moneys are almost all drawn down so WHY would the PESO recover?

This thread is not about the US dollar or the Canadian dollar. Are you too blind to see this? I couldnt give 2 shits if the Cannuck Dollar doubled in value. It would still be meaningless to this conversation and meaningless to me and probably meaningless to you in the DR.

It wasn't that long ago that the Canadian Dollar and US Dollar were at just about PAR. It goes up and it goes down. Who cares?

It is as if some of you people have nothing else to offer but the price of your dollar for some reason.

Last edited: