C-Sections in the DR

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Our friend had a baby last month in Santiago via C-Section. There seemed to be no medical need, but it was scheduled months in advance. I have noticed that posters have said that their babies were delivered c-section. I am just wondering if this is coincidence, or is this the norm in the DR. Is there a reason for so many c-sections? (CC already gave an answer to this one, but there must be another reason). Doctors in the US normally use C-sections as a last resort sort of thing due to the risk of complications.

So, question is coincidence or norm? If the norm, why?

Mainer (wearing my nurse's hat)

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Good question. C-sections do seem to be very popular here. First of all-not necessarily in order of importance, it is viewed as "painless" by the patient also allowing them to "schedule" the birth. Secondly, in many cases it is faster for the doctor(it is a straitforward surgery as opposed to a natural event following the time schedule of nature.) Also, surpise!, C-sections can be more profitable for the doctor.

P.S. Our baby was born(natural birth) here in the DR recently. W had a great experience with the hospital and doctors. We did go to one of the most expensive hospitals in this country. In the case of our baby, there was a problem during the delivery that could have caused the doctor to do a C-section(IMHO), but she did everything to deliver it normallly and suceeded wonderfully.

NurseRen

Oct 30, 2003
I spent some time working in a medical clinic in the campos and it seemed as if all the women had sections. They all had vertical scars too...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have noticed some of the UGLIEST verticle scars on women at the beach. Almost looked as though the DEVIL just ripped the baby out and had a vertical hand print along with the fingers etc..

You had to try hard to make such ugly scars.

I have known women in the States to make appointments for baby delivery. No muss no fuss. My daughter ended up with an emergency C but that was a needed event for both my wifes and daughters good health.

Scott

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Another"2-Cents" by me!

"Wearing your Nurse's cap",you should know that in most metropolital areas of the US(like Boston for example) C-Sections approach 25%! It is more "Economics",than Physiology!
Just like here/there,time is money!

"C-Section" at 8,golfing at 10! Wth 4 times as much money in your pocket than if you had waited 9 hours for a "normal" delivery!

The "ONLY" good thing about my wife's doctor,is that she knows how to do a "Bikini-Cut" with the best suture line I have ever seen! She will be doing "Section" # 3 on Nov.27th. I am trying to convince my wife that I MUST be in Sosua that week for an "International" meeting!!

I mean what can I do to help?

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
C section rates are always higher in the private sector than in the state sector, for the reasons Criss mentions. In the state sector women only have c-sections if they are absolutely necessary.

The World Health Organisation recommended percentage is 15% of all births. In the UK the trend for elective c-sections is on the up, but it is still not that much higher than the 15% level. I have read that in Latin American countries it is 70% or more.

Factor in the difference between private and public health sectors and you get almost universal c-section rates in the private sectors.

It definitely seems that way anecdotally: people in the DR don't ask you when is your baby due, they ask, 'when is the Caesarian?' They don't ask you how the birth went, they ask you 'how is the Caesarian scar healing?'

The reasons therefore are cultural as well as medical/financial: I find that pregnant women here are told to rest rather than exercise, and pregnancy is treated almost like an illness, with the pregnant woman as a fragile creature who cannot stand in line at the bank and should not be expected to cross a supermarket car park. I am not saying I didn't appreciate the privileges when I was pregnant, but I think it goes too much the other way. For this reason many women are not physically or mentally equipped for 'normal' deliveries.

Childbirth preparation classes are not the norm, partly because women tend to be in closer knit families with female relatives at hand to give advice, compared to Europe and north America. there is also the perception that c-sections are the modern way to go about things, in contrast to the 'primitive' ordeal of childbirth. The same goes with breast and bottle feeding. See also previous threads on this.

Chiri

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Article in today's Diario Libre saying that the DR has the third highest rate in Latin America. The percentages quoted are somewhat lower than my estimates.

Chile 40%
Brazil 27.1%
DR 25.9%

Still well above the WHO recommended rate of 15%.

Chiri

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ihtown - Could you tell me which hospital and doctor you used? My friend is due any day in Santo Domingo, and her doctor wants to do a c-section seemingly without reason. She is resisting. Please reply asap. - Danny

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
here is a link to what most believe to be good tx in santo domingo.

http://www.clinicaabreu.com.do/u/admit.htm

there are many clinics in an area called gazcue{sp} check out a yellow pages.

------

Anyway my wife delivered natural. When I spoke with her obgyn I mentioned a few times that only to perform a cesaria IF NECCESSARY for health of baby and mom. I was present during delivery.

The clinics here like to cut :( for time or greed it is still appauling but out of neccessity ........................

FWIW---- Get a good medical plan for mom and baby if you don't have one already. It will MORE THAN pay for itself!