Housing security

Billie

Feb 19, 2003
I live in Puerto Plata is it necessary to have Bars on the Windows? I know there's a lot of crime. I have a good amount of electronics and would not like to see them stolen.

What do you think?
Billie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where in Puerto Plata do you live? In an apartment complex with good security? What is your neighborhood like? Are people likely to know what you have in your apartment? Are you on ground floor?

There are companies that install those bars. Really not that expensive and go up quickly.

Billie

Feb 19, 2003
I live in a section called Torre Alta. It's a ground floor apartment. There are security gates that are locked at night. It has a large sliding glass door window where people can see inside.

The sliding glass window has me concerned. There are Bars on all of the Windows except for the large sliding glass.

I'm sure it can be installed for very little. I just hate looking out at bars. I feel like I'm in prison sometimes

Billie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you close your sliding door when you are out and at night, you should be able to easily prevent it from being opened. Thieves usually look for easy access. Smashing through a sliding door doesn't seem like something most would want to undertake since it is going to create a lot of noise.

Only you can decide, but see how you can secure the sliding door before doing so.

Billie

Feb 19, 2003
Good news

That's a good point about causing noise. I feel it's pretty safe here as there are very few people around. and I always secure the doors when I leave and at night.

Thanks,
Billie

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Glass Doors are easy targets

Most sliding glass doors can very easely be lifted right out of the track....I know I can lift mine out with no problem, I suggest bars with a lock on left and right sides...( Just for peace of mind )
I live just down the street from you in a very good area and sleep well with mine locked up at night.
Also for me a 9mm in the night table works well.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Re: Glass Doors are easy targets

Gringo said:
Most sliding glass doors can very easely be lifted right out of the track....I know I can lift mine out with no problem, I suggest bars with a lock on left and right sides...( Just for peace of mind )
I live just down the street from you in a very good area and sleep well with mine locked up at night. Also for me a 9mm in the night table works well.
You can fix the problem with lifting the door out of frame in about 5 minutes......just tap a few holes inside along the top rail and screw in some flat/pan head metal screws....adjust them so the door can't be lifted up. As far as sliding goes, just a piece of wood [cut broom handle works fine] dropped in the bottom track will prevent that.

Window grills can actually look great unless they're salvage from a penal institution, and just having them will push an intruder on to a softer target.....however, know that a car jack will pry one of those things out of the wall/window frame faster than grease through a goose. [Don't pass that tip on.]

Burglars don't like two things: light and noise [especially if it's a 9mm going off in close quarters]. Introduce those two factors and your neighbors will take the hit, not you.

Best, P

Billie

Feb 19, 2003
Great idea

Very easy and inexpensive to use the screws. The broom handle is a good idea. Is it easy to get a gun here without being a citizen?

Thanks for the tip
Billie

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Re: Great idea

Billie said:
Very easy and inexpensive to use the screws. The broom handle is a good idea. Is it easy to get a gun here without being a citizen?Thanks for the tip Billie
Hi Billie - don't know about gun...don't live there. But there've been recent threads on the subject that you can look up. If you don't know how to use a firearm, recommend some lessons. Also, if you aren't prepared to immediately hurt the shix out of the other guy, don't get one. He might just take it away and use it on you.

Best, P

PS - in most places a decent size biting dog works wonders. Get a standard Schnauzer...even when they are "socialized" they don't forget their duty at the right moment.

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Billie, Pasha's advice is right on, including the recommendation of the Schnauzer...

Being that I myself am a stickler for security, I would recommend that you do not have a simple framed security bar unit installed in your window. Have the company remove material from the wall itself, and have the bars actually imbedded into the wall. The work would not be too expensive in the D.R. You wouldn't have to worry about someone prying the frame assembly off. Barring a hacksaw or a torch, it would be difficult to circumvent. Here in Italy, the bars are commonly seen, and the artistry is exceptional.

As far as the sliding door, I would also go that 'extra mile' as it were, depending on the value of your possessions... I would have security glass mounted on the sliding door frame. It is a laminate with a lexan or similiar inner layer that can take more than a few sledgehammer blows to compromise the barrier. It might cost a bit for the panel, but the labor in the D.R. is not high. If neighbors know of the valuables you keep, word might go out even in a matter of fact way, and you might become a mark...

Have a carpenter remove your present main entry door, and if it is a D.R. pine job, have him reinforce the inside with a nice peice of high quality plywood. Invest in very strong stainless hinges, and a quality deadbolt lock. I myself would affix 1/16" thick steel strips inside both of the door's jambs, and drill them accordingly to accept the hinge screws and the lock's bolts. You would be wise to also place a 6" length of steel right up against the jamb atteched to the door, placed near the lock, so that your door can't be jimmied. You can have all this artfully done if you find the right technician or carpenter.

Most of the crime in the D.R. is low tech, but with the increased financial hardship, continued deportations of felons from the U.S., etc., a small investment will bring you great peace of mind, and make your stay in the D.R. even more wonderful.

Best wishes!