New Arrivals, Advise, Referrals and commissions

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
You are considered the cash cow when you arrive here, with all your needs for services and need for advise where to go.
Lots of people even from this board will come with advise and
referrals whom to use or which services are the best.
The Dominican fact of life is that:

There are some banks paying people commissions for bringing clients with money.
There are many finance houses paying people commissions for bringing clients.
Most real-estate agents will pay commissions for leads that pay of.
Even some lawyers will pay commissions for good new clients.
Many trades people will pay commissions for big job referrals.

I have often been approached by those people asking for referrals and offered commissions. So I know it is a fact.
I personally send them on there way as this business of commissions is distasteful to me.
I do it for the fun of bringing people together.

So the point of all this is: Is the advise or referral you get the best there is or is the giver of advise receiving a commission for it.

Is the bank or finance house really the best or did they pay a commission to get you?

To protect yourself from this practice ask several other people the same question.
Then pick the person most often mentioned or ask out right if they get paid.

I have met new arrivals who had done something or used a particular person and some times I wondered why would they pay such a price or deal with that particular person.
In the ensuing conversation it always becomes abundantly clear.

The honest adviser or referral agent will say I get paid by that man but I do think he is acceptable .

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I think that this is good advice Paul. I have been offered commission also but have rejected that out of hand. I don't want to be partial for a few cents and sell my soul. I make no commission on anything.

I was taken out to dinner once by a RE Broker for a referral but I tried to pick up the tab and she got there first. She worked real hard to buy my dinner let me tell you.

Scott