Renting Or Buying A Car ?

DON MIGUEL

Jan 4, 2003
Dear friends,

I bought a condominium in Cabarete and I want to stay for my first time at "my own place" for 4 months.

I need a car off course.

Can someone advise me please
a. Renting a car for 4 months but this is very expensive.
b. Buying a 2nd hand car and sell it after 4 months
c. Buying a car
d. Or maybe the 4rth solution, a "dominican solution"????????

Many thanks for your responses ! ! !

Don Miguel
Provence - France

Santana

Nov 17, 2003
Renting or Buying A Car

my 2 cents as they say:

If you decide to buy make sure you buy a japanese car (Toyota), because about 65% of locals drive Toyotas. This will allow you to resell it quickly & it depreciates less than any other make. Most people from the North coast buy in Moca (50 min. from Cabarete), cause the cars have good quality & good prices. I think the two top dealerships, that have made a name for themselves are Turin & Hermanos Cruz.

If you decide to rent, negotiate a long-term rental kind of rate. I personally rent at Adventure rent a car, the manager is part owner & you'll get great service. Their website is www.adventurerentcar.com

Goodluck with whatever you decide. Cabarete is a very nice town.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
where did you buy your condo?

just curious. BTW congrats on your purchase, Cabarete is a pretty cool place.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Don't buy a used car with a timing belt. Unfortunately, Toyota cars use them. No matter how good the rest of the car is, if it has a timing belt, it's likely a disaster waiting to happen.

Timing belts are almost guaranteed to break not too long after the recommended 60,000 mile life. If you're buying a used one, you don't know how long it's been. A mistake would likely cause serious, even fatal, damage to the engine.

At least, when buying a used vehicle with a timing belt, the belt should be replaced immediately - a $300. job. I wouldn't trust a belt bought in the DR either - I'd take it down with me. If you can't trust a can of oil to be full (notice how the seals on them have been lifted inconspicuouly on one side and part of the oil drained before they're put on the shelf for sale), how can you trust a belt to be new. If wrong it could cost you $2000. or more.

BTW, I prefer Nissans when buying used. Even their cars (some of them at least) have gear-driven camshafts, even less likely than timing chains to break.