Used Planta / Generator required

haldane

Oct 30, 2003
Desperately seeking advice from knowledgable electrical engineer re power solutions for small 10 apt complex that has air conditioning. We have a budget of no more than 150,000RDS. A used planta/ generator of at least 25kw would also be ideal.
If you have any info please call Warren on 866 1342 or email mrshaldane@yahoo.co.uk.
Please help :(

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Generators....just a "heads up" on price for a 20 KW genset...

....it is HARD to find low hour, diesel, "quiet" 20 kw gensets for under 5,000 in the U.S.

Typically the ones you will find in the DR with a "decent price" (cheap) have been "run to death" (clocks turned off, no maintenance, etc.).

Time you find a nice "hospital type" takeout and then add the transport and customs charges for the DR you have a couple more thousand dollars tacked on. If this is in your budget, there are a few good generator companies in GA and Fla that you can choose from.

We only rent or purchase generators in the DR IF: 1). we have an emergency and 2). WE KNOW the people and maintenance...which translates into about 2 groups (haha)....

We are in the process of bringing down some propane generators for use around our residential and office buildings....propane is cheaper, cleaner, and more quiet than a diesel counterpart (especially the small units).

I know this is not answering your specific question but it does give you an idea what to consider in your search.

Suerte, Dave

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
generator

Better revisit your budget.
There is no hope in hell you find a decent 25 k generator
for 150.000 pesos.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a 20 kilo Detroit Diesel just for my house!!!

It is "Old and Noisy",but then so am I!!!I have a 3.6 kilo inverter with 8 batteries,but they won't "Pull" all my 220 needs,like air-conditioners,water pumps,and water Well!It is in it's own "house" with sound proofing and a muffler.It is still loud,but only to the neighbors!!!! I have my windows shut,with the "Air" blasting,so I am not bothered!!!When the power is off,I can run the "Planta" for the house,and charge the batteries for the inverter at the same time!

A 25 kilo will NOT be big enough for the apt. bldg.That is only 2.5 kw per unit.No way that will do more than a fan or 2,TV,small refridgerator,and light bulbs!

You are under size,and under budget!!!

Someone talked about "propane" generators here before,(Check the archives!) they were not given good marks!

The Diesel is like the "Energizer Bunny" it just keeps going,and going,and going!!! I have run mine for many days non-stop!!

Cris Colon

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Don't you just hate the posts "search the forum"?
Anyway, like criss said, 25 kilo is no way near the required wattage that you need to run a/c in a 10 apt complex building. You need alot more juice to run those heavy duty appliances. I bet you also have a water pump and fridges in every apartment, oh and washer / dryer? No way, if you connect this generator to the building, you will burn it instantly.
Good luck.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your best hope

Is to scan the newspaper classifieds.

Diesel maintenence is fairly easy, and if your generator section is in good shape, the engine is usually easy to repair.

I agree that 25KW is not enough for your needs. If you have all ten units rented or in use, they shoud have to bear a surcharge for 24/7 electricity.

HB

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
Don't you just hate the posts "search the forum"?AZB

as this was haldene/ Warren's first post there is the possibility he has not checked the forum which carries over six leads with numbers and e-mails which may be useful to him, I understand that that the electrical needs of the apartments have been calculated by an electrician if you wish to confirm their calculations one of sites in the forum may help him , ps AZB I enjoying some of your posts on young girls in Santiago of which you obviously very knowledgeable ;)