Funny Dominican Dichos

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
To all,

So many serious threads on this board. Here's one on the lighter side.

Let's talk about Dominican Dichos.....

Yes, you know...those funny proverbs or expressions, like "pull the leg" in English. Or funny names for things not in the Official Castillian Spanish dictionary such as guagua (pronounced wa-wa Its a bus and the Cubans use this word too.) This thread can be fun and also helpful to anyone who speaks some conversational Spanish (like me) and wants to understand Dominicans better.

Since this is an English board and everthing needs to be DR related, please limit responses to "Dominican Only Sayings" and provide the translation. We don't want the fearless webmeister deleting us, now do we?

Randy

Last edited:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Umm....

Here are some that i thought about....(thinking)

"pariguayo", "grillo" {not the insect, but the really ugly girl at the bar}, "chopo"

i'll try to think of more

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Tony C said:
Last time I check Guagua was in the dictionary!

Unless there's been a change that I don't know about, Guagua is not in the dictionary, Autobus is.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Forbeca said:
Unless there's been a change that I don't know about, Guagua is not in the dictionary, Autobus is.

Forbeca,

When will you learn that I am always right!
From the Diccionario de la Lengua Espanola. Real Academia Espa?ola. The Only Dictionary that matters when it comes to Spanish.

guagua1.
(Etim. disc.).
1. f. Cosa balad?.
2. f. Can. y Ant. Veh?culo automotor que presta servicio urbano o interurbano en un itinerario fijo.
3. f. Cuba y R. Dom. Nombre gen?rico de numerosas especies de insectos hem?pteros, peque?os, de color blanco o gris, que atacan a numerosas plantas, especialmente a los c?tricos, y llegan a destruirlos.
de ~.
1. loc. adv. coloq. de balde.

guagua2.
(Del quechua w?wa).
1. f. ?. Andes. Ni?o de pecho. En Ecuador, u. c. com.
2. f. Per?. Pan dulce con forma de ni?o.

And that is from my 1970 edition. You stand corrected

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
guagua, bus whatever.

Tony Plllllllllllllllllease,

The point was not to debate one word. I threw it up as an "example". No, it is not in every dictionary and two online databases don't have it. Obviously, anyone up here who speaks fluent Spanish (I don't) could have found a better example.

ok, since you have proven it is in Diccionario de la Lengua Espanola and I was wrong then fine. Anyway, your listing says its also a bug, which I did not know. Cool, thanks. See, I learned something from you and your mighty book.

Now, tell me a Dominican Dicho Tony.

Gracias Sr. principe! Una fea es un insecto in su pais, eh? I'll be sure to use this word when my "ex-esposa" makes me mad.

Does anyone know any sayings, besides single words. If you say something to a Colombian that he/she does not agree with such as "Quiero plata", they might say to you "Que plata que ocho quartos". It really does not translate into English but I understand . They also say mosca instead of plata like we say dough instead of cash. Anything like the above in DR?

Randy

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Forbeca said:
Put down that Mexican dictionary, and pick up the Cubano one, guey?

LOL.

Randy, what exactly are you looking for? I never understood "Diablo mi mama!" What? Your mom is the Devli? The Devil wants to do your mama? I mean I know what it means but, I really don't understand it at all.

One that fits your second example that comes to mind is "Guapo" which Dominicans employ to say "I'm angry" but to a Mexican it means "handsome". Similarly "Aduana" in Dominican Spanish is something that collects taxes for Ol' Baldy. It's a whorehouse in Mexican Spanish. Whoops. Wait! Those are the same things. Never mind.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
In search of trivia?

Hi Tom (aka XR),

What am I looking for? Exactly what you wrote. I thought possibly it would be fun to talk about this kind of thing and some people (including myself) could learn something at the same time. I know its kind of a silly subject but everyone has written something interesting.

Chao,

Randy

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
Re: Re: guagua, bus whatever.

Tony C said:
OK Here are a few

"Hoy"
"Pronto"
"este tarde"

Everytime I hear a Dominican say those words I crack up laughing!

I don't get it Tony. Are you saying they are slow, not punctual, or what???
(or maybe I am the one who's slow for not getting the idea here).

Pues, Yo no comprendo nada de eso.

Randy

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: Re: guagua, bus whatever.

minerran said:
I don't get it Tony. Are you saying they are slow, not punctual, or what? Or maybe I am the one who's slow for not getting the idea here. Pues, Yo no comprendo nada de eso.
Oh boy!

I guess you have to live here for that. Ummm. To quote ol' Baldy, "La gente sabes naaaaaaaaaa". LOL! All of the above! Here's a translation for you:
  • Hoy - Today if I feel like it (and I won't!)
  • Este Tarde - It's late. Ma?ana!
  • Pronto - See Hoy
And you forgot a couple like:
  • Ma?ana - Not Today
  • Ahora - Anytime between Now and the 12th of Never
  • Ahora Mismo - OK! Just stop TALKING and maybe when I finish my Presidente I will feel like it. See Hoy.
  • Ahorita - See Ma?ana
Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
samiam said:
The word Guagua comes from the Canary Islands

One of my favorites here is Cojelo suave

What does the expression "Cojelo suave" mean?
What thought does it convey?

Randy

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
Re: guagua, bus whatever.

XanaduRanch said:
....I guess you have to live here for that. Tom (aka XR) /QUOTE]

Thanks, Tom.

Absolutely one must live in the DR and hear these expressions in context of a conversation to really understand them! A local must explain them. Like "Diablo mi mama" as you said - which makes no sense in English. Thats why I find it so interesting.

However, to quote an expression in English which also is nonsense when translated, we are probably starting to "beat a dead horse to death" (repeat the same thing over and over) with this thread.

Randy

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ahorita

A guide book to Latin America defined 'ahorita' as "similar to the Spanish 'ma?ana' but without the same sense of urgency".

Also note that in some parts of Latin America 'ahorita' means RIGHT NOW while in others, like the DR, it means 'in a while', or 'later'.

Chiri

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Excuse me Randy..

Tony C said:
Forbeca, When will you learn that I am always right!
From the Diccionario de la Lengua Espanola. Real Academia Espa?ola. The Only Dictionary that matters when it comes to Spanish.

But I have to respond to this one. You are not always right! You somehow find a way to get out of your own mess.

Randy:
Ever heard of these:
Dime con quien andas, y te dires quien eres....
(I'm not a translator, but the idea is: Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are).

Yo me arropo hasta donde me llega la sabana
(I can only do but so much)

Hambre que espera no es hambre (that's an easy one)

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Also note that in some parts of Latin America 'ahorita' means RIGHT NOW while in others, like the DR, it means 'in a while', or 'later'.
Or 'a short while ago'...

Somebody, bring on the dichos! 'Cause, you know...

El camaron que se duerme, se lo lleva la corriente...

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Jane

No fair. You have to translate what you're saying for gringos like me. This thread could be very helpful to folks, such as myself, who struggle daily just to pick up a new word or two.

What I find most frustrating is when I get pissed and the fact that I have no retorts. Being a smart ass in English just doesn't have the same effect especially when no one understands. How about a few snappy "come backs"?

Keep up the good work.

Dianne

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, right, sorry, D&D.

The shrimp who sleeps is carried away by the current.

(Very inelegant in English....)

How about this:

El que anda con cojos, al a?o cojea

People who hang around with people who limp will also limp. Or something like that.