Best tour to Los Haitises?

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Hallo,

I will be in the DR with some friends in three weeks.
We plan a day trip to Samana with a tour to PN Los Haitises and if time permits also to El Limon. I have seen both, but not on one day. We can arrive in Samana as early as 8 am and should leave not later than 4 pm.
Last time I did the tour to the NP from Sanchez, but I think that company is not in business anymore. I remember that it took quite long to cross the Samana Bay with their boat, especially the return trip was quite boring.
So what is the best tour to Los Haitises from Samana, best/fastest boats, early departure, prices? Maybe small boats to hire one for us five or six people? How long will the tour take? Is it realistic, to plan both on one day?

Thanks a lot

Tibu

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
My husband and I went on a tour to Los Haitises with Amilka Tours/Resaurant in April 2003. It cost $550 RD each and we called ahead to make a reservation. There is a delicious lunch waiting for you when you return. Here is the phonenumber:# 552 - 7664 (i hope this is still the number)

They are located in Sanchez. Sanchez is about 30 - 45 mins from Samana. I think on corner of Duarte and Col?n. The boat takes you out for about 3 hours through the many islands of the park and through many caves. If I remember correctly the tour left at 9:30 am and by the time the tour and lunch was over it was about 2pm.

On the way to the park, some dolphins swam up beside our boat. This was unexpected and a delight for everyone. The guide was very knowledgable about the park and caves and the many birds that live there. It was a good trip.

I have been to El Limon as well in 2001. We rented horses and walked the last 15 minutes down a very steep hill to get to the waterfall. We stayed a couple of hours and swam and made our way back to where we left the car. At least 3-4 hours.

It would be hard but not impossible to do both the tour of Los Haitises and El Limon in one day.

Have fun! I enjoyed both very much.

Edited to add: Sanchez is about 30 - 45 mins from Samana.