Multiple sign-ins on Internet

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Do any of the rest of you have the same trouble that I have in maintaining a reasonably lengthy sing-in thru Codetel??
It seems that every time I sign in, I can go to maybe two or three sites, then the damn communication with the Codetel server s**ts the bed and I have to disconnect, wait at least 2-3 minutes for the system to hangup so I can reconnect and get on with my surfing.

I have been paying for unlimited internet time since my first hookup. Could it be that since I'm a captive, Codetel is telling me to
go fly a kite and they'll have my money anyway???

I'd really hate to think that!!! Might really result in a rage syndrome that wouldn't do either me OR Codetel any good. Can't ever tell about us Texans, though.

Texas Bill
PS
I got kicked off in the middle of this posting and had to reconnect for the 11th time since originally signing in 30 minutes ago.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Texes Bill

Your living in the dark ages......the only way to go here is with Codetel Flash, I have had it over 2 years and never been down and its Super F..............................ast.
Your phone line is not tied up either.

Gringo

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Robert, your right. Flash is not yet available in Manzanillo. When Codetel will condescend to let us have it is debatable.
I'm not sure it'll be in my lifetime since they buy obsolete equipment from the States to install here in DR. Or, at least, used equipment.

Texas Bill

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How about Direct TV Sat. Internet Service?

Texas Bill said:
Robert, your right. Flash is not yet available in Manzanillo. When Codetel will condescend to let us have it is debatable.
I'm not sure it'll be in my lifetime since they buy obsolete equipment from the States to install here in DR. Or, at least, used equipment.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

I have direct TV Sat. Service here in Pto.Pta, And I have an American address for billing ......Just an Idea but would you not be better off with American TV programing Via Sat. Service/ with the Internet high speed service I see them piching on all the comericals...

I have had my dish just over 18 months and would not be without it .

Gringo

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Gringo;

You're probably right. I have a Direct TV system with the standard small dish for the States that doesn't work here. In addition, the card is definately out of date and probably wouldn't work anyway. I'd love to get this system working again, but don't have the foggiest idea of how to do so. Don't even know how to get billing in the States though I have an address where the bills can be sent and paid through my agent there. I would need a larger dish (available here?) and a new card that can't be zapped, and if it is, a couple of spares for immediate replacement.
As far as Internet through sattilite is concerned, I wouldn't know how to set it up even with step by step procedures. I always manage to goof up someplace. I don't think there is a technician here who could set it up for me unless the instructions were in Spanish (if he could read them).
Any ideas/instructions/suggestions as to how to go about the above without a lot of technical explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Texas Bill

This a little off-thread, but let it stand, please.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Same here

I'll be on for a minute or two, then I get bumped off. Happens as many as three or four times on an average surfing stint. Get back on fast enough, just annoying. We also have VIP. Flash was twice the price, so we decided to stay with what we have.

Dianne

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Your phone line quality can have a major impact on your dial up experience. For example, when my Trace DR series inverter is running, my dial up connection was impossibly slow and often won't connect at all. This in spite of the fact that phone service seems normal. I recently got a new computer. After using it a few times, I was convinced that Tricom had installed a new line- it even worked when the inverter was on albeit a bit slower. The speed was breathtaking in comparison to my still fast two year old system. When I booted up my old computer, I realized that the modem was the difference. Both modems are 56K. I explained this to my techie brother-in-law and he told me that some modems are much more susceptible to line inerference than others and that "good" modems aren't necessarily less susceptible. In fact, he cited that US Robotics (my "old" modem happened to be a US Robotics modem) which are installed in a number of Dell computers seem to be susceptible to line interference in spite of being "good" modems. Also, the wiring within your house can have a major impact on dial up speed or rather the lack thereof.

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
adsl is a good deal

D & D said:
I'll be on for a minute or two, then I get bumped off. Happens as many as three or four times on an average surfing stint. Get back on fast enough, just annoying. We also have VIP. Flash was twice the price, so we decided to stay with what we have.

Dianne
I used to have the same problem with dial-up and like you DD I didn?t want to hook up flash for the cost of it, but I did my math:
VIP line +/- $795(basic) + $300 (taxes) = $1095
Internet fee $330
That is $ 1425
Internet flash : $ 1795 (tax inclusive) the difference is $370
You have both internet 24hr/day and your VIP line clear, I think is a good deal , because you really see the difference.. In my case is useful since I work so much in the net...
I took an offer that they made , they give me the router free

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
ADSL related question

I hope this isn't too off topic.

I would love to go to ADSL, and Codetel offered it to me in June, BUT I have a laptop that I connect from different locations. Does anyone know what Codetel does in that situation? The customer rep I spoke with told me that she did not know either, but would need to research it. I never really got an answer.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
stay online with dial up

Texas bill I hope this helps I used to have the same problem until a few weeks ago, I read in a PC magazine of a free program (stay online) its available at (downloads,com) it works great for me stops me being disconnected and didn't cost anything good luck B/C

Last edited:

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Re: ADSL related question

La Profe_1 said:
I hope this isn't too off topic.

I would love to go to ADSL, and Codetel offered it to me in June, BUT I have a laptop that I connect from different locations. Does anyone know what Codetel does in that situation? The customer rep I spoke with told me that she did not know either, but would need to research it. I never really got an answer.
Well there's nothing they can do because not every line you connect to can support broadband connections. That's the only advantage dial-up has over broadband; with dial-up you can just hook into any phone line and get connected.