New to Northern VA and to the forum

ElPulpo

Nov 1, 2003
Hola, My name is Will I use to live in Santiago DR for 10 years then NYC then Boston now I'm in Northern VA 10 min from DC and MD been here for a year and havent meet no Dominican people if anyone here if from this area please post it I been looking for a merengue, bachata and salsa chia.

I'm also new to this Forum and its the best
gracias

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I am sure you will hear from Dominicans in the area. Keith R. is married to a dominicana and I believe kingofdice is dominican, but I could be mistaken since I have never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. HB has a better list of dominicanos that post here that live there.

I lived in Waterford for 4 years....NoVa is a growing, lively place. The only Dominicans I knew personally lived in Leesburg and Ashburn.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Kingofdice is not dominican. He is an american and a very cool one indeed.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bienvenido, ElPulpo

Hi ELPulpo, welcome to the ranks. I live in Alexandria now after living in SD 4 yrs. My wife is Dominican. Feel free to e-mail or PM me and we can get together. Many of my wives' cousins are now in this area and we have a number of Dominican friends in the region, and have heard of some decent places for salsa and merengue (can't help you so much on the bachata, which is not my cup of tea).

Charlie (kingofdice) was born in WVa like I was and lives here in Woodbridge. As Azb says, he is indeed cool. ;)

Kalima (kjdrga), who formerly lived or spent long periods in the DR and is married to a Dominican (I think), lives in Annandale. Doesn't post often anymore and never answers my e-mail, but we still love her anyway. [Hey Kalima, I still have some cold Presidentes waiting for you & hubby.]

Vilma (hormiga) lives & works here in N. Va. If I recall, she is Dominican-American. Nice lady.

John (Superstar) lives in DC. Rarely posts. Is American but fell in love with the DR during a visit. He's cool.

Natasha, a lovely and intelligent Dominican married to an American, lurks but never posts anymore (which frankly is DR1's loss). She lives in Arlington.

DCfred is a Dominican who says he lives in DC, but he never lets the rest of us DC Metro Area folks meet him, so we can't confirm it.

Bill (Pasha) lives in the area (Maryland side of DC, I think) for the time being, before he gets posted abroad again.

I'm sure I'm leaving some people out. And I am very certain that there are many many more DC area folks on DR1, but for reasons I cannot fanthom, they like to stay quiet. I have called on them several times to consider a DC Area get-together, but most remain bashful. Hey guys, I don't bite! My parties can be fun! Just ask the NYC, SD & Sosua reunions! ;)

Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Keith,

Sorry I haven't been around, my father died suddenly (age 61) two weeks ago and I had to fly down to Texas to be with my mother and brother, while my hubby was vacationing (w/o me) in the DR. Try getting a flight from DR to TX in less than 10 hours, wasn't possible.

Perhaps in a while I feel up to getting together right now we are trying to adjust to this. (If you recall it was a year ago that my husband's mother died suddenly (age 42)) We are beggining to think we are cursed.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Welcome

ElPulpo,

Welcome to DR1,

I hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.

Kjdrga,

Sorry to hear about your father.

All the best,

JD

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
kjdrga said:
Keith,

Sorry I haven't been around, my father died suddenly (age 61) two weeks ago and I had to fly down to Texas to be with my mother and brother, while my hubby was vacationing (w/o me) in the DR. Try getting a flight from DR to TX in less than 10 hours, wasn't possible.

Perhaps in a while I feel up to getting together right now we are trying to adjust to this. (If you recall it was a year ago that my husband's mother died suddenly (age 42)) We are beggining to think we are cursed.

Kalima,
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My deepest sympathy. I do indeed recall about your mother-in-law. This must be tough. Well, if there is anything my wife and I can do, please do not hesitate to contact me. And whenever you feel up to it, let us know and we'll have you over for the best asopao and tostones you've ever eaten. I hope you still have my phone & cell numbers.

Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. I know a bit about DR-TX connections. While living in SD I had to give a presentation in Houston -- took most of a day to get there.

More Dominicans then your think in NVA

My wife and I live here and we have get togethers and cookouts all the time with other Dominicans. My wife and I raise goats so we get quite a few people over for chivo, chulitos, mangu, sancocho etc. on the weekends.
Drop me an email sancochojoe@yahoo.com or send my wife an email at dominicanodecora@yahoo.com or throw her a chat, because she lives on the internet.

But there are several in the area, Some in DC, few in Arlington,
Tons in Woodbridge, many in MD and a handfull in the Fredericksburg area. Since club names change so much in DC I can't help you on that. My party days are over, but any Salsa club in DC will throw in a few Merengue tunes, but very little bachata.

If you ever see a White Maxima driving down Route 1 heading from Arlington to Fredricksburg with a short stop in Woodbridge and some loud Merengue and bachata coming from it, it is probably me. :cool:

Last edited:

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
A place to go is the Latin Palace, Baltimore. They bring Dominican bands and the DJ is very partial to Dominican music. The Latin Palace is downtown, Baltimore, on Broadway. It reminds me of the old Mambo clubs from the movies. BTW, Keith-- if you are ever in DC lets do coffee and I will show you that I exist!!!!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I hear Los Toros Band is playing I think it's this Sat. at Cuzco Restaurant II on Univerisity Blvd. in MD. My husband and I are entertaining the idea of going to see them even though I haven't been able to get through to the restaurant to confirm that they are playing and what the cover would be.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
My wife and I love Los Toros. (singing "al pasito lennnnnttoo...." right now:)). Let us know if you manage to confirm details. Maybe some of us can do it as a group, if you're game.
Best Regards,
Keith

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Hey Gang,

I am also in the Northern VA area, Woodbridge to be exact. MY wife is Dominicana. If you ever see a Champagne colored 02 Ford focus flying down the I-95 or cruising RT 1, just give a wave.

Sancochojoe, do you really raise goats, I sure like meet you buddy, nothing beats barbacued goat with rice and beans.:lick:

It sure would be nice if the he VA gang would organize a get together while the weather is still nice.:D

Please send me your contact. I can get my wife to call your wife, since she is at home most of the day. We love to entertain, and plus we go up to woodbridge a lot and play dominoes, or go to the park in woodbridge and play some softball with other Dominicans.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Hey Gang,

Jwb said:
I am also in the Northern VA area, Woodbridge to be exact. MY wife is Dominicana. If you ever see a Champagne colored 02 Ford focus flying down the I-95 or cruising RT 1, just give a wave.

Sancochojoe, do you really raise goats, I sure like meet you buddy, nothing beats barbacued goat with rice and beans.:lick:

It sure would be nice if the he VA gang would organize a get together while the weather is still nice.:D
As kingofdice, your neighbor (I think Hormiga also lives there) and others can attest, I have been suggesting a NVa get-together ever since June, but had few takers until now. How about it, guys? Pot luck, beer & dominos, anyone?

Keith:cool:

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
There is a restaurant in DC called Carolinas, it's on 14th St. They play Bachata, it is a small place and it gets crowded on Saturday nights. I haven't been a quite a while myself. As stated previously, many of the Salsa clubs in the area will play merengue as well. There are a number of other places that play bachata but you will most likely find more Salvadorans there than Dominicans.

If I know that I will get a good showing,
my wife and I can plan for a get together at our
place. We just need a head count and contacts.

We are currently down from 20 goats to about 7 due to
past cookouts and I don't plan to eat them, because the rest
are almost like pets and some I raised by hand so there hands off.
I would need to go to the local livestock auction near my place and buy a couple of chivos for a cookout and take them to a Dominican friend of mine who prepares them with his machete.

My wife is known now in Northern Va as
"Ana la de los chivos" so if you run into other Dominicans, just mention that and they probabably know us or been to our house.

Oh, did I mentioned they sell "Presidente" were we live so that would be available as well.

We can always plan for spring also if the weather is not promising, so there is no rush.

Dont worry we have room to entertain, we are on 7 acres in a Log Home with a wrap around porch, so a warm spring day would be better so we can all sit outside and have a good time.

Last edited:

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Sorry.....

but I'm also out of town. My father also passed away unexpectedly. Should be back home by next week. We live over near Dulles Airport.

Best, P

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Hurry hurry step right up !

Send your contact info to Sancochojoe VA folks. I spoke to joe at great length last night and guess what , he is a great guy! He is down to earth and is really easy to talk to. Personally I am not a phone person:alien:, but somehow between Joe and his wife, my self and my wife , we conversated about the DR for 45 minutes with great ease. So if any other DR 1'ers (new word) in the VA area is interested in meeting, lets go for it. Even if for just an hour or two.