Organic Food

napoleon

Nov 2, 2003
I live in Sosua several months per year. I'm interested in having organic fruit, vegetables, etc. delivered to my door once a week or so. Does anyone know if there is a company providing such a service?

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
Don't know of an actual service but a little info about the produce in the Cibao ...................... Only the VERY BIG Co-operatives seem to use chemicals. Most of the small markets in any small town have produce from the 'Mom & Pop' type farms that dot the countryside here and believe me especially with the economy NOBODY is using chemicals. They cost to much.

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
Juan,

Thanks to the chemical sales man, Long ago ?Mom & Pop? had discovered that it is cheaper to apply ?veneno? to control pests and diseases than to lose their crop or settle for measly yields. They will cheat, lie, kill, borrow or steal to get a hold of these cheap chemicals to control phytosanitary conditions without even knowing what exactly they are applying or without a complete knowledge of how to apply it. The sad fact is that a lot of these products are banned in many countries but they are readily available here in the DR. Even on chemicals that are not banned, the allowed MRL (maximum residue level) and Harvest Intervals (a time period between the last chemical application and harvest) are not observed because government controls and consumer protection are non existent.

My point is whatever you do, don?t assume that all ?mom & pop? operations are that clean. The rule of thumb is to wash your fruit and veggies to death before consumption.

As for organics, make sure the produce you are buying is sourced from a farm that is certified by a reputable organic cerifier. By doing so, you will be encouraging more organic production and you would be doing your future generation and Mother Earth a great big favor. As far as significance of health benefits, I personally don't believe consumption of organic fruits and vegetables would extend my life expectancy even for another day.

By the way I did not know that co-operatives exist in the DR for vegetable and fruit growers. Do you know of any other than the rice growers?

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
D.D. said:
Juan,
My point is whatever you do, don?t assume that all ?mom & pop? operations are that clean. The rule of thumb is to wash your fruit and veggies to death before consumption.

By the way I did not know that co-operatives exist in the DR for vegetable and fruit growers. Do you know of any other than the rice growers?

Yes very true, maybe I should not have said Mom & Pop :) More to the point DD is correct for safety if you do not know the source wash,wash, wash...

More than half the fruits and veggie I eat right now are 100% free of chemicals, etc.... how do I know? I see it with my own eyes or should I say don't see it. I am not into organics but it just seemed to work out this way.

The guy (Mitay{sp}) who watches the plot next to me puts up a big cross as his very own special pest control. I'll attach a photo of himharvesting last months yucca. 1 week later batata in the ground. Never once was a chemical entered into the environment. The tops of the yucca are left on sides of plots to de-compose or at some point burnt.

There is a big coffee co-op very close to me that supplies Santo Domingo coffee, believe it's name is something like the villa trina co-operativo ??? (going to have to look next time in town.) something villa trina..... I also know of a big group that sells eggs..............

mitay.jpg