New Golf Courses at Playa Rincon, Samana and Restarting Highway

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
From today's HOY newspaper. I'll believe it when I see it, but don't doubt it's possible:

Fecha: 2-11-2003

Un banco de Colombia financiar? autopista

La construcci?n de la autopista Santo Domingo-Saman? ser? reanudada este mes luego de que un banco de Colombia aprobara el financiamiento de US$125 millones y empezara su desembolso, revel? ayer el senador Ramiro Espino.

Enviar por Email
Imprimir
art?culo

Guardar
art?culo
Suscribirse a HOY Digital

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cambiar tama?o

Por Pedro Germosen
Redactor de HOY

El senador de Saman? dijo que la informaci?n se la suministr? el presidente Hip?lito Mej?a, quien se mostr? interesado en el desarrollo de aquel polo tur?stico.
Manifest? que seg?n le informaron el jefe del Estado y el secretario de Obras P?blicas, Miguel Vargas Maldonado, la construcci?n continuar? sin pausa hasta que sea concluida.
Espino se?al? que seg?n el consorcio Carretera del Nordeste, que ejecuta la obra, el tiempo de construcci?n restante es de un a?o y seis meses.
Record? que se trata de una concesi?n en la que el concesionario invierte el 80 por ciento de la inversi?n y el Estado el 20 por ciento restante.
La recuperaci?n de los recursos invertidos se har? a trav?s del cobro de peaje en la autopista Santo Domingo-Saman?, que tendr? una distancia de 105 kil?metros.
Tras se?alar que la construcci?n est? pr?cticamente paralizada, el senador Espino dijo que el presidente Mej?a y el titular de Obras P?blicas le aseguraron que este mes los trabajos ser?n reanudados y continuar?n sin pausa hasta su terminaci?n.
Se?al? que el mandatario le dijo que la operaci?n de canalizaci?n de los fondos entre la entidad prestataria y el consorcio ejecutor de la obra es realizada a trav?s del Banco de Reservas.
Expres? que la v?a acercar? a Saman? y la capital, ya que el tramo podr? ser recorrido en alrededor de una hora a velocidad moderada.
El congresista del Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD) signific? que esta obra dar? un gran impulso al desarrollo tur?stico de su provincia.
Por otro lado, el senador Espino inform? que inversionistas privadas anunciaron la construcci?n de dos campos de golf en la comunidad Rinc?n de Las Galeras, Saman?.

Copyright Peri?dico Hoy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The PRD is getting ready for the election. They are going to be promising big things to every sector of the DR in the hope of getting their votes on election day.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
highway

no doubt you're correct, but even so, if they work on the highway for another 7 months, they might get the 1st km of the highway completed! if the land they're talking about for the golf course is where i think it is, down in the valley, below the town of rincon, then that would likely make a great place for a course. soft, rolling land. gets a decent amount of rain as well. and has good soil. we'll do some investigating and find out who owns that land and who, if anybody, is behind the plan or if it's just a bunch of hot, white air.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jasper, how is the golf course at Las Galeras? During the years I lived there, a lot of work was done and a lot of plans were announced. So far I have seen no reference on this board to anyone playing it. Does that mean what I think it does?

What about the huge marina in the Samana harbor, the cruise ships coming in to discharge passengers, etc. I see a lot of pilings and a huge area has been stripped of top soil for, I suppose, a parking lot able to hold several thousand cars. What is the status of that project?

The list is long; the above doesn't even scratch the surface.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
broken promises

too true. but all the projects you name are government projects for the most part. the highway is 80% private money. so if it's not just a political gimmick, then it might come to something before we take in our last breath. the golf courses they say are private as well. but might be a political gimmick. we'll have to hear more this week when it's announced. but if golf courses come, then that means that the hotel project at rincon will also begin. as far as cruise ships go, i read somewhere that there will be 2 weekly cruise vessels this winter at samana - up from 1 per week - due to popularity of destination. the most hopeful sign is the fact that a runway is being slowly dug out at El Catey Airport. I saw it with my own eyes 3 weeks ago. I know cheering for samana is akin to being a cubs fan - no sense getting too up, because they'll just let you down. but if you look at the big picture, then i think you'll see it makes sense. if one is going to make a significant project, then now is the time to do it. the peso has fallen tremendously, land can be bought at a steal from desperate land owners, lots of unemployment so even though the cost of materials has gone up significantly, investors could surely do a large-scale project and save tremendously over just a couple years ago or maybe in two years time if/when peso stabilizes to historically normal levels because labour is plentiful and cheap. I know for a fact that 350,000 sq mtrs of beachfront on rincon bay sold this week to foreign investors. once the imf deal is signed - and it will be because usa doesn't want anymore boat people into puerto rico and they will ensure a deal is done - then you'll see the area transform quickly. as far as the marina, maybe if leonel comes back, he might finish what he started - if he has any money. but we'll have to wait until his Broken Promises Tour 2004 hits Samana. talking to one of the managers of casa marina las galeras a few weeks ago, he said that they still have plans to convert the land beside the hotel into a golf course. i don't see that happening, but the land is still in their hands apparently.