Work in Dollars, Live in Pesos.

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
As a long time lurker on this board, I must say how impressed I am at not only the amount of valuable information but how close knit the contributors seem to be. Very nice to see.

I too have been bitten by the DR bug. I have been to the DR 4 times, the first two times I was not overly unimpressed but went there because it was always so economical from Toronto. I stayed in an all-inclusive type resort. This past summer I went to Sosua and was finally able to see what the DR was really like outside of the confinds of an AI resort. I was blown away by what I experienced. There is a feeling about the place that makes it feel like home. The people, the attitude, the weather, the music..... heavenly. I returned 7 weeks later for another trip and only feel more in love with the DR.

I lived in the Virgin Islands for an extended period and was bored after a couple of years there. I truly don't think I'd tire of the DR, it is so much more vibrant. Like many, I now am dreaming of ways I can be there on a more regular schedule.

Anyway, my question is, for the many of you on these boards living there, what kind of work do you do there? How does one "work in dollars and live in pesos" as suggested in a previous thread? If you buy real estate there are you accepted well into the neighborhood or do they see you as a threat or wealthy gringo? When some of you moved there, what was the biggest shock or surprise you experienced? Where do you live and how does it compare to Sosua? Does the town of Sosua accurate reflect what some of the other town you live in are like?

I know there are a lot of questions here but I'd love to hear some of your comments.

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You will be accepted just about any place if you are friendly. Dominicans are naturally friendly people and respond very positively to friendly people no matter what country you are from.

Sosua isn't typical. Cabarete, very close to Sosua in distance is very different. But it isn't typical either. Each community has its own character and pluses and minuses.

If you are going to live in pesos you need to think in pesos. Never think something that sells for RD$500, for example, is cheap because that is only US$15. RD$500 is a lot of money and should be spent with consideration.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken is right - communities differ in terms of their feeling, what goes on there and how people are. I've had a group of friends visiting and staying in Sosua this past week and each time we got together, they assured me that they still enjoy the slumming experience... (OK, Sosuan's don't shoot me!). Cabarete has a totally different feel. One person described it to me with quite some humor - in Sosua, one needs to pay for the ladies, in Cabarete, they'll go with you simply because they like you... Cannot say if this is true, but nevertheless, I enjoyed the description.

We looked at the situation quite carefully before we came here. We had one business earning dollars and could continue with this business. We set up another, stabilised it and then moved it into a free zone. So, we earn in Dollars mainly, and live in Pesos. It works for us, but it is a very fine line. I know a number of people in technology that earn in dollars but live here, and live in Pesos. I do not know if any other business, besides exports and technology, could lend itself to doing this...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hey Chris, I pay for the women in Cabarete and Sosua! LOL

I make money the old fashioned way in the DR. I make it on interest on US Dollars. I make a few bucks renting out condos and that is in dollars also. If I had to work in the DR I would NOT live there.

Good luck.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
Hey Chris, I pay for the women in Cabarete and Sosua! LOL

Forgive me for going totally off topic here - I had 8 friends visiting Sosua this past week - all male - never been to the DR. Like kids in a candy store - I've never laughed so much - I'm seriously considering becoming a madam! Scott, once I've completed this career change, for a small fee, I'll tell you who the ladies are in Cabarete that "do it for love!"

To try and keep it on track - I guess the sex trade is another way that you can earn in Dollars and live in Pesos - but you need to focus your trade and your target market on the newcomers. Their eyes just about fall out and they'll pull dollars out of their pockets like candy -- and spend days chasing women and spend hours debating, will she or won't she... And then when they want to move over to action, they cannot speak more than two words of Spanish - and look at me with hangdog eyes, please please translate!. Altogether a fun career I think!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris said:
Forgive me for going totally off topic here - I had 8 friends visiting Sosua this past week - all male - never been to the DR. Like kids in a candy store - I've never laughed so much - I'm seriously considering becoming a madam! Scott, once I've completed this career change, for a small fee, I'll tell you who the ladies are in Cabarete that "do it for love!"
Chris, being a woman you just don't understand at all. Forget about being a madam. I don't pay women for sex. I just pay them to leave after I am finished:)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
LOL - Right! maybe you've got a new career in movies -- there was someone not too long ago that wanted to shoot xxx movies. You must be a natural! I'll immediately do a search on the DR1 boards in order to make the introduction to the producers! Your stage name could be -- The Man Who Every Women Hates to Leave!

Sure you did not need to pay a little extra 'cause the lady was just so unhappy that you needed to sweeten the deal for her?

Scott! stop it - we need to be serious here!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Of course I pay extra. Money is not an issue and I want all the women to be happy. So, what the heck is wrong with that????

I love women. I love nekkid women even more. I love nekkid women even more than that when I am nekkid. Get it yet?