Cultural Center in Santiago

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I just saw the show "Santo Domingo Invita" on television (I'm in NYC metro area) and they usually show the "good" things of Dominicana. They did a report on a new cultural center in Santiago (Centro Cultural E. Leon Jimenez). I would like to know if anyone has been there and check it out. If so, can you please tell me if it's worth to go to. I usually spend sometime here planning my next visit to Dominican and I usually blend it with Family time and "tourist" time. I would like to know if it's really as nice and impressive as the show made it seem. Thank You.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was just there last Friday and

It is realy and truly worth while.

It costs all of $1.50 to get in (RD$50 pesos!) and they have guided tours for twice that (RD$100)

We spent three hours walking around, and it went fast, only my legs telling me that I had been on my feet for a long time..

They have a shop there with 100% Dominican made items that is really fabulous! I was impressed!

They have three main areas: The family and how it started.
The Caribbean and Dominican cultures--outstanding artifacts and really great museography (displays) unlike anything I have seen else where. And ART. over forty years of Contemporary Art from the Dominican Republic. Really the best of the best...and it is not boring.

Outside, they have a replica of the original building and a cigar rolling operation. Only the very best rollers are there, and I know, because I am in the business. These are not putting on a tourist show, they are doing their daily job. And there is a very good cigar store. Next door to that is an aviary with all sorts of ducks and water fowl..Very children friendly. Benches to rest on and there is a snack bar for stuff to fill the ache in the gut.

I am sure that you will enjoy this, there is nothing like it in the DR....

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thank You very much. I am looking forward to visit that. It's about time that Santiago had a place of that kind. Do you think this is the start of a tourist must see sights in the Cibao? Lets hope not, I like the Cibao because its not touristy and yet the economy seems better there than most of the country. I guess only time will tell. Thank You very much, very informative.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are welcome

I don't think that there will be a tourist boom, but if just the local student population goes there it is worthwhile seeing.

HB