broken promises

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
too true. but all the projects you name are government projects for the most part. the highway is 80% private money. so if it's not just a political gimmick, then it might come to something before we take in our last breath. the golf courses they say are private as well. but might be a political gimmick. we'll have to hear more this week when it's announced. but if golf courses come, then that means that the hotel project at rincon will also begin. as far as cruise ships go, i read somewhere that there will be 2 weekly cruise vessels this winter at samana - up from 1 per week - due to popularity of destination. the most hopeful sign is the fact that a runway is being slowly dug out at El Catey Airport. I saw it with my own eyes 3 weeks ago. I know cheering for samana is akin to being a cubs fan - no sense getting too up, because they'll just let you down. but if you look at the big picture, then i think you'll see it makes sense. if one is going to make a significant project, then now is the time to do it. the peso has fallen tremendously, land can be bought at a steal from desperate land owners, lots of unemployment so even though the cost of materials has gone up significantly, investors could surely do a large-scale project and save tremendously over just a couple years ago or maybe in two years time if/when peso stabilizes to historically normal levels because labour is plentiful and cheap. I know for a fact that 350,000 sq mtrs of beachfront on rincon bay sold this week to foreign investors. once the imf deal is signed - and it will be because usa doesn't want anymore boat people into puerto rico and they will ensure a deal is done - then you'll see the area transform quickly. as far as the marina, maybe if leonel comes back, he might finish what he started - if he has any money. but we'll have to wait until his Broken Promises Tour 2004 hits Samana. talking to one of the managers of casa marina las galeras a few weeks ago, he said that they still have plans to convert the land beside the hotel into a golf course. i don't see that happening, but the land is still in their hands apparently.