New Gym in Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Happy to report that a new gym will be opening in a month or so in Sosua. The owner will be Marco, whose gym was closed after the earthquake made the building it was in unsafe.

The gym will be in the Hotel Sosua (closed) building on the ground floor, in what was supposed to be the hotel gym and spa, but never equipped.

This is a great location, not only because it is little more than a block from my apartment. It is also an easy walk from the new Victorian House/Sosua Bay Hotel and from Casa Marina Reef/Beach and the other hotels in Sosua.

I can hardly wait. Since the M&S gym closed in September, I have been going to the other gym in Sosua. Better than nothing, but not the same. No supervision, so normal gym etiquette not followed, and the owners are very reluctant to run the a/c.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Glad the gym has opened for you.

But too bad for us. Always enjoyed seeing you coming from the gym while we ate the high cholesterol breakfasts at La Roca. Is there a breakfast place near the Sosua Hotel so we can still watch you saunter down the sidewalk?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Now that's a good building.The new part anyways. I watched that being built and is suppose to be earthquake resistent if there is such a thing. You'll be safe Ken ;)

Ken is the cafe still there so Janh can watch you go by?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Ken is the cafe still there so Janh can watch you go by?

Anna, very glad to know that the building was built with care.

Yes, the restaurant is open, but I won't need to pass and the entrance to gym not visible from it.

What JanH and Doug should do is join me in the gym. I know they golf, but what they may not realize is that if you don't do resistance exercises you lose 10% of your muscle mass between ages 25 and 50 and 35% more between ages 50 and 80. Everyone, including JanH and Doug should be lifting weights by midlife. That means you, too, Anna.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, but I don't expect to see you there. Even that would be more physical exercise than you are accustomed to.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken - dear - after that snide remark about middle age - I have to say, I've never seen you look like you've worked out. Not even reddened cheeks.

I think you go there to catch up on all the gossip, while you're laying on the electric massage chair.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken,

Great info on resistance training. I calculate that I have increased the muscle mass in my brain by 1000% because of the resistance I have met from Jan on trying to convince her to let me make another trip to the DR on my own.

I tried telling her that the "Squeeze to Please" palace was just a joke but no success.

Doug ("ripped" effect on brain)H

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tom, if you are a resident and "join" the gym, the present charge in Sosua is RD$400 month. For visitors who want to use the facilities for only the period of their stay, it depends on the length of time. I believe a month is about RD$750; lesser periods are less.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Ken- Ten bucks a month? What kind of equipment do they have, rubber bands and rocks??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Randy, if you lived in the Dominican Republic you would know better than that.

If it were possible to limit the clientel to Americans and Canadians with plenty of money, then prices would no doubt be much higher. But RD$400 is not a pittance to the average Dominican in the Sosua area.

The equipment is excellent and there is plenty of it. I hope you will take a look next time you are in Sosua.

The gyms in Santiago and Santo Domingo are even more luxurious. I think AZB mentioned that Gold gym in Sosua charges RD$900/month. But he also mentioned that many Dominicans have had to drop out because they can't afford it in these very difficult economic times being experienced in the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
re Ken
The price for a month is 400 peso for everybody.

Tor, I don't understand? Is this a question or statement. If latter, it is not correct. It may be true in Golden Gym, I don't know, but it wasn't and won't be in the other gym, as indicated in my earlier post.

Last edited:

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi All,

We are going to be in Cabarete in mid-December, and my friend is an avid body builder. He had asked me if there was a gymn nearby so any info on when this one in Sosua will be opening and how much it would cost for a week's membership would be great. Of course, we can always find out when we get there.....

Thanks,
Rose

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There will be at least one gym available. Coming from Cabarete there is a big sign on left side of the highway just as you get to Sosua. The gym is at end of the short side street.

The other gym will be opening inside the town. It is the one I prefer. The a/c will run all the time the gym is open, and supervision will be 100% better. In the one gym now open, nobody unloads a machine after using it, for example, and free weights are lying around the gym on the floor.

When new gym opens, it will be posted.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Ken will check it out in Jan. Always have a few workouts during vacation- great for working off the night before. As for living there, not just yet. Gotta get 2 sons thru school - then getting the f##k out of here!

Last edited: