Purchasing Apt in Sosua

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
Hi Everyone,

A few more questions if you don?t mind. I am considering buying a 2 bedroom apartment in Sosua/Cabarete area with either one or two other friends. The majority of apartments I have seen seem to be in residence/hotel type configurations with security services etc.

My questions are:

Would you prefer to buy in one of these complexes or something more on their own? I assume that the complexes are more of a coop situation, does that increase liability, expenses?

Many of the apartments I have seen are in the $50k US range. How is the real estate market right now for these? Should one offer substantially less?

I would like to be within walking distance to Sosua but would like to stay far enough away from the sounds of the motoconches etc. Any suggestion on places?

Has anyone bought an apt in with a friend as a partnership? Any good or bad experiences?

Thanks everyone!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Some of the complexes are coop situations but some are not.

More important is location and services. The most important service is 24 hour electricity. When government power is off, has it has been frequently of late, the complexes planta takes over. If your complex has these services, they must be paid for in some way. The monthly maintenance fee paid in a coop is for this purpose.

I live in El Neptuno inside Sosua. It is a coop and I pay monthly maintenance fees. The apartment I bought had two owners. One had a 75% share, the other 25%. As far as I know, they had no problems.

I would suggest that you write up your question about buying as a partnership and post in in the legal section so that Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in that section, will see it.

As far as prices, I believe the consensus is that prices are at bottom and starting up.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Buying with friends has never worked out for me. Never lost the friendship over money but never realized what I should have or expected to have realized. I have the money to do work and he didn't. I wanted to do this, he wanted to do that. For me it won't happen again.

I think Ken has a Condo and not a Coop. There is a difference. I think most of what I have looked at are Condos on the North Coast.

Most apartment complexes have security either 24 hours or at night. Not 100% sure why but there must be a reason. I haven't seen many with HOTEL type services although there are a few that offer some services.

I bought at El Neptuno because of the quiet. Stayed at others but they were too noisey either with the Motoconchos or the freakin fruit venders out of the back of trucks with Blown Loudspeakers that annoyed me to no end. On a very bad day if I had a rifle I would want to pick them off. Thankfully I didn't have a rifle!:)

Blue Bayou is a complex that should be quiet and Perdomo Century 21 is building a complex sort of across the street from El Neptuno. Those should be quiet and if you find others let me know.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it is a condo. Used his word knowing that what he probably meant was condo since, as you point out, most are condos.

Those Perdomo condos across the street are probably out of his price range. they are being sold for US$200,000+ to $350,000. (Doesn't hurt the value of our condos in El Neptuno to have near neighbors selling for that price.)

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
How much do you pay for monthly maintenance in a place which includes 24hr water and electricity?