Washing Machine

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone advise what would be more economic:

Purchase a washing machine here in the states and have it shipped to the DR

OR

Purchase one in the DR

Any insight would be greatly appreciate.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The DR. It will work and you will get support (of sorts).

Right now the prices are good if you think in US$ :)

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Can you please tell me where is the best place to go to get one in Santo Domingo and what cost are we talking about??

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
Definetly buy it here.

---

First machine i bought american style(auto) my maid could not work. Soooooooo it might be better if you bought the local type that has 2 seperate tubs... one for washing and one for spinning. 4 years ago it was $RD 3,000 or somewhere around that price for a medium sized LG. Don't even know if you can get one like that in the USA :)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Buy here. The machines (two tubs) come in various sizes starting at about 10 lbs load capacity up to 18-20 lbs. Prices start at about RD$ 4000 and up. They are compact, economical, provided with basic instrumentation ( less parts to break), and they wash great. They are just right for the Dominican market, providing that you have water and electricity. Regards, PJT

You shop for them at Plaza Lama, La Curacao, and Corripio.

Last edited:

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
PJT,

Not being very familiary with these places, where are Plaza Lama, La Curacao, and Corripio located?

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
No, I am not. I will be arriving on the 21st. This is not for myself. It is a birthday gift for my mother-in-law and I wanted to surprise her by getting it without her knowing it. I could just as easily ask her, but I want this to be a surprise.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
negrecita2003 said:
PJT,

Not being very familiary with these places, where are Plaza Lama, La Curacao, and Corripio located?

Plaza Lama is at the intersection of Winston Churchil and 27 de Febrero and on also Av Duarte near Parque Enriquillo. La Curacao has a lot of locations, the one I'm familiar is on Av Duarte near Parque Enriquillo. Also Distribuidora Corripio has many stores. The one's I have entered are Av Duarte near Parque Enriquillo and the one on the south side of Av Kennedy near Nunez de Carceras. Regards, PJT

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
You might find lower prices at either Carrefour or PriceSmart. They are both large stores in Santo Domingo. You might have to arrange transportation on your own or the store may have indendent drivers with a truck. This is an extra charge,but I will think you'll find the prices are cheaper.PriceSmart is a members only club.Plaza Lama and Carrefour are open to the general public.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
The best value in washing machines is a semi-automatic SINGLE tub model, something like a US washing machine but somewhat smaller, and a whole lot lighter.

Its single tub is still a lot bigger than that of the 2 tub models, and has the added convenience of not having to put the clothes into the 2nd, smaller tub for spinning.

Two years ago, with the exchange rate at 16:1, the model to which I refer had a best price of about 4200 pesos. A 2-tub model cost about 2500, but did not compare to the other one. I ABSOLUTELY would not give a 2-tub model to anyone - if the recipient is worth the gift of a washing machine she is worth the extra money for a good one.

Its vertical profile is roughly square (slightly rounded corners), about 20 inches on a side. It just fits into one end of a shower, good for saving space and letting any overflow drain harmlessly into the shower rather than onto the floor. It's light enough that even a woman can lift it over the "lip" (is that the right word) of the shower.

There is still plenty of room in a standard shower to take a shower. The unused washing machine is the perfect height for a shelf that would be needed anyway - as a holder for soap, razor, shower cap, and panties (Dominicana wash cloth).

This style/size washing machine is a nobrainer. One manufacturer is LG, I think (green buttons). Plaza Lama is an excellent place to buy it. In Santiago, there is a store at the corner of Calle del Sol and Espana (I think, if not, then it's the next corner south, toward the monument). Elektra also has good deals sometimes.

Getting it home is no problem. For a few pesos more than for yourself, a pick-up taxi will take the both of you.

Edited to add:

On 2nd thought, I think it was a Samsung; anyway works great.

Last edited:

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
Get it down here. I bought a "GOOD" one as well as a dryer here and the price was the same as the US.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominicans really do seem to like the "2 Tub" models!!

I have a big "Maytag",and a big "2 Tub"!The two tub washes on one side,and spins dry on the other side! It spins so fast that the clothes come out nearly dry! Important where most have no drier!They dry in no time coming out of that "Extractor"! They also (Dominicans) are comfortable with the simple controls on the "2 Banger"!AND,you can get them fixed on any street corner! And they cost about 1/3 what the single tub agitator models cost!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccris