Local cuisine in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianZ

Oct 25, 2003
I am staying in an AI resort in January but I really want to check out a few local restaurants. I want to try some authentic DR food. Not the Gringo stuff most of the AI's serve.

Any suggestions??

Thanks, Tony

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Try any of the cafeterias around lunch time. The one at Supermercado Jose Luis is good (2nd floor) or the one on your left hand side a little before you get to the lights by the hospital.

Moniki

Oct 6, 2003
We asked for authentic food and were taken to La Ponderosa Del Mar - have no idea where exactly it is in POP just know its in the city. We were told by our friends there, that itson the expensive side. However, considering the quality and amount of food that we atethe $35.00 american dollars including tip that we paid was worth it.
Its a steak house and they have fresh lobster that you can pick yourself from the tanks.
I personally enjoyed the food - we had been living off of fruit and salad at the hotel so were in need of a good meal.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Try La Parillada, I used to eat there on a regular basis, you can sit outside under a thatched roof, the staff is excellent and the food is fantastic. It serves your bifstek and yuca on a wooden cutting board and the flavour is out of this world, of course, there are other choices on the menu. Also, and I am sorry for this, but I can't remember the name of the place, but it is on the Malecon and if you take the street just past the baseball stadium down to the Malecon, it is just a few blocks down. It overlooks the water, and serves great Dominican cuisine and is a local joint!! I just wish I could remember the name, but maybe one of the other DR1's can supply the name.
Chris and Mady's is a really good restaurant as well, but I don't know if you want to travel all the way to Cofresi or not.
Also, there is a restaurant directory on the home page of DR1 that will give you some suggestions as well.
Whatever you do, try to get out there, staying in an AI, you could be any where in the world, you must leave the resort to get the real feel of being in the DR.
Enjoy your trip
Marlie

CanadianZ

Oct 25, 2003
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. keep em coming. I plan on getting away from the AI for sure to check things out.

Tony

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
El Manguito

is a Domincan typico restaurant across the road from Cafe Cito (between Playa Dorada and Costa Dorada). If you are in Sosua at lunch time you could try Restaurant Central in the Los Charamicos (Dominican) section of Sosua. Last time I heard the price a 1 lb. lobster dinner was about $185RD pesos (about 5 bux US).

If you are west of POP past the Riu complex try the fish place in Plaza Johanne for fried fish and tostones.

Enjoy.

Gregg

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes............Jose Luis!

A.J. said:
Try any of the cafeterias around lunch time. The one at Supermercado Jose Luis is good (2nd floor) or the one on your left hand side a little before you get to the lights by the hospital.

I agree with A.J. Supermercado Jose Luis is very good and always freash, there is a good assortment and its only 40 Pesos ( 1 US ) and i bet you can't eat it all?
Enjoy

Gringo

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
It deppends

It depends on what you want, like in Cancun you have the same as in the states, Chriss & Ruths steak house, TGI Fridays, Chillis, etc, you don't want that, so if you really want a typical good fine sea food here, if I can recommend some in the POP-Sosua area, get to Maimon (Parada Maimon), best fish &sea food in the north coast, or in Costambar get to Pascual's same as good, at the beach, nothing fancy.
But as the other replies the common thing here is rice & beans & chicken or beef or pork.
I would suggest & agree on the Ponderosa.
Try a sea food "Asopao"
Bon apetit!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.