Please I want to move to DR right NOW

Papi'sGirl

Nov 5, 2003
I am married to a Dominican. I am American. We want to move to the DR. He has not been there since he was 14 and longs to go back to the lifestyle and friendliness of his country.
I am a Licensed Nursing Home Administrator and a Licensed Practical Nurse. Every job search link I find says "no jobs found in your search criterea" because I search for jobs, any jobs in the DR.
Does anyone have any advice on how to find employment or how does one go about just packing up and moving over with no job secured. We have elementary school aged children also.
Any advice or personal stories would be so very appreciated!:confused:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola, Papi'sGirl!!!!

Papi'sGirl, Have you ever been to the DR?
What part of the island does your husband come from?
Are the kids in school now?
Why not come for a long vacation?
You husband might cure his home-sickness, and you would have tested the water before jumping in.

What you are thinking of doing, takes some planning.

For other People's stories of moving here, try the link below.
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 4,688, Threads: 25,379, Posts: 160,372

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Do a search

You do not say where in the DR you want to move. Does your husband have family there? I cannot speak for the cities of Santo Domingo or Santiago, but your nursing license is pretty useless in the Sosua area. Trust me, you do not want to work in a public hospital. I found that most of my foreign friends owned a business of some sort. The business owners tended to hire Dominicans because they will work for lower wages.

If your husband has family that you can stay with, maybe you can do it. Otherwise, I would come down with enough cash to float the family for at least 4-6 months. And enough cash to go back if you cannot find employment that will support you. It all depends on what you expect your standard of living to be. Several of our friends who were once fairly affluent are doing very poorly financially. The peso has been spiraling downward, and rents, some school tuitions, and most real estate are priced in dollars.

For instance, one friend was making 60,000 pesos per month and doing well when the peso was 20 to 1. Now her income has been halved, inflation has been dramatic, and her rent is still $800 US per month and her son's school tuition $450 US.

Other expats work as teachers or in Real Estate. I am sure that things are different in the cities, but Sosua/Cabarete areas are not cheap. If you go out a ways towards Samana, you will find less expensive areas such as Sabaneta (?sp) and Nagua, but very little chance (if any) of employment.

I am sure that long-timers can offer more advice, but if you run a search, you will get most of your questions answered.

mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are going to be in Sosua area, I know of a doctor that might be very interested. She has a German nurse working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day because all the Dominican nurses she hires quit after a very short time. Not interested in working, it seems. I doubt whether the pay would be high, certainly not even close to US pay scales, but it could be a job.

Papi'sGirl

Nov 5, 2003
I want to move to DR right NOW update

You guys are wonderful! I hope I continue to get such wonderful and helpful posts! To clarify more information:

My husband does have a brother in Santiago. Several Aunts and Uncles spread out from Santiago to Santo Domingo.
The brother has said we can start out living with he and his girlfriend. Especially because we have children I really really don't want to do that for any extended period.

My brother-in-law has suggested that we come over with our entire family for a vacation in March or April and see how we feel about the area. I am trying to arrange that now.

My brother-in-law also suggests that we look into opeing some type of small store/boutique. I have serious questions about that in the fact that inflation is so bad, money is so sparce in the DR how can we get a store or any type of business going in to that environment.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
1st step!!!!!!!!!

Liten to your Brother-inlaw!!!!!;)

My brother-in-law has suggested that we come over with our entire family for a vacation in March or April and see how we feel about the area. I am trying to arrange that now.

This would be a very smart move!

Have you ever been here before?
And will your husband have any trouble going back & forth to the U.S.??

Thanks
Tim H.:cool: